We’re celebrating beans this week at #SundaySupper, but first a word about eggs. I have a weakness for things topped with a fried egg. Sautéed greens, Brussels sprouts hash, and pasta – it’s all good. I draw the line at pie, and probably ice cream, but I’m on board for almost anything else. This dish is my latest – it’s about getting beans and eggs together. Think Mexico’s Huevos Rancheros and France’s Salade Lyonnaise hooking up and having a baby.
The ragout can be made a few days ahead, making this a fast meal to pull together for either a brunch or casual dinner, and feel free to use white navy beans if that’s your preference.
The Carnivore-Vegivore Table:
Add thick-cut lardons or chorizo.
Black-Eyed Pea Ragout with Frisée and an Egg: #SundaySupper
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 1/2 tsp minced Serrano pepper
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped roasted garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 - 3 Tbsp water
Potatoes, Frisée and Egg
- 1/4 cup high-temperature cooking oil
- 4 Yukon potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 small heads frisée
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- Heat up the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat - I use my Le Creuset. Sauté the shallots, Serrano, roasted garlic, oregano, and salt for 5 minutes - or until the shallots and pepper are softened.
- Add the legumes, tomatoes and water, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the black-eyed peas are hot.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, and sauté the potatoes until they begin to crisp - about 7 minutes. Pour out all the oil leaving 1 tablespoon in the pan. Add the sherry vinegar and the frisée. Swish around the pan until wilted.
- Melt the butter in a skillet for frying eggs over medium heat. Break open the eggs into the pan and flip after about 1½ minutes. Cook to the amount of doneness desired.
- To assemble: lay one-fourth of the fried potatoes on a plate and top with one small frisée head. Spoon one-fourth of the beans over the frisée, and top with the egg. Serve warm.
And now go check out everyone’s dishes with beans!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.