Watermelon and feta salad with verjus dressing for a super-easy summer salad.

watermelon and feta salad, verjus, summer, easy entertaining

Ver-what?

Verjus isn’t a mainstream ingredient, and yet it’s been around since the Middle Ages when it was used as a sauce ingredient, tenderizer, and condiment. It’s pronounced ver-jue, translated as “green juice”, and is extracted from unripened grapes.

Verjus is much softer than the brash edges of vinegar, think green apple tartness instead, but is often used as an alternative. What I particularly like is that less oil is needed in a vinaigrette when I use verjus. A lot less. Instead of using the typical 3 – 4 parts oil to vinegar, for example, in this salad I went with 1/2 part oil to verjus. That’s a huge difference in calories.

I’ve used both Terra Sonoma’s VerJus out of Sonoma County (California), and Navarro’s Verjus, a Mendocino, California winery, and they’re both wonderful. Add it to salad dressings, sauces, braises, or the water used to simmer artichokes or whole grains for a wine-like infusion of flavor that’s not overly sweet.

As a note, verjus is non-alcoholic and only lasts about a week in the refrigerator once opened, so use it lavishly.

Watermelon and Feta Salad with Verjus

Prep time:

Cook time:

Total time:

Serves: Serves 4

• 1 small watermelon
  • ⅓ c feta cheese (I use feta cheese from sheep's milk)
  • ⅛ c (2 T) mint leaves thinly slivered
  • ⅛ c (2 T) basil leaves thinly slivered
  • ⅛ c (2 T) pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds)
  • ¼ cup verjus
  • 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Cut away the green and white rind layers from the watermelon, and slice into 1-inch cubes. Lay on a serving dish.
  2. Cut the cheese into ½-inch pieces and spread over the watermelon pieces.
  3. Sprinkle the mint and basil on top. When I use basil in my garden, I toss on some basil flowers too. Add the pepitas.
  4. Combine the verjus and oil, and drizzle over the watermelon salad. Finish with a light pinch of salt and ground black pepper.
  5. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving.
Notes
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)

Calories: 188
Fat: 13.4 g (Saturated Fat: 3.9 g)
Sodium: 195.9 g
Potassium: 174 g
Carbs: 13.1 g
Protein: 5.4 g

This is a great salad for a last-minute BBQ, a potluck dinner, or a picnic. And it’s picnic season! In honor of picnic season as we march towards the big 4th of July holiday here in the States, the #SundaySupper crowd is having a huge virtual picnic. So go see what everyone’s bringing, and pick up some great ideas for your own picnic! A big thanks to Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner for hosting us this week!

Beverages

Appetizers

Mains

Sides

Salads

Sandwiches and Wraps

Sweets

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , , ,

36 Responses to “Watermelon Salad with Verjus: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. apuginthekitchen June 29, 2014 at 7:39 am #

I have used verjus a long time ago and had forgotten about it. I love how you use it here on the watermelon salad, a stroke of genius, you are right it’s much less acidic or harsh than vinegar. Watermelon and feta is one of my favorite combinations.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Yogurt And Fruit Popsicles With A Hint Of Elderflower And A Supermarket FindMy Profile

2. cheri June 29, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Hi Susan, love this salad, I find watermelon is always so refreshing, love it combined with the feta, will have to check out the verjus, sounds delicious!
    cheri recently posted..The Cottage Cooking Club Month of June Two RecipesMy Profile

3. Marlene @Nosh My Way June 29, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Watermelon and feta are definitely a great combination.
    Marlene @Nosh My Way recently posted..Layered Chicken Salad #SundaysupperMy Profile

4. Stacy June 29, 2014 at 9:45 am #

This is my favorite kind of salad, Susan! I know I would love the salty feta with the sweet watermelon since I always eat watermelon with a sprinkle of sea salt. Can’t wait to try this!
    Stacy recently posted..Rosemary Nectarine Sparkling Cocktail #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Tara June 29, 2014 at 10:49 am #

I was wondering when I would see the watermelon, I think it has to be in the top 5 to bring to a picnic, perfect recipe!!

