These vegan Sloppy Joe Sliders use plant-based Beyond Beef cooked in a sweet and tangy sauce topped with a vegan coleslaw. Tuck these into a bun for a perfect back to school dinner or for a game day crowd!
The sauce takes about 45 minutes to make, so cook it ahead if you're too rushed during the week.
Updated August 22, 2022Jump to Recipe
Jump to Recipe
We all have childhood favorite meals. All we need is a mention of the dish in conversation with a friend, or a wisp of its aroma. Suddenly we're whisked back to Nana's kitchen table, our legs swinging under the table, love and security wrapped around us like a soft blanket.
Sloppy Joes are one of those for me. I didn't have them at home, to be honest. Unbelievable as it sounds, it was in the school cafeteria. Sloppy Joe day was my favorite day, and I would have gone back for seconds if I could have.
So I finally made a healthier version by making it vegan.
Vegan Sloppy Joe Sliders with Beyond Beef
I've tried quite a few plant-based 'meats' over the past couple of years, and have found a few that I really like.
I use MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles for tacos, chili, and tossed with my morning scrambled eggs.
For burgers and a ground beef substitution in sauces and these Vegan Sloppy Joe Sliders, I use Beyond Meat. It browns up similar to ground beef, and actually smells a lot like it too. It even crumbles up very similarly. I seriously don't know how they did that.
For the rest of the recipe, I went in a very classic, un-fancy Sloppy Joe direction. I know there are a lot of ingredients, but none of them are unusual, and you likely have them all on-hand right now without having to run to the market.
Okay, except maybe the Hawaiian Dinner Rolls. I love those rolls and they're perfect for little sliders, so they might be worth a trip to your nearest grocery. They're a little sweet and super soft, and go perfectly with the sweet - tangy filling.
Ways to Simplify This Recipe
There are only 4 real steps to this recipe. 1) Cook the ground Beyond Beef. 2) Cook the pepper and onion until softened. 3) Add everything else. 4) Simmer for 20 minutes.
Since the steps are minimal, prep the pepper and onion while the ground Beyond Beef cooks. This way it's ready to go when the 'beef' is done.
Since you add a lot of the ingredients in quick succession, also measure out all the remaining ingredients while the 'meat' cooks. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to open a new bottle of ketchup when you've got an impatiently bubbling pan waiting.
While the Sloppy Joe filling simmers, make the Vegan Coleslaw.
More Ways to Use Beyond Beef
Vegan Sloppy Joe Sliders
Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Beyond Beef, ground
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Annie's Worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 12 rolls
Sloppy Joe Sauce
- Warm the olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the Beyond Beef to the skillet. Break the beef up into small pieces and cook for 10 minutes without moving the pieces around. This will brown the 'beef'. Turn the pieces over using tongs, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the 'beef' from the skillet and set aside. Add the bell pepper and onion to the skillet. If the skillet is completely dry, add a little olive oil. Sauté until slightly softened, about 5 - 7 minutes. Add the garlic, and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until it's completely mixed into the veggies.
- Add the ketchup, ½ cup water, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until well-combined and add the 'beef' back in.
- Cook on a low simmer for 20 minutes. Add additional water if the Sloppy Joe sauce is too thick. Finish with a dash of hot sauce, if desired.
- Spoon over warmed rolls and top with Vegan Coleslaw.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, celery salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spill the coleslaw mix into a medium bowl, and add enough mayonnaise mixture to your own taste. Toss well.