#SundaySupper post! Refreshing wine cooler with fresh watermelon juice, Gallo Family Vineyards new Riesling wine, mint syrup, and lime.
I think this every year, maybe we ALL do, but it’s hard to believe Labor Day Weekend is upon us already. Wasn’t 4th of July just a couple of weeks ago?
Labor Day Weekend is the last big BBQ and picnic weekend of the year before we’re pulled headlong into the gauntlet of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and, unbelievably, the New Year. ‘I’m not ready!’, I’m screaming inside. But the truth is, when each holiday arrives on my doorstep, I open the door to welcome them with abandon. They’re all perfect times to share with friends and family, and with Gallo Family Vineyard’s wine.
I should mention, GFV isn’t only a resource for great wine, but also for spot-on food pairing tips. So if you’re looking for some new Labor Day recipes to try this year, head on over to Gallo Family Vineyard’s site for some great ideas.
I think it’s always fun to try something new when I’ve got a party coming up. Nothing like test-driving something new with my favorite peeps.
And on that note, I started experimenting with GFV’s brand new Riesling wine, with its hints of honey and peaches. From the moment I tried it at #SundaySupper’s Food and Wine Conference in Orlando last month, I loved it. It was a hot, sultry evening that night, and it totally hit the spot. In fact, it was SO perfect, I wanted to create a drink with it to celebrate summer BBQs – because as anyone who’s been to San Francisco in summer knows, OUR summer is September and October when the fog rolls back out to sea. When I saw the tall pile of rotund, striped watermelons at the market, a Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime was born.
This is a refreshing drink of watermelon juice, mint syrup, lime juice, and GFV’s Riesling, topped with a little club soda. The watermelon juice can be made up to a couple of days ahead, and mint syrup up to a week ahead and refrigerated. It’s perfect with most any spicy BBQ food coming off the grill, or just for sipping with appetizers.
Speaking of which, another GFV’s wine perfect with spicy BBQ food is their Sweet Red wine, although I admit I used that one for sipping with some friends one recent very warm afternoon with some cheeses.
So here’s your plan for Labor Day:
• Click on the above GFV link to check out some new recipes to wow your family and friends.
• Confirm where you can pick up some Gallo wine by clicking here for the GFV locator.
• And don’t forget to get their $1 off digital coupon!
And while you’re at it, go follow their social media pages so you can keep up with new wines and promotion deals they offer on a regular basis.
Oh, and then make this Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime.
- ⅓ cup watermelon juice
- ½ cup Gallo Family Vineyard Riesling
- ½ Tbsp lime juice
- ½ Tbsp Mint Syrup (recipe below)
- pinch salt
- splash of club soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- Make the watermelon juice by cutting a seedless watermelon in half. Remove the rind and discard. Chop the watermelon into 1-inch cubes, place in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and whirl like crazy until the watermelon is completely liquified. Strain the liquid through a cheesecloth or paper towel to remove the pulp.
- Stir all of the ingredients together and pour into a glass filled with ice.
- Stir the sugar and water together in a small pan over medium heat until the sugar completely dissolves. Add the mint leaves and bring to a simmer for five minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Keep refrigerated until needed. It will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
This week 20 of the #SundaySupper family got together to create recipes with Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet Red wine and their new Riesling. Go check out what everyone made!
Labor Day Beverages:
- German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) by Magnolia Days
- Ginger Plum Sangria by Jelly Toast
- Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle by Basic N Delicious
- Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Labor Day Savory Bites:
- Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling by Webicurean
- Buffalo Ranch Pasta Salad by Foxes Love Lemons
- Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls by Ruffles & Truffles
- Peach Mango Grilled Chicken over Quinoa by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta by Family Foodie
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Labor Day Desserts:
- Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mango Riesling Coulis by Run DMT
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake by Desserts Required
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Peach Granita Sundaes by Melanie Makes
- Peach Riesling Buckle by girlichef
- Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler by In The Kitchen With KP
- Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Wine Ice Cream by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.