6. Liz June 29, 2014 at 11:58 am #

What a stunning salad…the epitome of summer with the watermelon! And I need to track down some verjus to give it a try :)

7. Courtney @ Neighborfood June 29, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

I have heard so much about this watermelon feta salad, but have yet to try it or make it myself. Looks like I also need to find some verjus! Thanks for the info on it!
    Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Red, White, and Blue Berry Angel Food Cake Parfaits #SundaySupperMy Profile

8. Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen June 29, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

YUM!! Watermelon and feta would taste sooo good together! Great salad :)

9. Shaina June 29, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Love love love this salad. Watermelon and feta go together so perfectly!
    Shaina recently posted..New and Improved Site Launch Coming Soon!My Profile

10. Martin D Redmond June 29, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

Mmmm. I bet the verjus really set this off! I’ve had the Navarro verjus and it’s great. I’ll have to pick some up now that I know what to do with it besides drink it! Great looking recipe! Pinning!
    Martin D Redmond recently posted..The Best #SundaySupper Picnic WinesMy Profile

11. Sarah June 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

My coworker brought something almost identical to work on the last day of school, it looked amazing
    Sarah recently posted..Chocolate Chunk Brownies for a Picnic #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious June 29, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

How interesting…verjus! The same principle happens with rice vinegar. It is half the acidity, so you need far, far less olive oil in the dressing to balance it. Great tip! And I really want this salad at every picnic, party and potluck for the rest of my life.
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Red, White and Blue Fruit and Cheese Salad for a #SundaySupper PicnicMy Profile

13. Susan June 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

I have never heard of verjus before but it sounds like something I’d like and this salad looks delicious.
    Susan recently posted..Cherry Pie Crumb Bars #SundaySupperMy Profile

14. Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) June 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm #

A picnic isn’t a picnic without watermelon!

15. Christy June 29, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

This is one of my favorite summer salads, I’ve never tried it with the verjus. Can’t wait to try your version!
    Christy recently posted..#SundaySupper – Do the Dip!My Profile

16. Marion@Life Tastes Good June 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

This is such a beautiful salad and it looks so refreshing! It cools me off just looking at your beautiful pic!!

17. laurasmess June 29, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

We have an Australian cook/media personality called Maggie Beer who is a big advocate for the use of verjus (or verjuice as it is often labelled over here!). It’s great, I’ve fallen in love with it! Love this gorgeous salad, the crunchy pepitas and herbs must add so much gorgeous complexity. I can’t wait to try it xx
    laurasmess recently posted..Beef and Guinness Hand PiesMy Profile

18. I’ve never heard of verjus so thank you for teaching me something new!
    DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts recently posted..Grilled London Broil with Caramelized Red Onions for a Picnic #SundaySupperMy Profile

19. Choc Chip Uru June 30, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

Verjus is so classy an ingredient to use, I just read Lauramess’s comment but I was about to mention Maggie Beer as well :P
    This salad looks fantastic, the texture of feta and watermelon would be perfect!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..CCU Undercover: Full Moon Thai w/ Menulog + Giveaway AnnouncementsMy Profile

20. Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch June 30, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

I always love a watermelon salad! So easy and relish!
    Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch recently posted..Banana Pudding Cheesecake #SundaySupperMy Profile

21. Cindys Recipes and Writings July 1, 2014 at 3:29 am #

I can almost taste this, sweet watermelon and mild feta with verjus! Perfect!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Cherry Chicken Salad guest post at Peanut Butter and PeppersMy Profile

22. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons July 1, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

I love any instruction to use something lavishly! I can’t wait to get my hands on some verjus now. Definitely starting some research as to where I might be able to get some around here.

Love the combo of watermelon and feta, and the pepitas for crunch are so smart!
    Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted..Basil Berry DaiquiriMy Profile

23. Terra July 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

I keep reading recipes using watermelon in a unique way. I need to try watermelon in a new way for sure! Such a lovely refreshing salad! Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Cherry Rum Chocolate CandiesMy Profile

24. mjskit July 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

I’ve never heard of verjus. How very interesting!! Thanks for introducing a new ingredient. I love this salad and can’t wait for watermelons to start showing up here. I make something similar with a little preserved lemons added in. Now I’m on the hunt for verjus .
    mjskit recently posted..Mixed Berry Pudding (aka Summer Pudding)My Profile

25. Mary @ Fit and Fed July 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

I have heard of verjus but never seen it for sale. It sounds perfect to go with fruit with its relative softness. I love watermelon and feta salad, just had one last week!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Roasted Orange and Yellow Pepper GazpachoMy Profile