This entrée-worthy roasted potato salad without mayo is mixed with lentils, red onion, and optional grilled salmon. It's all tossed in a yogurt-soft cheese-dill dressing (no mayonnaise!). Perfect for any pot luck BBQ this summer!
Make this salad ahead, and top with half of the dressing, reserving the remaining dressing for just before serving.Jump to Recipe
Want to make this no mayo potato salad recipe perfectly the first time? I want to help with that. So, check out this Table of Contents to see which sections of this post will help you the most.
Summer means BBQs, backyard parties and potato salad. And this Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils might be the best one I've ever made.
Lentils and potatoes are so perfect together. Another recipe that combines them that's a reader favorite is this Potato Asparagus Salad Lentils in a Lemon Vinaigrette.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy with very little meal prep work required.
- Make it ahead with half of the dressing, and add the remaining dressing just before serving.
- Perfect for summer BBQs and potluck dinners on the calendar.
- Great main dish for vegetarians and popular side dish for omnivores. The salmon addition for the omnivores is perfect!
- Perfect dish for those who follow a gluten free diet.
🧅 Main Ingredients + Notes
The secret to faster and easier meals often lies in the ingredients. For example, store-bought items and ingredients you make ahead and store in the refrigerator (or freezer) can turn a 60-minute recipe into a 30-minutes meal or less.
For the all of the ingredients, measurements and directions for this roast potato salad, go to the Recipe Card at the bottom of this post.
Potato Lentil Salad
- Baby potatoes - baby Yukon golds are the best, as they hold together better than russet potatoes. Red potatoes work great in this recipe as well. If you use russet potatoes, be careful to toss them in the dressing very gently.
- Brown lentils - green lentils are fine too. Here's a great post on explaining the differences between lentils, how best to cook them, and use them.
- Red onion - I don't recommend substituting yellow or white onion for the red onion in the this recipe.
- Fresh chives
- Boursin soft cheese - I like the garlic and herbed cheese flavor. Soft goat cheese with herbs and garlic works well too.
- Yogurt - full fat yogurt is best for this dressing.
- Rice vinegar - if you don't have any on hand, any white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work fine.
- Fresh dill
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products and foods I use in my kitchen. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. To view my entire storefront of recommended kitchen tools and equipment, check out my shop on Amazon.
📝 Instructions Overview
Detailed instructions for making this potato salad recipe are in the recipe card below, but here's an overview!
Roast the potatoes. Toss the potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. If you have one, roast the potatoes in an air fryer. Otherwise, use a conventional or toaster oven to roast them.
Cook the lentils. Use these directions for cooking your best lentils.
Mix together. Mix the cooked lentils with the roasted potatoes, red onion and chives.
Make the dressing. Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing, and drizzle half of it over the potatoes. Lightly toss, and add more dressing as desired.
Serve. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
👩🍳 Preparation Tip
If you make this roasted potato salad ahead of time, only dress it with half of the dressing. It will soak into the potatoes and lentils, enhancing the flavors. Just before serving, toss with the remaining dressing.
You can make this a day ahead, dressed with half of the dressing, and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Just before serving, toss with the remaining dressing.
💡Ideas for Possible Variations
- Replace the lentils with green beans.
- Add thinly sliced green onions along with the fresh dill.
Roasted Potato Lentil Salad Without Mayo
Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils
Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils
- Roast the potatoes. Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F. Toss the potatoes in oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in the basket of the air fryer, and roast for 10 minutes. Go to this post on air fryer potatoes if you want more information.If using a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 425˚F. Toss the potatoes in oil, salt and pepper. Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender. The blade of a knife should be able to easily puncture the potatoes.
- Cook the lentils. If using brown lentils, bring 1 ½ cups of water to simmer. Add ½ cup of dried lentils to the water with a healthy pinch of kosher salt. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Go to this post for detailed instructions on cooking lentil beans if you would like more information, or are using green or black lentils. Each lentil bean is explained, has detailed cooking instructions, and ways to use each.
- Combine the roasted potatoes, ¾ cup of cooked lentils (or more, if you prefer), the minced chives, and chopped red onion together in a large bowl.Toss with the dressing (below).
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. This makes more dressing than you will need, so reserve the rest to re-dress leftovers the next day.