OMG. Really you guys. This recipe is killer and destined to be in regular rotation here at our house. Pure gold.
First of all, for the uninitiated, The Secret Recipe Club is a group of around 130 food bloggers, separated into four smaller blogging groups, each of which post at different times of the month. Every month, we’re each assigned a blog in our group to look through. We try a few recipes and chose one to post about. But all month, we keep our assignment a secret until ‘reveal day’. It’s been a lot of fun – and I’ve found some great new blogs to follow and new recipes to add to my rotation.
This wonderful recipe comes from Cathleen at A Taste of Madness blog. She's a self-described full-time math teacher, part time blogger,and lifelong dessert lover. She has a lot of wonderful sounding baked items on her blog that I really want to try, like her Apple Skillet Popover with Maple Yogurt Cream, Pumpkin Gingerbread, and Apple Cheddar Cheese Biscuits, but I was also drawn to her Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas and Kale, Quinoa, and Cranberry Salad. But when I saw this Broccoli, Cheese and Quinoa Casserole, I was sold.
I gotta mention that the photo of Cathleen on her ‘About' page is absolutely captivating. She's wearing a pink skydiving suit, and her smile invites you to join her in the fun. So do her recipes. I hope you enjoy her blog as much as I did!
I made a few changes – mostly for things I had hanging around my kitchen. I didn't have any cheddar on hand, but figured the fontina I DID have would work as well since it's a nice melty cheese too. I add turmeric to everything because I've read so many things about how it contributes to a healthy diet, so it was added to the mix. And I added a few things to the Panko topping because it's how I do all my Panko toppings. But the heart and soul of this wonderful dish is still there.
If you want your casserole more on the soupy side, add more milk and cheese (or less broccoli). This recipe has a touch of cheese, but if you want more – you know what to do.
You can add roast chicken to the casserole for the meat eaters at the table, or serve it on the side. If you add it to the casserole, increase the milk and cheese by 25 percent.
Broccoli, Cheese and Quinoa Casserole
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion fine diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/2 tsp turmeric optional
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 1 Tbsp country style Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated fontina cheese or other melty cheese
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Prep the quinoa according to the instructions provided in the above link.
- In an ovenproof cooking pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and onions, and sauté until the onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and turmeric, and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the quinoa. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, mustard, and remaining salt. Fold in the cheese, and carefully stir into the broccoli and quinoa mixture.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic, Panko bread crumbs, parsley, lemon zest, and a pinch of kosher salt. Sauté until the bread crumbs turn a golden brown, and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.