This deliciously healthy chickpea spread for toast is mixed with garlic, onions, lemon and mayonnaise and topped with slices of avocado for a new version of avocado toast. And it's all ready in 20 minutes or less.
This is officially my new favorite way to lunch. Or when I want a no-fuss, healthy dinner that takes close to zero time to make.
We all know avocado toasts are all the rage. I started making them for lunch 2 - 3 times a week last summer. I'd slice up a half an avocado. Toast up a slice of seeded bread, grab some good olive oil, and finish it off with a spray of Jane's Crazy Salt. Well now I'm stepping up my game with this version with chickpea salad.
🧅 Main Ingredients + Notes
For the all of the ingredients, measurements and directions, go to the Recipe Card at the bottom of this post.
- Chickpeas - either canned or cook your own from dried.
- Yellow Onion - scallions, spring onions, white onion or red onion all work in this recipe.
- Fresh Dill
- Lemon juice
- Bread slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Seasoned salt - I use Crazy Jane's Seasoned Salt, but feel free to use you own favorite.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products and foods I use in my kitchen. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. To view my entire storefront of recommended kitchen tools and equipment, check out my shop on Amazon.
🔪 Recommended Equipment
- Chef's knife
🥬 Make it Vegan
Use a vegan mayonnaise. There are several available in most markets.
📇 More Easy Lunches or Light Dinners
Chickpea Salad Avocado Toast
- 1 can chickpeas (or cook your own)
- ½ cup finely diced celery about 1 stalk
- ¼ cup finely diced onion or white onion or spring onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 pieces of whole wheat seeded bread or any bread
- 2 large avocados
- 4 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Jane's Crazy Seasonings Mixed Up Salt or your favorite
- Pour the beans into a shallow bowl, and coarsely mash them with a fork or potato masher. Alternatively, you can use a mini chopper or a small food processor. The chickpeas shouldn't be completely smooth, nor left completely whole since you'll be spreading it on toasts.
- Stir in the celery, onion, garlic, dill, lemon, salt, and mayonnaise.
- Toast the bread and slice the avocados into thin long slices.
- Spread the chickpea salad on the toasts and top with avocado slices. Drizzle a little olive oil over the chickpea avocado toasts, and finish with a sprinkle of seasoned salt.