Healthy twist on the cheesy broccoli casserole childhood favorite with broccoli, cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt and quinoa.

broccoli cheddar quinoa casserole 600 - The Wimpy Vegetarian

A couple of months ago, Chobani reached out and sent a case of plain Greek yogurt (large cartons!) to our home to try. We had to reorganize the refrigerator just to fit them in. But I was thrilled. I start every day with a bowl of yogurt, fruit, granola and chia seeds to power through the morning and early afternoon. I also add yogurt to soups like Persian Yogurt Soup, this Pan-Fried Chickpea Salad with Curried Yogurt, my Farmhouse Strawberry Cake , and a little in my Blueberry Coffee Cake. I use a LOT of yogurt.

I spread the yogurt wealth to a couple friends. We all had the same take on Chobani Greek yogurt – fluffy and smooth with a feeling of luxury without the calories. It’s a little on the tart side of average, but that’s fine with me. It actually makes it a stronger flavor ingredient when baked into a recipe. And I’m switching to Greek yogurt, so the timing was excellent.

I had held out for awhile on this decision. Greek yogurt strains out more of the nutritious whey in yogurt, so I wasn’t sure the Greek style would be as healthy. But when I saw the difference in protein, I made the switch. Since I eat almost no meat and only a little fish, I need to be conscious of my protein, a critical building block our bodies need. I aim for 50 grams protein every day, so the extra 8 grams in Greek yogurt compared to regular yogurt is significant.

I’m currently doing some tastings of the various Greek yogurts out there to latch onto a favorite. I really liked Chobani, but I’m curious — What are some of your favorites?

Here’s a Broccoli – Cheese – Quinoa Casserole Tart I made for my column on The Weiser Kitchen on-line magazine using Chobani. It was so good, and full of protein from yogurt, cheese, and quinoa. It’s a grownup healthier version of the familiar gooey childhood favorite topped with Ritz crackers. In this version, mayonnaise is swapped out for yogurt and mixed with curry and cayenne for a warming touch. Heavy cream is replaced by a mere ¼ cup of half and half, and the crackers are nixed. Cooked quinoa is added for additional protein. Go check it out!

For the Vegetarian – Omnivore Table

Add 1 cup of chopped roasted chicken to make this a hearty entree for the meat – eaters at the table. I buy a pre-roasted chicken at the local store, making this a very easy addition for my husband, Carnivorous Maximus.

Note: I was not in any way compensated for this post other than the free product mentioned in the article. I was not asked to write this post, and all opinions contained here are my own.

Tags: , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Broccoli – Cheddar – Quinoa Tart” Subscribe

1. apuginthekitchen January 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Really nice tart, delicious. I like Fage Greek yogurt. Chobani is good but I like the consistency of Fage better.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Biscuits, Finger Update And A Different LookMy Profile

2. Rita January 29, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Yumm Susan! I will definitely try your tart, thought I’ll use Angostura bitters instead of Worcestershire :o)

3. Erika January 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

I agree with ^ I love the consistency of Fage. But Chobani is definitely a solid love of mine. Other than that, I haven’t really found any Greek yogurts that really stand out in a good way.

Your broccoli casserole looks so tasty!!
    Erika recently posted..1-2-3 SaladMy Profile

4. The Wimpy Vegetarian January 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

Thanks so much Erika!! I tried Brown Cow’s last week but I think Chobani still has the edge for me.
    The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Broccoli – Cheddar – Quinoa Casserole Tart My Profile

5. cheri January 29, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

Does the quinoa change the texture a bit, maybe a little more chewy? Love this combination.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 29, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Exactly. It gives the texture a little heft to balance out the creaminess of the cheese and yogurt. It really made a difference for me. Brown rice works too, but it give quite a bit more heft, but not nearly as a nice a protein boost. Thanks so much!

6. Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes January 30, 2014 at 10:18 pm #

This looks so good!! I might add chicken!
    Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes recently posted..Creamy Bacon & Cheese DipMy Profile

7. Rebecca February 4, 2014 at 8:44 am #

One of my teacher friends and I have been trying new recipes and then bringing them to share for lunch. I forwarded this recipe to her (She’s vegetarian; I just don’t particularly like meat.) and said MAKE THIS NEXT WEEK! We had it for lunch yesterday, and it was scrumptious!

She added some leeks. Oh, my. :) And the curry really makes the dish POP.

This one is going on my home “rotation” immediately. :)

8. The Wimpy Vegetarian February 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

I’m so happy!!! This is the kind of comment that just makes my day. I made it last night for dinner and made it as a casserole in a casserole baking dish instead of in a tart shell. I ended up adding an extra cup of broccoli because it looked like it could handle it. Adding some leeks is a great idea too!! It’s such a malleable dish :-)
    The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Roasted Tomato Hummus : #SundaySupper Super Eats For Game DayMy Profile

9. Oui, Chef February 5, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Love the idea of adding the quinoa here, never would have thought of it, but it makes so much sense.
    Oui, Chef recently posted..English ToffeeMy Profile

10. cj February 5, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

Nice ~ Would love to see this submitted at FoodFotoGallery.com so I can share with all my foodie friends :-)
    cj recently posted..What’s Your Food Story?My Profile