Thick tomato sauce that combines heirlooms and balsamic roasted tomatoes for a meaty flavor.

how to make homemade roasted tomato sauce

One of things I think about when all the heirlooms show up at the market is making homemade tomato sauce. I don’t eat beef much more than once or twice a year, but I grew up loving a tomato chunky, meaty sauce for pasta. I’ve had to experiment a bit to get a tomato sauce that can match it.

I won’t kid you that this is exactly the same as a meaty tomato sauce, but it’s a kick-butt serious tomato sauce all the same. I use fresh juicy heirlooms and my Roasted Balsamic Tomatoes. The roasted tomatoes with the balsamic gives off the thick texture I like, and a deep savory flavor that approaches meat. I just coarsely chop them so that they end up being the chunks in the sauce.

Roasted balsamic tomatoes

I keep the sauce pretty simple so that I can do different things with it, but feel free to add some garlic, onions, or some herbs to your liking. I’m going to experiment canning some this year so that I can have this sauce all winter long, so I’ll let you know how that goes. Canning tomatoes can be a little tricky as there needs to be enough acid for it to be safe. Most canning recipes for tomatoes add some lemon juice. I have balsamic vinegar in mine, so I’m thinking it will be fine, but until I try it myself, I can’t recommend it.

how to make homemade roasted tomato sauce

But I can recommend eating this sauce today. Totally. Most recently, I used it on the BBQ Chicken Pizza I posted earlier in the week.

Homemade Roasted Tomato Sauce

Makes 1 cup

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Peel the heirlooms with a sharp knife. It doesn’t have to be perfect – this is intended to be a rustic tomato sauce. Core the tomatoes and chop them into 2 inch chunks. Place in a small pot over medium heat.

Add the Balsamic Roasted Tomato halves. (I keep this staple in my refrigerator all the time. It’s amazing the number of uses I find for them.)

Add the olive oil, and a pinch each of salt and pepper and stir.

Simmer until the sauce reaches the thickness you prefer. I typically simmer mine for about 30 minutes, but this at least partly depends on how juicy the heirlooms are that I’m using. Correct for seasoning.

I’ve refrigerated mine for up to two weeks without any problem.

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Meaty Roasted Tomato Sauce” Subscribe

1. apuginthekitchen August 17, 2013 at 5:37 am #

This is just lovely, I love tomato season and the heirlooms are my favorite, so sweet naturally and I love the many varieties. I also love to make a balsamic tomato roast or reduction and keep it in my fridge it’s delicious. Your sauce looks meaty without the meat, thick and rich. Love it!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..When Cooks Get Together-An End Of Summer Potluck Part IIMy Profile

2. lizthechef August 17, 2013 at 7:54 am #

The perfect summer tomato sauce, Susan – I use a lot of Meyer lemon juice in mine.
    lizthechef recently posted..Coffee JellyMy Profile

3. TasteFood August 17, 2013 at 8:21 am #

I love roasted tomatoes and use them in everything I can think of. That photo is gorgeous.
    TasteFood recently posted..Grilled Pizza with Mozzarella, Salame and ArugulaMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 17, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Thanks so much Lynda! Me too – roasted tomatoes is such a versatile ingredient. And I’ve found it to be a great substitute for meat in some dishes :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Homemade Roasted Tomato SauceMy Profile

4. Deb August 17, 2013 at 9:43 am #

What a robust vegetarian recipe! Seasonal and scrumptious, a perfect dinner idea!

5. apuginthekitchen August 17, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Yes canning is a great idea, it will bring a taste of delicious summer produce as winter approaches.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 17, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Exactly! I just need to figure out the acidity levels, and do some testing. I think I’ll add lemon juice to one of the jars and label it so I can see which ones turn out the best.
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Homemade Roasted Tomato SauceMy Profile

6. Choc Chip Uru August 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

What s hit of flavour this sauce would give my friend it takes tomato sauce to a whole new level :)

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Guest Post #8: Ensaymada BunsMy Profile

7. Terra August 17, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Simple is totally okay with me!!! I love a flavorful homemade tomato sauce:-) Your recipe sounds delicious, Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Mom’s Bacon and Hash Brown Egg Bake (+ last round of Michigan pictures)My Profile

8. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl August 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Roasted tomato sauce is one of my most favorite ways to use garden tomatoes, yum! I can’t get enough of it. beautiful pictures.
    Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted..National Can-It-Forward Day + Ball Canning GiveawayMy Profile

9. mjskit August 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

WOW! Does this look good or what?!?! What a beautiful sauce!
    mjskit recently posted..Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and BasilMy Profile

10. Amy Tong August 23, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Oh my…Your Roasted Tomato Sauce looks incredible and I bet the flavor is wonderful too. I can’t wait to try this with my homegrown tomatoes. :) Thank you so much for sharing. Have a happy Friday and a great weekend ahead.
    Amy Tong recently posted..Nutella Swirl Ice Cream With Dark Chocolate Covered HazelnutsMy Profile

11. Cynthia August 24, 2013 at 5:58 am #

I grew up loving a chunky tomato sauce, too, Susan. And a pizza sounds like just the thing for a Saturday night supper!
    Cynthia recently posted..DAVID LEBOVITZ’S ROASTED FIGSMy Profile