Easy strawberry sherbet in 5 minutes using 4 ingredients!

Strawberry Sherbet recipe

Easy recipes with few ingredients are the best way to allow individual ingredients to shine. Unfettered by all the bells and whistles of their more complicated kin, fruits and vegetables at their peak sing a solo and bring the house down. The entire country of Italy has mastered this art to perfection.

five ingredients or less

This week, as #Sunday Supper celebrates recipes with 5 ingredients or less, I could have made some simple fried artichokes in the Roman fashion – or roasted them with some olive oil and lemon. I could have thrown together a quick a carbonara with fava beans or asparagus, or any number of other dishes I love. But as I stared at plump rosy strawberries at the market this week, I knew these juicy babies would be my star.

Cooking Tips

The most important thing to remember in this recipe is to throw the berries, the food processor bowl and blade, and milk into the freezer an hour or two before making the sherbet. If you don’t, you’ll get a smoothie instead of sherbet. All good, but it won’t be sherbet.

This recipe makes a sherbet that’s soft. If you want it harder, just empty the sherbet from the processor bowl into a container and pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.

One of the best things about this recipe is I can now make sherbet just for me, or double it if my husband wants some. I don’t have to commit to an entire pint (or more). Because no matter how much will power I can try to muster, I’m going to eat that whole pint if it’s in the house. Know what I’m saying?

Five-Minute Strawberry Sherbet

Prep Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

Yield: Serves 1

Ingredients...

• 1 cup whole strawberries, hulled
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup superfine cane sugar (also called caster sugar)
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup whole milk

Directions...

1. Freeze the strawberries, milk, and the work bowl and blade of your food processor for at least 1 hour, until the berries are frozen solid.
  2. Place the frozen strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to chop berries coarsely; then run the machine continuously to create almost a purèe.
  3. With the machine still running, pour the very cold milk through the feed tube into the strawberry mixture until the mixture is JUST blended.
  4. Spoon into dessert dishes, garnish with fresh mint, and serve immediately!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

And now, go check out everyone’s recipe this week! A HUGE thanks to Alice at The Hip Foodie Mom for hosting us so fabulously!
Appetizers, Salads and Starters

Sides and Accompaniments

Main Dishes

Desserts and Beverages

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to “5-Minute Strawberry Sherbet: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. The Ninja Baker April 27, 2014 at 1:44 am #

Pinning your pink dessert of perfection.
    Saving your recipe of scrumptiousness.
    And inspired by your ingenuity, Susan =)

Thank you!

2. laurasmess April 27, 2014 at 2:06 am #

Oh man, five minutes?? Totally making this! What a fantastic recipe. Love this series… I am now going to attempt to click through all the links! Great recipe and gorgeous photo Susan x
    laurasmess recently posted..Mary Street Bakery, HighgateMy Profile

3. apuginthekitchen April 27, 2014 at 4:35 am #

Wonderful, love five minutes and five ingredients. How easy is this and is a perfect summer dessert or treat. Can’t wait for strawberries to hit the market.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Bloggers Bake Sale For No Kid Hungry-One Week From Today!!My Profile

4. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 27, 2014 at 6:09 am #

I love simple desserts like this! Looks amazing and I can imagine it would taste out of this world.
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Peanut Butter Buckeyes #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Run DMT April 27, 2014 at 6:22 am #

This is crazy EASY and is perfect for the summer! I’m totally pinning this! Can you use low fat mil (2%) or coconut mil for less fat/calories? I find it interesting that you have to freeze everything in the food processor bowl.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

I’ve not used low fat milk or coconut milk yet, but want to experiment that too. I’d love a lower fat version too :-) You don’t have to freeze everything in the bowl. I slide the blade in the bowl before putting in the freezer, but pour the milk into a small jar and place the strawberries on a piece of plastic wrap, not touching each other. I think I’ll try it with coconut milk this week! Hope you give it a try!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Five-Minute Strawberry Sherbet–#SundaySupper Five Ingredient or LessMy Profile

6. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom April 27, 2014 at 7:08 am #

This is a keeper! I love how easy this is and strawberries are at the top of my list of favorite fruits!
    Marjory @ Dinner-Mom recently posted..Chicken Asparagus Roll-ups for #SundaySupperMy Profile

7. Heather // girlichef April 27, 2014 at 8:01 am #

I’m so glad you made this choice – it looks amazing, and the color is just gorgeous. Must try!
    Heather // girlichef recently posted..Salmon and Cucumber “Noodle” Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

8. Laura April 27, 2014 at 9:03 am #

I am sorry did I really hear this correctly, 5 minutes? Not just 5 ingredients? I think I have just fallen in love with a recipe.
    Laura recently posted..Chorizo and Potato Frittata #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Liz April 27, 2014 at 9:15 am #

Oh my gosh, Susan, quick, easy AND delicious!!! What a marvelous recipe!!!
    Liz recently posted..Coconut Crusted Chocolate Ganache Pie #SundaySupperMy Profile

10. Shannon R April 27, 2014 at 11:28 am #

This turned out so PINK! I love it, so fresh and perfect for spring.

