#Secret Recipe Club: Jalapeño halves filled with cornbread for a perfect party appetizer, with instructions for baking at high altitude.

jalapeno poppers filled with cornbread

Sometimes you see a recipe and instantly recognize genius simplicity. The genius perfection of peanut butter and jelly filling for a chocolate layer cake. Or whipping up cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract and piping it into hulled strawberries with a sprinkle of graham crackers for a lazy cheesecake dessert. Baking dollops of cornbread batter in hollowed out jalapeño shells is right up there now with my favorites.

Secret Recipe Club

It’s time for Secret Recipe Club again and I had the good fortune of being assigned Flying on Jess Fuel, written and published by Jess,  who’s married to a Navy Pilot. They’ve moved around the country for his fighter jet training and work, and are now nicely settled in California where she and her husband raise quail in the backyard (sometimes up to 40 quail at a time!!!) and grow an incredibly prolific garden.

There are so many things about Jess’s blog to love, such as the wide selection of recipes (including a whole vegetarian selection), and her fresh voice. Some recipes that caught my eye were Springtime Vegetable Skillet Baked Ziti , Spiced Dal with Cilantro Yogurt, Orange Sage and Beer Biscuits, and at the top of my list: Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies. I’ve totally got to try those.

But we’ve had a lot of little dinners and brunches in our new kitchen over the past couple of months, and what I really needed were appetizers. It’s my weakest area of entertaining. Between planning and cooking the main meal, and getting the house ready for guests, appetizers are a last minute scramble as I dig around the pantry for crackers not (too) stale. I’ve got to do better. And these amazing little Jalapeño Cornbread Poppers are just the ticket (assuming I don’t eat them all before guests arrive).

Cooking Notes:

I made these in Tahoe at ~6400 feet above sea level, so I used self-rising flour and nixed the baking powder. At sea level, that won’t be enough to puff up the cornbread, so I recommend you follow Jess’s direction of using all-purpose flour and adding 1 Tablespoon baking powder.

I cut the recipe in half, and used a little more egg than recommended, again to compensate for the dryness in high altitudes. At sea level, use 1/2 egg if you cut the recipe in half as I did.

I substituted coconut sugar for granulated sugar, and used coconut oil for the oil. The result was a subtle coconut flavor that was great with the jalapeños.

Jess adapted these from Oh Bite It, which used a box recipe for the cornbread.

I had a little cornbread batter left over as I was a little cautious on how much to spoon into the jalapeño cavities. Baking at high altitudes can present explosive surprises. So darn it, I had to make little cornbread muffins with the left overs. So, so good.

Cornbread muffins

Notes for the Vegetarian – Carnivore Table:

Adding a little cooked, crumbled chorizo sausage to the batter wouldn’t go amiss if you must add meat. Just make sure the chorizo has cooled off before you fold it in to prevent scrambling the egg in the batter.

Jalapeño Cornbread Poppers (High Altitude Baking)

Prep time:

Cook time:

Total time:

Serves: Makes 12 little poppers

Serving size: ½ jalapeño

• 6 medium-large fresh jalapeño peppers
  • ⅓ c self-rising flour
  • ¼ c yellow cornmeal
  • 1½ T coconut sugar
  • ⅛ t kosher salt
  • 1 T coconut oil
  • ¾ large egg
  • 3 T 2% milk
  • ⅔ c shredded cheddar, divided
  • ½ c sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
  2. Slice each jalapeño down the center, and remove seeds and ribs. Try to keep some stem on each half.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, oil, and milk until just mixed. Stir in ½ cup of the cheese and all of the corn. Carefully spoon the batter into each jalapeño half until barely mounded. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar.
  4. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cornbread is firm and cooked through. At sea level, the baking time should be closer to 15 minutes.

Tags: , , ,

37 Responses to “Jalapeño Cornbread Poppers” Subscribe

1. April @ Angels Homestead June 22, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

I can just imagine how tasty these are, adding a cheesy cornbread filling to poppers is genius. I cant have them, but I know the rest of my family would absolutely love them. PINed it. :)
    April @ Angels Homestead recently posted..Allergy Free Meatloaf + Roasted Green Beans – SRCMy Profile

2. Couscous & Consciousness June 22, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

I love the idea of cooking cornbread in the cavity of the jalapenos. This would be great for an appetiser, or nice accompaniment to soup as well. Great choice.
    Sue
    Couscous & Consciousness recently posted..Cinnamon Walnut Coffee CakeMy Profile

3. Debra June 23, 2014 at 3:15 am #

That is truly genius. What a great accompaniment to a chili.
    Debra recently posted..The 12-Mile DinnerMy Profile

4. Emily @ Life on Food June 23, 2014 at 3:25 am #

These little bites look delicious! Great pick! Happy Reveal Day!

5. Lauren Everson June 23, 2014 at 3:48 am #

You’re right, stroke of genius. I’m getting excited for football season already! Nice pick this month.

