Instructions on how to cook chickpeas in the slow-cooker – my new favorite way of cooking any legume.

slow-cooker chickpeas

Have you seen the commercials for direcTV? I’m talking about the ones with far-fetched hypothetical scenarios that lead to misfortunes as a result of cable TV service outage. How we decided to remodel our kitchen is like one of those stories. Here’s how it goes:

“When your husband can’t get ice out of the freezer for a cold drink in the 100-year-old house that you just bought, he decides to get a new refrigerator.

When the refrigerator arrives in the delivery truck, we learn the counter it must get past to get into the kitchen isn’t code compliant, as it’s too long.

When the risk of turning the refrigerator on it’s side to pass over the non-compliant counter to get it into the kitchen is to lose all warranties, the delivery men leave with the refrigerator.

When all hope for ice cubes is driven away, the husband begins to plan to take out the non-compliant counter.

When he begins drawing ideas for taking out the non-compliant counter, suddenly you’re designing a counter-height dining table with cabinets underneath it to replace the non-compliant counter, which eliminates the need (and space) for the dining room set the wife loves.

So, if you don’t want to ending up selling a dining room table you love, make sure you buy a house that has a freezer that makes ice for cold drinks.”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited over the new kitchen, really really excited, and I can’t wait to see the new table island, but it does seem silly at times to realize we’re doing all this to get ice cubes.

So the remodel starts next Tuesday, and my slow cooker is about to become my new best friend. It will take a few weeks to get the new floor, countertop, cabinets, appliances, sink, lighting and counter-height table in. Someday I’ll use the calculator function on my iPhone to see what the payback is as measured by bags of ice.

In anticipation of a month of slow cooker dinners, I started experimenting with cooking beans. And I’ve gotta tell you, it’s now the ONLY way I cook dried beans. As a note: chickpeas are loaded with protein, and are generally my “go-to” bean, so these directions (for now) are specific to them.

General Cooking Tips

• Cook times is dependent on the type, size, and age of bean, and slow-cookers vary. I cut a couple of beans in half to check for doneness.
  • I never, ever remember to pre-soak my beans. If you have a better memory, and want to shorten the cook time, cover the beans with a couple of inches of water in a heavy pot for an overnight pre-soak.
  • If you forget to do a pre-soak, but still want to shorten the cook time, simmer the beans for 10 minutes, drain, and add to the slow cooker with fresh broth. I recommend heating the broth.
  • A toxin called phytohaemagglutinin, also known as kidney bean lectin, is found in many beans – and is particularly high in kidney beans. In fact, ingesting just a few raw, or improperly cooked, kidney beans can make you very, very sick. Slow cookers don’t heat the beans to a high enough temperature to rid them of the toxin, and in fact can make it worse. Other beans, including white kidney beans, broad beans and lima beans, contain the same toxin in smaller but still dangerous amounts. This is easily solved by boiling them for 10 minutes, draining, and then cook in fresh broth or water in the slow cooker.
  • I’m in the don’t salt while cooking camp. I only add salt when the beans are completely cooked.
  • For other ways of cooking chickpeas, go here.

Slow-Cooker Chickpeas

Serves: about 3 cups cooked chickpeas

A great way to cook chickpeas is in the slow-cooker. No worries about water boiling away, and the beans are much less inclined to split apart. You'll get beautiful cooked chickpeas every time.
  • 1 cup dried chickpeas
  • 32 ounces vegetable broth
  • ½ onion, peeled but otherwise left whole
  • 1 dried pepper (optional)
  1. If you haven't pre-soaked the chickpeas overnight, place them in a heavy bottomed sauce pot and cover them with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and pour the chickpeas into the slow-cooker.
  2. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil on the stove and pour over the chickpeas in the slow-cooker. Add the onion and dried pepper, if using. Add enough water to make sure the chickpeas are covered by a couple of inches of liquid. Cover and cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours or until tender.
  3. Drain. Excess liquid can be either discarded or saved as a substitute for vegetable broth in other recipes. Discard the onion and dried pepper.

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Slow-Cooker Chickpeas” Subscribe

1. Myles March 6, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

I am so looking forward to a month of slow-cooked pork and beans, provided of course that Susan will allow pork to sneak into her slow cooker. Oh, well, good for the heart, I guess, and the more you eat….
    C.Max

2. laurasmess March 7, 2014 at 12:03 am #

I’ve always been a bit put off by cooking times for dried legumes.. I have to admit that I’ve bought canned chickpeas for convenience on many occasions! I do always feel that it’s worth cooking legumes from scratch though. They’re so much tastier :) This slow cooking method sounds fantastic! And when preparing chickpeas ahead… slow cooking them whilst doing other things… there’s not a whole lot of frustration whilst waiting for them to cook! Yay. Love this recipe Susan. Yum! x
    laurasmess recently posted..Freekeh and Herb Salad with Hot-Smoked Salmon, Pomegranate and FetaMy Profile

3. cheri March 7, 2014 at 10:16 am #

What a funny story, don’t get me wrong, I feel for you but your story has so many humorous parts to it. Will have to start cooking beans in a crock pot, sure makes since. When all is said and done you probably don’t want to calculate the cost of the bags of ice, too painful.
    cheri recently posted..Roasted Asparagus with Fried Egg, Prosciutto and Crispy Gremolata CrumbsMy Profile

4. Lynda - TasteFood March 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

Good luck with the remodel. Can’t wait to see the results!
    Lynda – TasteFood recently posted..Shrimp and Tabbouleh SaladMy Profile

5. Hannah March 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

I’m loving my slow cooker and making chick peas in it is brilliant. Good luck with your remodel! Can’t wait to hear about it. :)
    Hannah recently posted..One Spice, Two SpiceMy Profile

6. apuginthekitchen March 8, 2014 at 7:39 am #

Good luck with the re model, hope to see some before and after posts.
    I have to admit I usually buy my beans canned, I don’t have a slow cooker but have been meaning to buy one for the longest, I love your recipe, it’s simple and healthful and one thing I love about chickpeas is how they are not just versatile but they hold their shape and texture when cooked, Love using them in salads as well as hummus!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Genoise Or Sponge Cake- Another recipeMy Profile

7. lapadia March 8, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Slow cooking dry beans = brilliant, I agree! Good luck with your Kitchen make over, love reading your story :)

8. carol March 10, 2014 at 4:17 am #

Don’t know if good or bad, but middle eastern families add bi-cardonate soda to the water when soaking overnight, rinse well the next day and the boiling process is shortened dramatically. worth trying

9. matt June 18, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

you may have worked it out already, but the trick to dealing with the foam that comes off beans is too add half or a whole onion chopped, something in the onion stops the foam from boiling over and messing up the oven top.

p.s i always soak my beans

share it round

cheers

matt

10. Matthew December 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Don’t cook kidney beans, white beans, or broad beans this way or you will poison yourself! They have a toxin that needs to be deactivated by at least 10 minutes of vigorous boiling. People have gotten seriously ill from eating slow cooked kidney beans. http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 24, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

You’re right, Matthew! I’ll add that warning. I’ve cooked navy beans like this, and black beans and pintos. But kidney beans harbor the highest levels of the toxin phytohaemagglutinin, also called kidney bean lectin. A slow cooker just can’t get them hot enough, and in fact can make it worse. I’ll add that note – thanks so much for drawing it to my attention!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Lemon Roasted Fennel with Olives and BreadcrumbsMy Profile