vegetarian snack, appetizer, sweet potato skins with cheese and red onions, The Wimpy Vegetarian

I get interested in all the football hoopla when my home team does really, really well. And just to qualify that statement, well enough to go to the Super Bowl. Yes, I’m one of those fans. Kind of like the sports equivalent to people who go to church only on Easter and Christmas.

I can go years without watching a game, or even thinking much about it all, but once my boys head to the Divisional Playoffs, I tune in as if I’d been there all along, tossing around football lingo I don’t begin to understand.

It’s not long before my near total ignorance is revealed. Like the time I asked why on earth some guy, clearly yelling at the top of his lungs in the stands, was waving what looked to be a white picket fence in front of him. I made no sense to me. My stepson, Kevin, rolled his eyes and said, “defense”. OK, I didn’t actually see him roll his eyes, but I’m still sure it happened even if he was only thinking it.

It’s surprising I don’t understand the game better. Both of my parents were huge fans, avidly watching multiple television sets showing different games every weekend (waaaaay before DVR or this thing Kevin has called RedZone that switches your TV to any game that gets within the 20 yard line.) To this day, I still don’t know much more than the object of the game, and (now) that waving a white picket fence in the stands means you’re rooting for the defense, but I love the sound of a game playing in the background – probably something from my childhood. And I love the parties and food that go with it. That’s something I do know about.

Parties mean wine. Gallo Family Vineyards wine. Their Cabernet Sauvignon is one of my favorites that I posted about here, but for game day I went with something else from their 16 different wines to go with my spicy sweet potato skins. I tried a couple of their wines before landing on the Merlot with its cherry and plum flavors blended with a hint of oak. It’s the perfect combination with something a little spicy.

If you need to stock up for your game day party, check out this handy store locater to find the store closest to you. If you want to keep up with Gallo programs and wine happenings, go follow them on their social channels:

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

Instagram

And now for the recipe, but first you’ve got to tell me who you’re rooting for. My boys (the Niners) lost to the Seahawks last weekend, so I’m not sure who I’ll be rooting for. But I’m thinking about making a sign of a white picket fence to wave around, or at least use for serving these sweet potato skins.

For the Vegetarian-Omnivore Table

Bacon is the obvious choice here. Just slice a couple of bacon strips into half-inch pieces and fry up, nice and crispy. Sprinkle on top, replacing the pepitas with bacon crumbles.

Sweet Potato Skins with Cheese and Caramelized Onions

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 4 potato skins

There are two camps of thought on potato skins. Some folks scoop out most of the potato, mix it with some yummy stuff, spoon it back into the skins and bake. The other camps says no, no, no, that only a shallow scrape of potato is removed and the potato is topped with all kinds of yummy stuff and baked. I like both. This potato skin falls cleanly in the first camp. Soon, I'll post skins for the second camp! The cook time estimated above assumes the potatoes are baked in the microwave.

Ingredients...

• 2 sweet potatoes (1 cup when mashed)
  • 1 tablespoon creme fraîche
  • 3 tablespoons Humboldt Fog cheese (or your favorite)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped chives
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
  • Toasted pepitas

Directions...

1. Preheat the oven to 400˚ F.
  2. Bake the sweet potatoes in the microwave or conventional oven until soft. Slice in half lengthwise and cool. Scoop out the sweet potato, leaving the skin intact, and leaving enough potato attached to the skin to allow the skin to sit upright on a plate. I scooped out most of the potato for a little more than one cup.
  3. Stir in the creme fraîche, cheese, salt and chives until fairly smooth.
  4. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion and sauté until lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the pepper and stir the onions into the sweet potato mixture.
  5. Spoon the sweet potato mixture back into the skins.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes.
  7. Top with toasted pepitas and serve whole or sliced into one-inch bite-sized sections.

Cooking Notes...

This appetizer is perfect for parties because you can roast the potatoes and make the potato filling ahead. Just store separately and assemble before the party and bake. Serve warm, fresh from the oven.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Now see what everyone else is bringing to the party!

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Tags: ,

50 Responses to “Football, Sweet Potato Skins, and Gallo Wine – #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Renee January 26, 2014 at 4:16 am #

As a major fan of sweet potatoes I can say that this looks just spectacular. I’d rather have this than the usual potato skins.
    Renee recently posted..Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch for #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious January 26, 2014 at 5:14 am #

Been waiting for this recipe! Now my meal is complete!

Defense…I get it!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Great Game Day Grub — Spinach Balls and Pinot Grigio! #SundaySupperMy Profile

3. apuginthekitchen January 26, 2014 at 5:25 am #

I’m not a sports fan, however if a local team makes the cut I may watch the game. Like you I am sorely ignorant, maybe happily ignorant of the game and symbolism. I would not have known what that picket fence meant either. Your potato skins sound delicious! Perfect game day food!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Oats for Breakfast- Two Quick And Easy Recipes That I love!!My Profile

4. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom January 26, 2014 at 5:30 am #

I’d take sweet potatoes over baked potatoes any day…especially topped with all those goodies. Awesome!
    Marjory @ Dinner-Mom recently posted..Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip for #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Katie January 26, 2014 at 5:51 am #

Ummmm so is it bad to admit I don’t have the slightest clue who is actually playing in the game this year? I do care about the food though…haha! These potato skins sound seriously amazing; I do love a sweet potato!!!
    Katie recently posted..Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp for #SundaySupperMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 27, 2014 at 9:39 am #

I usually have no clue who’s playing, and only do this year since SF made it all the way to the division finals (see how I tucked that in so I could sound like what I’m talking about?). Earlier this year I had no idea the World Series was even being played, let alone who was in the finals.
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Maple-Tangerine Sour Cream Pound Cake: Secret Recipe ClubMy Profile

6. Liz January 26, 2014 at 6:11 am #

I love this healthier twist on potato skins!! I’d be going back for seconds, Susan! YUM!

