BROCCOLI CHEDDAR FRITTATA WITH TOMATOES
We have friends in Ashland, just over the California line into Oregon, who we visit when we drive to Portland to see our step-daughter and her family. Ashland is famous for it’s vibrant theatre life and is synonymous for Shakespeare on the west coast. They’ve even created a replica of the Globe theater, in addition to their other theaters in town. The acting and directing is first rate.
And so is the food in town. Especially if you eat at Ron and Susan’s home. Susan is a master at frittatas, and when we traveled through there a couple of weeks ago, she greeted us one morning with a fluffy frittata filled with mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese. We brought some strawberries which Susan tossed with other berries she had on hand, and someone else had picked up a coffeecake. We were in Heaven.
My mom has been gone for a few years now, but if she was still with me, this is the breakfast I’d love to make her for Mother’s Day, except she’d want broccoli in hers. There’s so much that’s happened in my life since she passed away. We’d have quite a visit with so much to share.
Happy Mother’s Day mom.
- I use a frittata pan to make frittatas. It’s worth getting, as it can be used for anything. Especially making hash brown potatoes.
Sausage is the obvious choice, especially a spicy Italian pork sausage, or chorizo. Cook it up, crumble or slice, and add to the frittata with the broccoli.
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 large eggs, well whisked
- ¾ tsp sea salt, to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Steam the broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the deeper pan of the frittata cookware over medium-high heat, and add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the steamed broccoli, eggs, salt and pepper. Shake the pan a couple of times to even out the distribution of the egg. When the egg starts to set up around the edges, it's time to flip. Fit the shallow pan of the frittata set over the deep pan, and quickly flip it over. Remove the deep pan and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the frittata.
- Place the deep pan back over the shallow pan for about 3 - 4 minutes to melt the cheese and continue cooking the frittata. Slide it out onto a serving platter and serve.
The theme this week on #SundaySupper is, of course, Mother’s Day. Big thanks to Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla for hosting us this week. It’s a lot of work, and we all appreciate it!
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom Manchego Cream Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- 5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.