Sunday breakfast for two: Fluffy frittata packed with summer vegetables.

Corn, Zucchini, and Roasted Tomato Frittata : The Wimpy Vegetarian

You may recall that I was all set to post this recipe about a week ago, and at the last minute couldn’t find where on earth I had put my recipe development notes and final recipe. Crucial details for a food blog, I think we can all agree. I continued to search, and never did find those notes. I’ve decided they were written on the back of some stray piece of paper that has been filed or pitched forever.

So I started over. And bought a notebook that I’m going to try my best to reserve just for recipe notes. Thanks go to all of you who made me feel a lot less stupid, I felt very validated by your comments, and to Cynthia at The Solitary Cook blog for the suggestion of a brightly colored notebook that can fit easily in my purse.

Onto the frittata.

But first, a few words about a frittata pan.

Frittata Pan 1

My husband and I were visiting some friends in Ashland in early February, and one of our hosts made a fabulous frittata with this pan. With Valentines Day on the horizon, and casting about for gift ideas, this became my Valentines gift in what was a win-win. I got a new toy for the kitchen; Myles got a supply of frittatas. You can certainly make frittatas without a frittata pan, people have done this for decades, but I must admit it’s kind of fun flipping around the specially made pan that interlocks.

Frittata Pan 2

All that said, I wondered if this was just a marketing ploy for something that I could gerry-rig myself quite easily with pans I already had. As a little experiment, I cooked the frittata part way in one pan, and placed a similar sized pan on top of it, forming a clam shell. Holding it all together as tightly as possible, I flipped it upside down. Let’s just say I don’t recommend doing this unless you were planning on thoroughly cleaning the top of your stove right at that moment before the egg that has spilled out begins to cook onto the surface with the durability of cement.

Just saying.

I like my frittatas soft on the inside, just like a french omelet. Which makes sense since frittatas are considered a type of omelet. The frittata pan makes this possible. If you don’t have one, I recommend finishing the frittata in the oven, covered, at 325 degrees F until the egg has set up, about 10 minutes, to maintain the soft interior. I also like my frittatas loaded with fresh seasonal vegetables with just enough egg to hold it altogether, and this is a great example of that. If you like a little more egg, and less veggies, it’s easy to adjust that without changing anything else.

Corn, Zucchini and Roasted Tomato Frittata

Serves 4 – 6 people

• 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1/3 cup fresh corn kernels cut from the cob
  • 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4″ thick at the most (about 12 slices)
  • 1 teaspoon dill seed
  • healthy pinch salt
  • few grinds of pepper
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus a little more for topping at the end

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, place the tomato halves on a baking sheet with the cut side facing up. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Melt the butter in the larger of the two frittata pans. Add the onion, corn, and zucchini to the pan and sauté over medium heat until soft, about 12 minutes.

Add the roasted tomatoes, dill seed, salt and pepper and cook an additional two minutes to warm up the dill seed.

Whisk the eggs together and pour into the pan. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the frittata.

Continue to cook until the sides begin to firm up and you can easily lift the sides away from the pan. Keep a close eye on the eggs and once they’re starting to look like the edges of the top of the frittata as are starting to firm up, cover the frittata with the mating pan interlocking them, and quickly flip the frittata. Remove the pan and continue to cook for another couple of minutes.

Warm a serving dish in the microwave or in the oven after the tomatoes are finished roasting. Slide the frittata out into the warm serving dish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Pin It

Tags: , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Corn, Zucchini & Tomato Frittata” Subscribe

1. Norma Chang July 31, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

How did you get your frittata to fit into the white dish so perfectly?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

I used a large, flat, thin spatula to help slide it out of the pan and into the white dish. I smoothed it over a bit with the spatula then before serving. Easier than you’d think to do.

2. Rita Held Cartalano July 31, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Like this one, Susan! Yumm. Did you slide the frittata into that dish, or was the one in the photo baked?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 31, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Thanks Rita! Nope, I slid it into the dish with a side, thin spatula. It slid right in, although I needed to smooth it over just a bit around the edges. Really easy. It’s easier to do the transfer once it’s completely cooked.

3. TasteFood July 31, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

What a wonderful use of all the summer veggies right now!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Thanks Lynda! It’s one of my favorite veggie combinations this time of year :-)

4. Choc Chip Uru July 31, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

Frittata looks absolutely delicious :D
    I love all the vege choices!

5. Sasha August 1, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Looks yummy! And worth waiting for :). But BOTH recipes are going into my file. I just need to figure out where to find poblanos and tomatillos here in the frozen north! I do enough mexican-inspired cooking, I really need to source this stuff.

And as for keeping notes, there’s gotta be an app for that, but I haven’t found quite the right one yet….

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 1, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Ohhhh! An app! There’s gotta be one. That would be a great find. I’m on a mission now. Thanks for the idea. The poblanos can likely be eliminated from the soup without much harm, but the tomatillos are a must. They add a mellow tartness to the soup that really makes the soup work.

6. Green Dragonette August 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Lovely frittatta. I usually finish mine up in the oven or under the grill. Never made one with Dill seeds though-must give that a try!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Definitely finish in the oven when using a regular pan. I did quite a bit of experimenting trying to simplify it. The dill seeds really make the difference in this. It’s a surprising herb flavor that makes it all pop! Hope you give it a try :-)

7. Rachel (teacher-chef.com) August 2, 2012 at 5:51 am #

Love all these fresh veggies (have them all in the house right now). I don’t have fancy pans & think I’ll just end up baking this in a pie dish and get almost the same effect – THANKS for your beautiful photos, greaet write-up, & suggestion for another kitchen goodie I need!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

You’re so welcome, and thanks for stopping by again! A pie dish will work great and just bake in the oven, or a skillet that is oven proof. Then you can start it on the stove and easily move it to the oven :-)

8. themuffinmyth August 2, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Mmmmm, I love frittatas. They are totally one of my favourite meals at any time of day. This combo of veggies looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

9. Hannah August 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

So glad you made this frittata again! I love that you include fresh corn – I’m planning to make it tonight for dinner. I have feta on hand, so may use that instead of mozzarella.
    Hannah recently posted..Grilled Zucchini with Parsley SauceMy Profile

10. Ali October 26, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

I just made this sans dill seeds (I had everything else but these in the pantry). Served it with home made bread and it was such a treat. My husband ate half the frittata! Just lovely! Thanks for sharing :)

11. Tracy July 30, 2014 at 6:10 am #

Do you have calories per serving for this dish?

Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 29 Amazing Zucchini Recipes for Summer - July 29, 2014

[…] into this breakfast or brunch recipe that’s filled with summer […]