6. Melissa June 23, 2014 at 3:58 am #

Jalapeño poppers is one of my all time favorite appetizers. I could eat an entire plate myself! These sound fantastic! Great pick this month :)
    Melissa recently posted..Pickled Beet SaladMy Profile

7. Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life June 23, 2014 at 4:22 am #

I am so excited to see these! I absolutely love jalapeno poppers!! Pinning (and stumbling too)! If you have a free moment, I would love it if you came by and linked them up with us at Foodie Fridays!
    Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life recently posted..Plan Your Menu with Great Recipes at #FoodieFridays no.1My Profile

8. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere June 23, 2014 at 5:46 am #

I love the idea of adding cornbread to jalapeno poppers! Awesome pick!

9. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious June 23, 2014 at 6:11 am #

Genius!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..No-Mato Sauce (Tomato-Free Pasta Sauce) for Secret Recipe ClubMy Profile

10. JJ - 84thand3rd June 23, 2014 at 6:20 am #

These are such a great idea! Fab pick!
    JJ – 84thand3rd recently posted..Fresh-Baked Bagel for One (Honey Wholewheat & Cinnamon Raisin)My Profile

11. Rebekah @ Making Miracles June 23, 2014 at 6:36 am #

Those look amazing!! I’m scared of jalapenos (I’m a wimp) but I can drool over your photos! :)
    Rebekah @ Making Miracles recently posted..Secret Recipe Club: Whole Wheat Oatmeal Molasses BreadMy Profile

12. Karen June 23, 2014 at 7:27 am #

What a FABULOUS recipe and as a hot and spicy lover, these would be perfect for before dinner drinks or a tasty snack! Great SRC pick, Karen
    Karen recently posted..Magical Midsummer’s Eve: Elderflower and Strawberry Cordial/SyrupMy Profile

13. SallyBR June 23, 2014 at 7:34 am #

Very nice choice for your assignment this month! I had jalapeno poppers for the first time a couple of months ago, fell in love, but never made them at home

you are tempting me! ;0)))
    SallyBR recently posted..SECRET RECIPE CLUB: QUINOA FRIED RICEMy Profile

14. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie June 23, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Oh wow a jalapeno stuffed with cornbread sounds awesome.

15. Amy @ Fearless Homemaker June 23, 2014 at 10:54 am #

Oh, I love jalapeno poppers and these look SO good. I would LOVE a couple of these for lunch right now!

16. Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel June 23, 2014 at 11:21 am #

Your peppers came out beautifully! I’m so glad you enjoyed these… they are one of my all-time most popular recipes on my blog!! High altitude baking is so intriguing to me down here at ~250 ft. ;)

17. Stephanie June 23, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

This cornbread sound so delicious and interesting! The idea of high altitude baking scares me, however.

Great SRC post
    Stephanie recently posted..Tofu Chocolate PuddingMy Profile

18. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories June 23, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

These look delicious! I love Jess’s blog! Lucky you, being in Tahoe, one of my favorite places!
    Karen @ Karen’s Kitchen Stories recently posted..Fork Cookies (or Fork Biscuits)My Profile

19. Erika June 23, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

GUH. Those look so good. I’m not a huuuge fan of spicy and I rarely make stuffed peppers, but if you stuff them with CORNBREAD…oh my. I’m all in! On a scale of 1-10, how spicy would you say these are? Maybe I’ll try this…in a bell pepper! I could totally make a meal out of cornbread in a pepper :)
    Erika recently posted..Piadina Grilled CheeseMy Profile

20. apuginthekitchen June 23, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

That really is a genius idea, I love it. Baking the cornbread in the pepper, brilliantly delicious. So nice to highlight Jess, her quails and garden. Beautiful blog!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Sri Lankan Curry Chicken Kebabs for Fiesta Friday #21My Profile

21. Tara June 23, 2014 at 4:20 pm #

These look delicious! Such a great appetizer. My husband would love them.
    Tara recently posted..Cinnamon RollsMy Profile

22. Kirstin June 23, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

oh wow! These sound yummy and I’m not even a fan of jalapenos.

23. Asiya @ Chocolate & Chillies June 23, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

These looks amazing!!! Love the cornbread topping..great SRC pick!

24. mjskit June 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

One of the best version of jalapeno poppers I’ve seen in a long time! YUM!
    mjskit recently posted..Bok Choy with Pecans and LemongrassMy Profile

25. laurasmess June 23, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

These look AMAZING. I love jalapenos, I could eat them in every meal. I’ve never stuffed my own but I am definitely going to try this beautiful recipe. Yum, Susan!! So good!
    laurasmess recently posted..Brookwood Estate, Margaret RiverMy Profile

26. cheri June 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

What a great recipe Susan, this would be perfect for entertaining. Love your presentation.
    cheri recently posted..The Cottage Cooking Club Month of June Two RecipesMy Profile

27. bakingaddict June 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

I baked with cornmeal too this month. This looks absolutely delicious and perfect for entertaining guests. Great SRC pick!
    bakingaddict recently posted..SRC: Cranberry CornbreadMy Profile

28. Oui, Chef June 25, 2014 at 5:57 am #

Can’t wait to make these…they sound AMAZING!
    Oui, Chef recently posted..Ham and Peas PizzaMy Profile

29. Terra July 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Oh my word I need these in my life! They are definitely a genius idea! I plan to for sure make them soon! Yum, Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Cherry Rum Chocolate CandiesMy Profile