Deliciously healthy chickpea spread with garlic, onions, lemon and mayo for your next batch of avocado toasts.
This is officially my new favorite way to lunch.
We all know avocado toasts are all the rage. I started making them for lunch 2 - 3 times a week last summer. I'd slice up a half an avocado. Toast up a slice of seeded bread, grab some good olive oil, and finish it off with a spray of Jane's Crazy Salt. Well now I'm stepping up my game with this lunch, thanks to Anna at Cheese with Noodles.
Yes, it's Secret Recipe Club again and I've got two blogs and recipes to share today! First up is this fabulous recipe. For the uninitiated, The Secret Recipe Club is a group of around 130 food bloggers, separated into four smaller blogging groups, each of which post at different times of the month. Every month, we’re each assigned a blog in our group to look through. We try a few recipes and chose one to post about. But all month, we keep our assignment a secret until ‘reveal day’. It’s been a lot of fun – and I’ve found some great new blogs to follow and new recipes to add to my rotation.
This month I was assigned to Cheese with Noodles, written by Anna. Anna lives in the interior of Alaska with her husband and lots of pets, ranging from cats and dogs to bunnies. She loves anything craftsy, and gardening (when it's not in the dark of winter). Some of her recipes that caught my eye were Buttermilk Crumb Muffins and Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup, but I really latched onto her Garbanzo Sandwich Spread. It was adapted from this recipe on Allrecipes. It's great on its own, with toasted pita bread triangles or on an avocado toast. Feel free to make your own adjustments - I used garlic and minced onions instead of garlic powder and onion powder, and cut back a bit on the mayonnaise. I also made my beans from dried beans instead of using canned beans, because I make a fresh batch of beans most weeks in the slow cooker. Think of this as a vegetarian version of tuna salad - with all of its variations.
Chickpea Spread for Avocado Toasts
- 2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup finely diced celery about 1 stalk
- ¼ cup minced spring onion or white onion
- 1 ½ tablespoon chunky garlic paste I use Gourmet Gardens
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 pieces of whole wheat seeded bread
- 2 avocados
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Jane's Crazy Seasonings Mixed Up Salt
- Cook the chickpeas according this recipe in a slow cooker. Drain when tender. Measure out 2 cups of cooked chickpeas while warm. Spill them into a shallow bowl, and coarsely mash with a fork or potato masher. They shouldn't be completely smooth, nor left completely whole.
- Stir in the celery, onion, garlic, dill, lemon, salt, and mayonnaise to create a spread.
- Toast the bread and slice the avocados into thin long slices.
- Spread the chickpea spread on the toasts and top with avocado slices. Drizzle a little olive oil over the avocado slices and chickpea spread, and finish with a spray of seasoned salt.