Dutch baby topped with strawberries and sweetened ricotta cheese for brunch!

LR Dutch baby2 600

A Dutch baby, also known as a German pancake, is a form of sweet popovers typically served for breakfast. They’re  easy to make, great fun with kids – and might be the perfect Easter morning breakfast.

Just mix up some eggy batter, pour into a buttered hot skillet, and bake in a super-hot oven. That’s it. You’re almost done. Just be sure to turn on the oven light to catch the show.

After several minutes, the edges will begin to lift. Tentatively at first. Then suddenly with confidence as steam trapped in the eggs begins to expand. The bowl shape may hold for a couple of minutes after coming out of the oven, but as the steam cools and dissipates, the sides begin to droop, and then slump inward.

Dutch baby, german pancake, with strawberries and sweetened ricotta, brunch, Easter

Now all you need do is throw some sliced strawberries on top with a smear of sweetened ricotta cheese, or drizzle with a pure maple or fruit syrup. Although, if you’re aiming for more restraint, just sift a little confectioners sugar over the top.

A Dutch baby is best served warm. If you’re the precise type, slice it up in neat little wedges, and lift onto individual plates. If you prefer family-style eating, just put the skillet in the middle of the table. Tear off a large strip, wrap around a strawberry or two, and dip into sweetened ricotta. Have a second or third Dutch baby baking in the oven while you devour the first.

Dutch Baby with Strawberries

Prep time:

Cook time:

Total time:

Serves: 1 large Dutch baby (German pancake) feeds 1 - 2 people

Dutch Baby (German Pancake)
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup whole milk
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • ¼ tsp kosher salt
  • ¼ tsp vanilla extract
  • ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Sweetened Ricotta Topping
  • ⅓ cup well-drained ricotta cheese
  • 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp agave nectar
  • ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch kosher salt
  • 2 pints strawberries
Dutch Baby (German Pancake)
  1. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
  2. Whip together all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE BUTTER in a medium bowl.
  3. Place the butter in a 9" or 10" ovenproof skillet, and slide into the oven to completely melt. Remove and pour the batter into the skillet. Return to the skillet to the oven for 15 minutes or until the pancake is lightly browned, and the sides tower over the base.
Sweetened Ricotta Topping
  1. Whisk together all of the Topping ingredients. Slice the strawberries.
  2. Serve the Dutch babies with strawberries and the Sweetened Ricotta Topping.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Dutch Baby with Strawberries” Subscribe

1. cali April 19, 2014 at 2:37 am #

My Mom was Austrian German but we never had pancakes like this. They sound great, I can’t wait to try them, thanks so much.

2. apuginthekitchen April 19, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Mmmmm love a dutch baby and the ricotta and strawberries sounds so good with it. I love how light a dutch baby is, I could eat the whole pan!!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Coconut Pineapple Layer CakeMy Profile

3. Lynda - TasteFood April 19, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

This looks wonderful Susan. Great photo!
    Lynda – TasteFood recently posted..Flourless Chocolate Cake with Strawberries and CreamMy Profile

4. cheri April 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Just in time for Easter tomorrow Susan, what a lifesaver you are this is just perfect. Love your description of the baking process, very descriptive. Happy Easter to you and your husband!
    cheri recently posted..Easter breadMy Profile

5. Cynthia April 20, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Lovely! The daughter learned to make Dutch Babies in Girl Scouts when she was in elementary school, and they’re still her all-time favorite breakfast.
    Cynthia recently posted..WORDLESS WEDNESDAY: STOPPING TO SMELL THE ROSES, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIAMy Profile

6. Erika April 21, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Ahhhhh I love me a good dutch baby. By the looks of this gorgeous pancake it seems your oven is fixed? Is your kitchen functional?! I hope so!!! Ricotta + strawberries = true food love right there. I tried drizzling my last one in honey caramel and it was SO GOOD. Oh–have you tried The Wednesday Chef’s sow’s ear apple pancake? It was the first dutch baby I ever tried and to this day, my favorite :)
    Erika recently posted..Spanakopita Tart (vegan, GF)My Profile

7. mjskit April 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

What a beautiful breakfast!!! I’ve never made a Dutch baby but you have certainly inspired me to change that. This is awesome and I’m sure it taste as wonderful as it looks!
    mjskit recently posted..Fenugreek Fish and Clam BisqueMy Profile

8. Trish @infinebalance April 24, 2014 at 5:42 am #

That is beautiful.Impressive too. Besides I just love strawberries and ricotta – so it must be good!
    Trish @infinebalance recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly MuffinsMy Profile

9. Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits April 24, 2014 at 10:53 am #

I’ve made German apple pancake several time but my son wasn’t wild about it with the apples. I’m sure he’d like this version with cheese.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Nothin’ Says Spring Better ‘n Berries ‘n Cream!My Profile

10. Oui, Chef April 26, 2014 at 8:53 am #

Why have I never made a dutch baby….they look like so much fun. Saving this recipe for when we finally have great, local strawberries.
    Oui, Chef recently posted..Fried Brussels Sprouts with Curried Sriracha AioliMy Profile