Comforting soup packed with vegetables, rice, and (optional) chicken.

Comforting, cooking for a crowd, kid-friendly, hardy soup packed with vegetables, rice and chicken for satisfying lunch.

When I get knocked around a little by life, I head to the kitchen to make soup or to bake. I’m convinced that soup, cookies, and cake are the original comfort foods, not just as hugs from my own childhood, but from all the generations of women in my family that cooked in kitchens before me.

I made this soup last week for a friend who was ill, and wrote it up as an article for Ask Miss A web magazine. Yes, yes, yes, I know, it’s written as a chicken rice soup, but I’m still cooking in my home for both vegetarians and carnivores, and really it’s so easy to make it vegetarian. For generations, soup has been an efficient peasant food; a way to cook up scraps of vegetables, meat or fish in a broth, and frequently stretched with legumes, pasta, bread, rice or whole grains. Ribollita from Italy comes to mind, as does a Hungarian goulash made with meat, potatoes and noodles.

If you’re needing a little comfort in your life, or know someone who does, go here for the recipe.

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Vegetable / Chicken and Rice Peasant Soup” Subscribe

1. Choc Chip Uru March 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

This soup looks so warming :)
    Yum!

2. Rosemary March 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Gorgeous photo, Susan! Love the blend of background textures and I can almost put my spoon into the soup!
    Rosemary recently posted..Comment on Easiest Ever No-Knead Artisan Bread by Rosie’s KitchenMy Profile

3. Rebecca March 21, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Heading out to get the rest of the ingredients now. *I* am in the mood for a little comfort food myself!

4. Rebecca March 21, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Wow — this is ridiculously good! I used (homemade) chicken broth, omitted the step with the bones, and used whole-wheat orzo because I had it on hand. Amazing! I was a tad concerned about the avocado and lime, but they add a light “zing.” This is going on my soup rotation. Thanks. :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

I’m sooooo excited that you made this soup so quickly, Rebecca!!! You really made my day. And I’m so glad you liked it. Yay!!! Yeah, the avocado adds a little *creaminess* without the cream, and the lime just sharpens those flavors. Best of all, it’s a forgiving soup, and welcomes little twists and shortcuts, as you found out. This was actually a riff on a quinoa soup I made a couple of years ago – which I still haven’t gotten around to adding to my blog :-) Someday I need to do that :-) Thanks again!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Vegetable / Chicken and Rice Peasant Soup My Profile

5. Julia March 22, 2013 at 8:29 am #

This soup looks so yummy and since spring still hasn’t arrive (and may never) I have time to make this!
    Julia recently posted..Turkey, Carrot and Zucchini Meatballs {Kid-Friendly}My Profile

6. apuginthekitchen March 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

I could use a bowl of this soup right now, looks delicious Susan, You are so right, soup, cookies and cake are the ultimate comfort foods!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Act Of Kindness And A Stuffed Apple A Day…My Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 22, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks Suzanne! I was just over at your blog – I had no idea how poorly you’ve been feeling. And I’m so glad Nando is doing better. Hope you both are feeling back to normal soon. If we were neighbors, I would have brought some of this soup over to with your friend’s stuffed apple :-)

7. TasteFood March 23, 2013 at 9:50 am #

I could do with a bowl of this right now – so warm and comforting.
    TasteFood recently posted..Chocolate Dipped Coconut MacaroonsMy Profile

8. Cass @foodmyfriend March 26, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Tyler always requests this in Winter. i guess it is nearly that time again!

9. http://www.theimnetwork.com October 18, 2013 at 1:25 am #

Hey! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone!

Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Keep up the superb work!
    http://www.theimnetwork.com recently posted..http://www.theimnetwork.comMy Profile

10. Spoonful of Comfort May 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm #

Preparing my ingredients for this soup now. I am sure my hubby will love it. He loves soups and is always excited to try something new.