Great vegetarian dinner of spaghetti with chickpeas and spicy tomato sauce with roasted tomatoes.
This is one of my favorite “go-to” dishes for rushed evenings since I nearly always have a stash of cooked chickpeas on hand and this Roasted Tomato Sauce is part of my regular pantry. All I need do is cook some pasta noodles, pull the sauce and chickpeas from the fridge to toss together in a saucepan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Presto magic, I've got a great vegetarian dinner on the table in well under 30 minutes.
As a note, I've used this sauce on pizza, in quesadillas with some cheese, and heaped over roasted eggplant slices. And it's perfect to make when tomatoes are out of season. It's got a great thick texture and a deep tomatoey flavor accented with the kalamata olives. I like my sauce a little spicy but you can omit the red pepper flakes and cut back a bit on the garlic if you want. I feel the most important thing to stay true to is the canned tomatoes you use. Go for the San Marzano tomatoes. They're worth the extra money. And I always buy whole peeled tomatoes and crush the tomatoes in my hands so I can feel like an Italian nonna, and so I can have tomato chunks in the sauce.
Spaghetti with Chickpeas and Spicy Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 28- oz can whole peeled tomatoes San Marzano, crushed by your hands
- 8 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt pepper and sugar
- 1/2 box spaghetti noodles
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F and combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the chickpeas, noodles, and Parmesan cheese in a 9" X 13" baking dish. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring it once half-way through the roasting. The garlic should be soft, and have a roasted flavor, and the sauce will be thick and jammy. Smash with a fork to break up the garlic a bit.
- Warm up the chickpeas and cook the pasta according to directions on the box.
- Dust with Parmesan cheese before serving.