11. Rita April 27, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Susan, have you tried this to make more than 1 serving?
    Rita recently posted..Comment on Be-Deviled Eggs by Rita’s KitchenMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

I have, Rita. I demonstrated this for a class I taught a few years ago that was focused on strawberries. In the class I tripled the recipe without a problem, but I haven’t gone beyond that. This approach is designed for small batches, and at some point it’s not going to be cold enough to form ice cream. Oh, and when I tripled it, I put the lemon juice in the freezer too, and kept everything in for about 2 1/2 hours. The milk in particular must be very, very cold.

12. cheri April 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Hi Susan, I think I have just about a cup of strawberries left, this looks so great I am going to make this now. Love this!
    cheri recently posted..Herb Feta Dip and Flaky BreadMy Profile

13. Marlene @Nosh My Way April 27, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

oh wow. This sherbet is going on my list of things to make.
    Marlene @Nosh My Way recently posted..Five-Ingredient Slow Cooker Turkey Half Breast #SundaySupperMy Profile

14. Tara April 27, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Not only are there few ingredients it takes no time at all to make delicious sherbet. Great recipe!!

15. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom April 27, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

What a gorgeous gorgeous Strawberry Sherbet!!!! and ready so quickly?! oh my goodness, I cant wait to try this!
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Best Ever Coconut Macaroons for 5 Ingredients or Less #SundaySupperMy Profile

16. Laura Dembowski April 28, 2014 at 10:24 am #

I love making “ice cream” like this! It is one of my favorite treats and is rather amazing how delicious it turns out.
    Laura Dembowski recently posted..Golden Oreo Rice Krispies Treats #SundaySupperMy Profile

17. Katie April 28, 2014 at 11:57 am #

I love the beautiful color of this sherbet! I really do need to get myself an ice cream maker for my kitchen so I can make frozen treats like this!
    Katie recently posted..Confidence!My Profile

18. Sarah April 28, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

LOVE recipes like this, it’s perfect for summer!
    Sarah recently posted..Candied Apple Jelly: Toast Topper #45 #SundaySupperMy Profile

19. Julie April 29, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Oh, I’m definitely bookmarking this for when strawberries come into season!
    Julie recently posted..How to Cook + Freeze Dried Beans (Savvy Replay)My Profile

20. Terra April 29, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

With busy schedules, five minute recipe is always a winner in my book! Love your sherbert recipe! Yum, Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Raspberry Almond Chia PuddingMy Profile

21. Courtney @ Neighborfood April 30, 2014 at 7:08 am #

I love that this is a single serving sherbet. I always have trouble committing to a whole pint of any flavor, so this would be perfect for me! Pinned!
    Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Nigella’s Flourless Chocolate Orange CakeMy Profile

22. Shaina April 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

I love the color of your sherbet! What a perfect treat for summer
    Shaina recently posted..Boca Restaurant Review: Fork and KnifeMy Profile

23. Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen April 30, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

WOW I can’t believe it is that simple! It looks so good :)
    Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen recently posted..Mexican QuinoaMy Profile

24. Tracy April 30, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

WOW! I can’t believe that you can make that delicious dessert in 5 minutes!

25. Dionne Baldwin April 30, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

I certainly don’t mind that you made something sweet. :) I like mine softer so I would take your suggestion. I am so very excited that it’s strawberry season! Your sherbet is beautiful and looks delicious.

26. Cindys Recipes and Writings May 1, 2014 at 2:19 am #

Sounds like a perfect, quick treat for a hot day this summer!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Salmon with Tiger Dill Sauce #SundaySupperMy Profile

27. Renee May 1, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

My nephew loves sherbet and I can’t wait to make this recipe for him. Besides, strawberry season is here and I get fresh picked strawberries by the big bucket and I’m always looking for recipes to use them.
    Renee recently posted..German Apple CakeMy Profile

28. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva May 12, 2014 at 10:27 am #

I’ve been in the mood for homemade frozen dessert – you made this so simple! I really loved the 5 ingredients or less for reminding us that sometimes you can make great food without complicated ingredients or recipes!
    Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva recently posted..#SundaySupper – Carrot Ginger Soup& Rejuvenating Eye Polish for Mother’s DayMy Profile