This deliciously healthy chickpea spread for toast is mixed with garlic, onions, lemon and mayonnaise and topped with slices of avocado for a new version of avocado toast. And it's all ready in 20 minutes or less.
This is officially my new favorite way to lunch. Or when I want a no-fuss, healthy dinner that takes close to zero time to make.
We all know avocado toasts are all the rage. I started making them for lunch 2 - 3 times a week last summer. I'd slice up a half an avocado. Toast up a slice of seeded bread, grab some good olive oil, and finish it off with a spray of Jane's Crazy Salt. Well now I'm stepping up my game with this version with chickpea salad.
🧅 Main Ingredients + Notes
For the all of the ingredients, measurements and directions, go to the Recipe Card at the bottom of this post.
- Chickpeas - either canned or cook your own from dried.
- Yellow Onion - scallions, spring onions, white onion or red onion all work in this recipe.
- Fresh Dill
- Lemon juice
- Bread slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Seasoned salt - I use Crazy Jane's Seasoned Salt, but feel free to use you own favorite.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products and foods I use in my kitchen. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. To view my entire storefront of recommended kitchen tools and equipment, check out my shop on Amazon.
🔪 Recommended Equipment
- Chef's knife
🥬 Make it Vegan
Use a vegan mayonnaise. There are several available in most markets.
📇 More Easy Lunches or Light Dinners
Roasted Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mayonnaise
15-Minute Vegan Chickpea Salad
Chickpea Salad Avocado Toast
- 1 can chickpeas (or cook your own)
- ½ cup finely diced celery about 1 stalk
- ¼ cup finely diced onion or white onion or spring onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 pieces of whole wheat seeded bread or any bread
- 2 large avocados
- 4 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Jane's Crazy Seasonings Mixed Up Salt or your favorite
- Pour the beans into a shallow bowl, and coarsely mash them with a fork or potato masher. Alternatively, you can use a mini chopper or a small food processor. The chickpeas shouldn't be completely smooth, nor left completely whole since you'll be spreading it on toasts.
- Stir in the celery, onion, garlic, dill, lemon, salt, and mayonnaise.
- Toast the bread and slice the avocados into thin long slices.
- Spread the chickpea salad on the toasts and top with avocado slices. Drizzle a little olive oil over the chickpea avocado toasts, and finish with a sprinkle of seasoned salt.
I love avocado toast too, and this chickpea spread elevates it to a perfect level, if you ask me
great choice for your assignment this month!
Hope you are having a great Reveal Monday!
What's Jane's Crazy Salt?! I am so curious, I love avocado toast but I haven't 'mixed things up' with the salt as yet (though I do add chilli flakes!). This chickpea spread looks absolutely delicious Susan. I'm already a massive fan of hummus with avocado but I like the chunky texture and seasoning in this. Definitely reminiscent of tuna salad, vegetarian style! Will definitely try it.
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
NOW we're talking some lunch! This is right up my alley, and I love the notion of chick peas instead of tuna. Perfect!
(And you'll like this...I looked at the array of photos and I tried to guess which one you had done, and I got it right, first time, based on content -- vegetarian -- AND style!)
I need some of this in my life soon! I love avocado on toast, but this chickpea spread looks like it would just send it over the top!
I love cooking my beans in the slow cooker, too.
Avocado toast is the best and I love that you added chickpea's. It's superfood and will satisfy for sure.
Yum. I love chickpeas, well, Hummus, but this looks delicious as well. I guess I need to learn how to cook beans from scratch, I usually just keep a few cans of chickpeas in the pantry, but so going to try this. Great SRC choice.
What a great alternative to hummus! Love your changes to the recipe too. Another Secret Recipe Club winner.
I think I just found my next healthy snack or lunch! I love this recipe!
Yum. That sounds so good, and so easy. I end up scrambling for lunch, and this sounds perfect!
Megan - The Emotional Baker
I still haven't tried avocado toast! Love the addition of chickpeas! Must try soon!
This is the perfect snack anytime of the day or night (and I do that at odd hours!)...thanks for the healthy goodliness!!
I eat hummus and avocado on my WW bread nearly every morning! I love that your spread has a little crunch---perfect!!!
I'm a HUGE avocado fan, this recipe looks great!
Megan @ MegUnprocessed.com
Avocado Toast is my favorite! I love that you added a chickpea spread, Yum!
Vicky @ Avocado Pesto
I make something similar to this but without the celery and dill, so I know this will be delicious!
Ashley - Baker by Nature
I love quick and easy lunch ideas like this!
nicole @ I am a Honey Bee
great pick for SRC and great recipe