1st place contest winner: Crispy tortillas covered with refried beans, spicy salsa, and roasted peppers, all topped with a warm yolky egg.
This week, the Sunday Supper Family is delighted to welcome Davidson’s Safest Choice™ around the family table! As a mostly (wimpy) vegetarian, eggs are a key source of protein for me. For years eggs have been vilified, but more recent studies, and there are quite a few of them now, indicate we may have over-reacted. In fact, many researchers now state that you’re missing out on a powerhouse nutrient source if you shun eggs, and particularly egg yolks.
The problem of course was cholesterol and its effect on heart disease. But cholesterol is actually an important component of our cell membranes and influences hormone biology, among other functions. The human body manufactures its own cholesterol and tends to produce less when it’s ingested. As an important note, other health factors, like diabetes, can affect this, so it’s not a given for everyone. But for most people, eggs are a healthy choice and should not result in elevated blood cholesterol levels. Saturated fat, on the other hand, still appears to be a contributor to heart disease risk across the board. And egg yolks are low in saturated fat.
Let’s look at the benefits of eating eggs:
- Egg yolks are an outstanding low-calorie source of protein that, because of its amino acid mix, is highly bioavailable to support bone health and muscle mass.
- The yolks are packed with vitamins and nutrients like choline for brain development and function, Vitamin D for bones, and other nutrients to support the nervous system and reduce eye diseases like Macular Degeneration and Cataracts.
What’s interesting is that studies indicate that some of this powerhouse nutritional value is lost once you cook the yolk. Essentially once the yolk is broken and exposed to high heat, such as in scrambling eggs, the proteins and fat are damaged. So if you eat a lot of eggs like I do, it’s best to balance scrambled eggs with poached and sunny side up versions where the yolk is exposed to less heat. And to mitigate fears of Salmonella in less cooked or uncooked yolks, Davidson’s are the gold standard for pasteurized eggs.
In fact, most eggs sold in cartons are not pasteurized, and the massive industry recall of 500 million eggs in August 2010 as a result of more than 1900 illnesses from Salmonella, added to consumer fears related to egg safety. So Davidson’s goes the extra mile by pasteurizing their eggs through an all-natural, gentle warm bath process to eliminate the risk of Salmonella without changing the nutrition or flavor package.
Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs are the perfect choice for sunny side up, poached, soft scrambled, omelets, Tiramisu, Caesar salad dressing, Hollandaise sauce, mousse, homemade mayonnaise, homemade ice cream…and licking the spoon when you bake. And their eggs are available cage free raised on Certified Humane farms.
For more information, a store locator guide, and for ongoing product updates and recipes, go to Davidson’s Eggs website and follow them on social media sites. Here are the links:
Store Locator: http://www.safeeggs.com/store-locator
And for you creative cooks out there, Davidson’s is sponsoring a Safest Choice No-Bake Summer Recipe Contest. The lucky winner will receive a Food and Wine Conference Pass, a $500 Gift Card, and a year of FREE EGGS!!!! Go here for more information:
As for me, I love Huevos Rancheros for a healthy, satisfying dinner. So without further introduction, here’s my favorite recipe.
Now go check out some other Sunday Supper bloggers meals with Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs.
No-Bake Savory Recipes:
- Asparagus Egg Salad by Family Foodie
- Buffalo Aioli by Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Caesar Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Deviled Egg Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Grilled Pizza with Egg, Arugula, and Balsamic by Ruffles & Truffles
- Huevos Rancheros by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Korean Rolled Omelette (Gaeran Mari) by kimchi MOM
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Casa de Crews
- Pizza for Breakfast! Waffles by Foxes Love Lemons
- Shrimp Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
No-Bake Sweet Recipes:
- Brownie Batter Truffles by Desserts Required
- Creamy Chocolate Blender Mousse by Shockingly Delicious
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie by Neighborfood
- “Funky Monkey” PB Ripple Chip Banana Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon and Strawberry Parfaits by Magnolia Days
- No Bake Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Raspberry Lemon Meringue Waffles by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Pudding Cups by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Marshmallow S’mores by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. All opinions are my own.Pin It