A twist on a blackberry buckle: easy cornbread cake covered by a blanket of luscious blackberries, topped by oat streusel.
I've had a hankering to make a blackberry buckle for a long time. Every since, in fact, I saw this recipe on Food52 for Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by janeofmanytrade. So, a couple of weeks ago when Carnivorous Maximus and I stopped by a farm stand in the Central Valley selling boxes brimming with fat blackberries, I knew immediately what I would make.
But would they be good enough for this dessert that I'd been planning in my head for, like, a YEAR? After all, the expectations of any dish I make are inversely proportional to how long I procrastinate in actually making it. When I put off making my own hummus for five years, I expected my first go at it to be rock star. Good enough for the Food Network. Giada should be calling me.
So purely in the interest of research, I slipped one of those juicy babies into my mouth when the farm stand operator wasn't looking, and it softly burst open with warm berry sweetness and just a touch tart. Sold. Money was quickly exchanged (thanks Myles!). I reserved one box just for snacking and morning yogurt. The rest were destined for buckle greatness I would serve at a casual dinner party with friends.
What's a buckle? Cake batter generously covered with luscious, juicy fruit and finished with a streusel topping. The weight of the fruit buckles the cake as it bakes, creating a very rustic, farmhouse-like cake. It might not win prizes for how it looks, but it's one of my favorite ways to eat cake in the summer. It's tender and moist with a burst of fruit. Summer perfection on a plate.
Farmstand Blackberry Cornbread Buckle: #SundaySupper BBQ
- 4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 6 oz unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oat Crumb Topping below
- Combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon zest, rosewater, and cardamom in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 10" deep dish pie plate, 10" x 10" pan, or 11" pie plate, and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, waiting until each egg is completely mixed in before adding the next. You may need to scrape the bowl in between adding the eggs, particularly after the first one.
- Whisk the flours and baking powder together to thoroughly distribute the baking powder through the flours. Even though this is a buckle, it's nice to have an even buckling, so to speak. Fold the flour mixture into the batter in thirds using a spatula until combined. Pour in the buttermilk and continue folding until no streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the surface. Top the cornbread evenly with the berries. By now, there should be some juices in the berry bowl - make sure you add those too! The berries should cover the entire cake.
- Sprinkle the Oat Crumb Topping evenly over the fruit, and bake until a pick comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Because of all the berries, it's good to test the cake in a few areas. This cake is fantastic served warm or cold, but warm is just a little better. And don't forget a scoop of ice cream.
Oatmeal Crumb Topping
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and toss around with your fingers. Add the butter cubes and rub the ingredients together with your fingers until pea sized crumbs are formed.
This week #SundaySupper celebrates BBQs and we're all sharing recipes to serve at your next one, whether it's a small dinner for two or a neighborhood block party BBQ. Big thanks to Jenny of The Messy Baker and Melanie of Melanie Makes blogs for co-hosting us this week! If you're pulling together a BBQ tonight or anytime soon, we've got a bazillion fabulous ideas for you. From beverages (including wine pairing ideas) all the way through dessert, we've got you covered here at #SundaySupper.
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- BBQ Stuffed Calimari from Jane's Adventure in Dinner
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques' Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom's Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby's Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S'mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S'mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.