Orange mango smoothie with lime and ginger for a heart healthy start to the day.
A couple of months ago, I was offered a Ninja blender and I have LOVED using it for all kinds of things. But the things I’ve enjoyed making the most are smoothies and juices. They’re a great way to start the day on a healthy foot, and they just make me feel good.
Sometimes I just use what’s in the refrigerator – oranges, ginger, kale, and apples. Other times, I look at what I have in the freezer – berries, mango, or frozen pineapple. This little baby, though, is my current fave: an orange + frozen mango + lemon + lime + ginger. So good.
This week on Sunday Supper, we’re celebrating Heart Healthy dishes, and this feels like a great heart healthy way to start the day. If you’re interested in tips for a heart healthy diet, go check out this link to the American Heart Association’s Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations.
- 1 Navel orange, peeled and quartered
- ½ apple, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup frozen mango pieces
- 2 small wedges of lime, peeled
- 2 small wedges of lemon, peeled
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (or use pre-cut in a jar)
- ½ tsp honey (citrus honey is best)
- 3 - 4 ice cubes
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and whirl like crazy until it's all completely pureed.
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Omelet by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Oatmeal Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Honey-Banana Almond Butter Smoothie by The Messy Baker
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
- Sprouted Buckwheat Blackberry Banana Bread by Simply Healthy Family
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Curried Cauliflower Rice and Chicken by The Dinner-Mom
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Having Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.