Dutch baby topped with strawberries and sweetened ricotta cheese for brunch!
A Dutch baby, also known as a German pancake, is a form of sweet popovers typically served for breakfast. They’re easy to make, great fun with kids – and might be the perfect Easter morning breakfast.
Just mix up some eggy batter, pour into a buttered hot skillet, and bake in a super-hot oven. That’s it. You’re almost done. Just be sure to turn on the oven light to catch the show.
After several minutes, the edges will begin to lift. Tentatively at first. Then suddenly with confidence as steam trapped in the eggs begins to expand. The bowl shape may hold for a couple of minutes after coming out of the oven, but as the steam cools and dissipates, the sides begin to droop, and then slump inward.
Now all you need do is throw some sliced strawberries on top with a smear of sweetened ricotta cheese, or drizzle with a pure maple or fruit syrup. Although, if you’re aiming for more restraint, just sift a little confectioners sugar over the top.
A Dutch baby is best served warm. If you’re the precise type, slice it up in neat little wedges, and lift onto individual plates. If you prefer family-style eating, just put the skillet in the middle of the table. Tear off a large strip, wrap around a strawberry or two, and dip into sweetened ricotta. Have a second or third Dutch baby baking in the oven while you devour the first.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup well-drained ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch kosher salt
- 2 pints strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Whip together all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE BUTTER in a medium bowl.
- Place the butter in a 9" or 10" ovenproof skillet, and slide into the oven to completely melt. Remove and pour the batter into the skillet. Return to the skillet to the oven for 15 minutes or until the pancake is lightly browned, and the sides tower over the base.
- Whisk together all of the Topping ingredients. Slice the strawberries.
- Serve the Dutch babies with strawberries and the Sweetened Ricotta Topping.