Refreshing wine cooler with fresh watermelon juice, Gallo Family Vineyards new Riesling wine, mint syrup, and lime

watermelon wine cooler

I think this every year, maybe we ALL do, but it’s hard to believe Labor Day Weekend is upon us already. Wasn’t 4th of July just a couple of weeks ago?

Labor Day Weekend is the last big BBQ and picnic weekend of the year before we’re pulled headlong into the gauntlet of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and, unbelievably, the New Year. ‘I’m not ready!’, I’m screaming inside. But the truth is, when each holiday arrives on my doorstep, I open the door to welcome them with abandon. They’re all perfect times to share with friends and family, and with Gallo Family Vineyard’s wine.

Gallo crest 400

I should mention, GFV isn’t only a resource for great wine, but also for spot-on food pairing tips. So if you’re looking for some new Labor Day recipes to try this year, head on over to Gallo Family Vineyard’s site for some great ideas.

I think it’s always fun to try something new when I’ve got a party coming up. Nothing like test-driving something new with my favorite peeps.

And on that note, I started experimenting with GFV’s brand new Riesling wine, with its hints of honey and peaches. From the moment I tried it at #SundaySupper’s Food and Wine Conference in Orlando last month, I loved it. It was a hot, sultry evening that night, and it totally hit the spot. In fact, it was SO perfect, I wanted to create a drink with it to celebrate summer BBQs – because as anyone who’s been to San Francisco in summer knows, OUR summer is September and October when the fog rolls back out to sea. When I saw the tall pile of rotund, striped watermelons at the market, a Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime was born.

watermelon wine cooler

This is a refreshing drink of watermelon juice, mint syrup, lime juice, and GFV’s Riesling, topped with a little club soda. The watermelon juice can be made up to a couple of days ahead, and mint syrup up to a week ahead and refrigerated. It’s perfect with most any spicy BBQ food coming off the grill, or just for sipping with appetizers.

Speaking of which, another GFV’s wine perfect with spicy BBQ food is their Sweet Red wine, although I admit I used that one for sipping with some friends one recent very warm afternoon with some cheeses.

So here’s your plan for Labor Day:

• Click on the above GFV link to check out some new recipes to wow your family and friends.
• Confirm where you can pick up some Gallo wine by clicking here for the GFV locator.
• And don’t forget to get their $1 off digital coupon!

And while you’re at it, go follow their social media pages so you can keep up with new wines and promotion deals they offer on a regular basis.

Follow Gallo Family Vineyards on Facebook
Follow Gallo Family Vineyards on Twitter
Follow Gallo Family Vineyards on Instagram
Follow Gallo Family Vineyards on YouTube

Oh, and then make this Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime.

Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime: #SundaySupper

Yield: 1 glass

If you've got the watermelon juice made and kept in a jar in the refrigerator, along with the mint syrup, this refreshing drink comes together in about 3 minutes.

Ingredients...

Wine Cooler
  • 1/3 c watermelon juice
  • 1/2 c Gallo Family Vineyard Riesling
  • 1/2 T lime juice
  • 1/2 T Mint Syrup (recipe below)
  • pinch salt
  • splash of club soda
  • Mint Syrup
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup mint leaves

Directions...

Wine Cooler
  1. Make the watermelon juice by cutting a seedless watermelon in half. Remove the rind and discard. Chop the watermelon into 1-inch cubes, place in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and whirl like crazy until the watermelon is completely liquified. Strain the liquid through a cheesecloth or paper towel to remove the pulp.
  2. Stir all of the ingredients together and pour into a glass filled with ice.
  3. Mint Syrup
  4. Stir the sugar and water together in a small pan over medium heat until the sugar completely dissolves. Add the mint leaves and bring to a simmer for five minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Keep refrigerated until needed. It will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

This week 20 of the #SundaySupper family got together to create recipes with Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet Red wine and their new Riesling. Go check out what everyone made!
Labor Day Beverages:

Labor Day Savory Bites:

Labor Day Desserts:

Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Pin It

Tags: ,

36 Responses to “Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Liz August 22, 2014 at 3:39 am #

Oh, man, THIS is the way to beat the heat! So beautiful and refreshing, Susan!!!
    Liz recently posted..Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Renee August 22, 2014 at 3:45 am #

Watermelon is such a great summer flavor and having it part of a wine cocktail is the perfect way to celebrate Labor Day.

3. Katie August 22, 2014 at 4:02 am #

I cannot get over how REFRESHING this drink looks! The color is simply stunning as well. Where’s my glass…fill it up!
    Katie recently posted..Deconstructed Egg Rolls for #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Shaina August 22, 2014 at 5:01 am #

Watermelon, mint and lime…what a refreshing combination! And it just gets better when you add in the riesling. Love this drink!
    Shaina recently posted..Chili-Garlic TofuMy Profile

5. Run DMT August 22, 2014 at 5:50 am #

This looks incredibly refreshing! Totally pinning this!
    Run DMT recently posted..Mango Riesling Coulis #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Emily {Jelly Toast} August 22, 2014 at 6:05 am #

This looks absolutely lovely, Susan!! Beautiful photo!
    Emily {Jelly Toast} recently posted..ginger plum sangria #SundaySupperMy Profile

7. Nichole August 22, 2014 at 9:26 am #

I bet a homemade wine cooler is MUCH better than anything I ever purchased in my early twenties claiming to be the same thing :) I loved Gallo’s Reisling as well; my new favorite these days!