7. Amy Kim January 26, 2014 at 6:19 am #

I love this and Humboldt Fog is one of my favorite cheeses!
    Amy Kim recently posted..Korean-style Clams #SundaySupperMy Profile

8. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom January 26, 2014 at 6:50 am #

I love that you made SWEET potato skins! We will be a divided household on Super Bowl Sunday. . we moved here to Madison from Seattle so you’d think my husband would be rooting for the Seahawks but my hubby is a huge Peyton Manning fan so he’s all for Denver! We’ll see!!!
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce for a Gallo #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Shannon January 26, 2014 at 7:32 am #

Great twist on a classic. I love it! Carmelites onions and sweet potatoes are an awesome combination!

10. Family Foodie January 26, 2014 at 9:09 am #

I love sweet potatoes and can’t wait to try this gorgeous recipe!

11. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips January 26, 2014 at 9:14 am #

I could just devour these!!!
    Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted..Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” for #SundaySupper with @GalloFamilyMy Profile

12. Carnivorous Maximus January 26, 2014 at 10:54 am #

Whatever you do, do not mention to those watching the game that sweet potato skins aren’t just tasty, they are also healthy.

13. DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts January 26, 2014 at 10:56 am #

Yep, I’ve been a ‘Niners fan for 30+ years. Very creative to use sweet potatoes.
    DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts recently posted..Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings for a Game Day Entertaining #SundaySupper with Gallo Family VineyardsMy Profile

14. Cindys Recipes and Writings January 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

Sweet potato skins sound wonderful for Game Day! Nice twist on a classic!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Honey Ham Barbecue for Game Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

15. Carla January 26, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

Oh I have some leftover sweet potato. Maybe I’ll make these!

16. Shaina January 26, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

I love sweet potatoes and this is a great version of the classic potato skins app

17. cathy January 26, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

I’m in the scoop it all out camp and enjoy the yummy filling!
    cathy recently posted..Champagne Holiday Toasts and the Breakfast ClubMy Profile

18. Choc Chip Uru January 26, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

I love that it is using kumara this time, delicious idea :D

CCU
    Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Australia Day 2014!!!My Profile

19. Constance Smith (@FoodieArmyWife) January 26, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

I love using read onions – they have such a great flavor, and using sweet potatoes are great idea!
    Constance Smith (@FoodieArmyWife) recently posted..Honey Dijon Glazed Wings for Game Day | #SundaySupperMy Profile

20. Alida January 26, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

3 of my favorites things – sweet potatoes, cheese and caramelized onions – yum!! And a fourth favorite thing – GFV Merlot! :)
    Alida recently posted..Spinach Lasagna Cups #SundaySupperMy Profile

21. Susan January 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

So pretty and yes I bet the addition of bacon makes this even more delicious than it already sounds. Plus I love the pop of color sweet potatoes provides on the table, as opposed to white potatoes.

22. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons January 26, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

These are so beautiful! I’ve never tried Humboldt Fog cheese…what is it like?

23. Mary @ Fit and Fed January 27, 2014 at 12:37 am #

Love the healthier switch from white potatoes to sweet potatoes and the toasted pepitas. I saw that game too, and I’m not a regular football fan either. But as you say, when your home team has a chance to go to the Superbowl, you’re probably going to watch. It was quite a brutal game, don’t think I could be a regular fan because of that, didn’t enjoy seeing all the replays of that poor ’49er’s knee getting blown out. But it certainly was an exciting game. And I will need that game day food since it’s my town’s team that is going to the Superbowl. Though I did see that tickets to the ballet are half off on that afternoon here….
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Salad with Toasted Sunflower Seeds, Avocado, and Cotswold Double Gloucester CheeseMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 27, 2014 at 10:39 am #

Oh my gosh yes, Mary. I really didn’t need to see that guy’s knee twisted in such a painful way and then snapped. Why do they do that? My husband’s an ER doctor and even he winced. Congrats that your team is going to the SB! I like both teams, entirely because I like both cities, so I’ll likely just root for the underdog, whoever that is.

24. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere January 27, 2014 at 5:43 am #

We love sweet potatoes, so this would be a perfect game-day food for us. Nice idea to pair with the Merlot. I would have thought about a white wine with sweet potatoes, but I can see how a deep Merlot would go SO well!
    Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Baked Mac and Cheese BitesMy Profile

25. laurasmess January 27, 2014 at 11:37 pm #

Yumm! These look wonderful Susan! I am in love with sweet potatoes and I get excited about any new recipes with sweet potatoes as the ‘star ingredient’. These skins look divine. Easy to eat and truly delicious! I haven’t heard of Gallo wine but I’ll have to look out for it. Merlot is a gorgeously mellow and delicious drop, great choice :) xx
    laurasmess recently posted..The Moroccan TableMy Profile

26. Rachel @ Bakerita January 30, 2014 at 7:05 am #

For a vast majority of my childhood, right after my parents got divorced, whenever I would stay with my dad all I would eat is TGI Friday’s frozen potato skins. They were my FAVORITE, and before my dad learned a little more about nutrition, those were my go-to meal. To this day, I still love potato skins and they always hold such good memories. Love that these are homemade and with sweet potatoes (so much better than the frozen boxed crap), and they really are perfect Superbowl food!! Yummy :) Pinned!!
    Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted..Secretly Healthy Banana Bread (Gluten Free)My Profile