This entrée-worthy roasted potato salad is mixed with lentils, red onion, and optional grilled salmon. It's all tossed in a yogurt-soft cheese-dill dressing (no mayonnaise!). Perfect for any pot luck BBQ this summer!
Make this salad ahead, and top with half of the dressing, reserving the rest for just before serving.
Updated July 15, 2022
Summer means BBQs, backyard parties and potato salad. And this Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils might be the best one I've ever made.
Lentils and potatoes are so perfect together. Another recipe that combines them that's a reader favorite is this Asparagus Salad with Potatoes and Lentils in a Lemon Vinaigrette.
It's easy, can be made ahead, and is a full meal for vegetarians without the salmon. But the salmon addition is perfect for the omnivores at the table.
Ingredients for Roasted Potato Salad
- Baby potatoes
- Brown lentils - green or black lentils are fine too.
- Red onion
Ingredients for the Dressing
- Boursin soft cheese - I like the garlic and herbed cheese flavor
- Yogurt - full fat yogurt is best for this dressing.
- Rice vinegar
- Fresh dill
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products and foods I use in my kitchen. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. To view my entire storefront of recommended kitchen tools and equipment, check out my shop on Amazon.
Step 1 (10 minutes)
Roast the potatoes. Toss the potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. If you have one, roast the potatoes in an air fryer. Otherwise, use a conventional or toaster oven to roast them.
Step 2 (30 minutes)
Cook the lentils. Use these directions for cooking your best lentils.
Step 3 (1 minute)
Mix together. Mix the cooked lentils with the roasted potatoes, red onion and chives.
Step 4 (5 minutes)
Make the dressing. Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing, and drizzle half of it over the potatoes. Lightly toss, and add more dressing as desired.
Serve. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
For the Meat Eaters at the Table
Grill or sauté a salmon fillet. Gently break it into bite-sized pieces and toss with the portion of the salad for the omnivores at the table.
Want more vegetarian and vegan dish ideas? I can help you. I have three newsletters for different topics: 1) Vegetarian Recipes, 2) Vegetarian Meal Plans, and 3) Vegetarian Tips for helping you to move to a more vegetarian diet. Choose which newsletters are most relevant to your lifestyle and you'll also get my 5 SECRETS TO FUSS-FREE VEGETARIAN DINNERS.
No-Mayo Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils Recipe
Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils
Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils
- Roast the potatoes. Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F. Toss the potatoes in oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in the basket of the air fryer, and roast for 10 minutes. Go to this post on air fryer potatoes if you want more information.If using a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 425˚F. Toss the potatoes in oil, salt and pepper. Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender. The blade of a knife should be able to easily puncture the potatoes.
- Cook the lentils. If using brown lentils, bring 1 ½ cups of water to simmer. Add ½ cup of dried lentils to the water with a healthy pinch of kosher salt. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Go to this post for detailed instructions on cooking lentil beans if you would like more information, or are using green or black lentils. Each lentil bean is explained, has detailed cooking instructions, and ways to use each.
- Combine the roasted potatoes, ¾ cup of cooked lentils (or more, if you prefer), the minced chives, and chopped red onion together in a large bowl.Toss with the dressing (below).
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. This makes more dressing than you will need, so reserve the rest to re-dress leftovers the next day.