8. Betsy @ Desserts Required August 22, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

This is a fabulous combination!! I love watermelon with lime and mint…add a fab Gallo wine to the mix and I will be a very happy camper!
    Betsy @ Desserts Required recently posted..Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. cheri August 22, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

What a refreshing drink Susan. I can’t believe how fast this summer has been going, we leave for phoenix the end of next month.
    cheri recently posted..Peach CrispMy Profile

10. Alida August 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

The watermelon and riesling combination is absolutely genius! Add your tasty mint syrup, and you have perfection. Love this!!

11. Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen August 23, 2014 at 9:46 am #

Oh I love watermelon in a cocktail, and I know it must have been fabulous with the Riesling!!
    Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen recently posted..These Are a Few of My Favorite Things 8/23/14My Profile

12. Kathia Rodriguez August 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

This is a great idea to used my watermelon, i can’t wait to try it.

13. Thalia @ butter and brioche August 23, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

wish the weather was hot enough here that i could justify making a watermelon cooler, they look delicious. shame it’s winter in Australia!
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted..Earl Grey Tea Loaf CakeMy Profile

14. Heather // girlichef August 24, 2014 at 7:45 am #

This looks so refreshing, Susan – definitely the perfect addition to a Labor Day (or any summer entertaining) menu!

15. Isabel Laessig August 24, 2014 at 9:36 am #

What a great idea for entertaining! This will be the hit of my next party.
    Isabel Laessig recently posted..Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta #SundaySupperMy Profile

16. Terra August 24, 2014 at 10:04 am #

What a refreshing cocktail. I would love love this gorgeous drink. Perfect to serve at a BBQ or Summer party. Yum, Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Blueberry Lemon Banana Bites #RecipeReduxMy Profile

17. christina August 24, 2014 at 11:03 am #

What a fabulous combination of flavors! And the color is so perfect for a summer drink. Reislings are one of my favorite wines, so I’m sure i’d love this!

18. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips August 24, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Did you seriously say the “H”, “T””, “C”, and “NY” words? Nooo! I’m going to just sip on one of these and live in blissful denial!

19. Hezzi-D August 24, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

I never thought to add watermelon to my wine but I love the gorgeous color!!

20. Kristen August 25, 2014 at 9:03 am #

Loving this recipe and the roundup of Gallo recipes! You all are so creative!

21. Nicole August 25, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Watermelon tastes so good this summer! I love it in this delicious beverage!
    Nicole recently posted..Nut Free Granola BarsMy Profile

22. Anne @ Webicurean August 25, 2014 at 9:20 am #

I needed a recipe for watermelon, and here it is! This sounds fantastic!
    Anne @ Webicurean recently posted..Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling #SundaySupperMy Profile

23. Mary August 25, 2014 at 11:05 am #

These drinks look so refreshing! I bet they’re delicious too.

24. Michelle @ The Complete Savorist August 25, 2014 at 7:13 pm #

That looks downright refreshing. I could use a glass (maybe a pitcher) right now.

25. Kim - Liv Life August 25, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Oohh!! watermelon and mint is a fabulous combo… but add in a little Gallo and we have a treat!
    Kim – Liv Life recently posted..No-Cook Summer Heirloom Tomato Sauce with Fresh HerbsMy Profile

26. The Food Hunter August 25, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Cheers!
    The Food Hunter recently posted..Grilling Recipe Round UpMy Profile

27. Marion@Life Tastes Good August 26, 2014 at 8:33 am #

Watermelon is one of my absolute favorite things ever! This sounds so refreshing!

28. Lori @ RecipeGirl August 26, 2014 at 11:28 am #

This is my kind of cocktail! So refreshing and delicious!

29. Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon August 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

I can’t believe it’s Labor Day already either, I want summer back. I’ll be sipping on some of these delicious cocktails this weekend!

30. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons August 27, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

You are single-handedly changing my misconceptions about what a “wine cooler” really is. I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever even HAD one of those awful bottled ones, but I bet they’re awful. And this is the complete opposite of that. I cannot wait to try this! Need to get my hands on another bottle of Gallo Riesling!

31. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust August 27, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

I love that wine – and this cooler sounds fabulous! Pinned!

32. Christie August 28, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

SUSAN! Your wine cooler looks FABULOUS! Thanks for linking up this week with #FoodieFridays! Stop by this week to see if you’re featured and link up new vittles for us to try! http://bit.ly/XWDxrg

33. Pure Grace Farms August 28, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Stopping by to let you know I featured your fabulous post on Foodie Fridays this week. Party starts at 9pm EST. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Shari

34. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

I’m ready for the fall but in the same time I wish summer was still around with its abundance of fresh fruit, especially watermelons!
    These refreshing drinks sound just perfect for the Labor day celebrations!

35. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen August 29, 2014 at 7:04 am #

I absolutely love those glasses! And what a refreshing cooler recipe :)
    Katrina @ In Katrina’s Kitchen recently posted..Mile High S’mores PieMy Profile

36. Emma September 11, 2014 at 4:01 am #

I just love this share! I haven’t got these kind of refreshing cooler recipe even before :)