Quinoa Potato Cakes & Mustard-Yogurt Sauce

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

Veggie burger of quinoa, potatoes, pumpkin seed meal and spinach, topped with a mustard-yogurt sauce.

Quinoa - Potato Cakes Florentine

A couple of days ago, I posted about the newest addition to my evolving pantry – pumpkin seed meal; and promised to post this recipe that uses it in place of traditional wheat-based breadcrumbs. Making this simple change is such an easy way to make something just a little healthier, and natural. A baby step, so to speak.

In truth, revolutionary changes I try to take on are less than successful – one of the many reasons my New Year’s Resolutions last about as long as a glass of champagne. I do much better with the gradual, evolutionary change of baby steps. It feels more natural, and organic with the rhythms of my life, while I take the time to slowly absorb the aspects of whatever I’m taking on to change. And time to discover things I can do to support the change I’m seeking.

It’s why we get engaged before getting married. We need to sit with that level of commitment we’re making to someone, with whom we will be sharing a life and possibly creating a family. We need time to absorb, and savor, the huge changes that are on the way.

So if you’re new to using pumpkin seed meal, this recipe is a great baby step for you to take while you think of other uses that are more dramatic.

Quinoa Potato Cakes Florentine with Mustard Yogurt Sauce

• 1 egg, whisked
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed meal
  • Olive oil

Mustard Yogurt Sauce

• 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • Squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pinch cayenne (optional)

Quinoa Potato Cakes Florentine

Spoon the baked potato out of the skins. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until the egg is completely incorporated.

Form small potato cakes.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté the potato cakes until lightly browned, about 4 minutes per side. Serve over a salad, topped with the Mustard Yogurt Sauce.

Mustard Yogurt Sauce

Whip together all the ingredients with a fork until completely blended. Chill until read to serve.

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

acorn squash stuffed featured
Fig and Maple Roasted Butternut Squash with Quinoa, Apple, and Fig Stuffing
Lightened Maple Carrot Flan
Broccoli, Cheese, Quinoa Casserol featured
Pumpkin Cappuccino Soup
Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage
Apple-Sweet Potato Panzanella 800X533
Mex stuffed sweet potatoes 800X533
hot buttered rum apple pie
double crusted apple galette 800X533
Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533

• says

Thanks Norma! I find that it brings a nice hint of caramelized fruit to the cakes that I really like. I do this with a lot of other dishes too – especially since we’re still in citrus season.

1. says

Thanks Suzanne! Chickpea flour could be a little fine (see my response to Liz’s question. I’d go with breadcrumbs to be sure. I hope you try these little guys. They’re really, really good.

• says

I don’t, but you ask a really good question. I’ll post a great site to use for this. You insert the ingredients and ingredient amounts, hit the enter button and presto! You have all the nutritional information you could want. I’ve thought about doing it for all my recipes, but is a time consuming to do it every time. But I might reconsider that now.

• sandyh says

thanks for finding the nutritional info! what a great website that is ( Self Nutrition Data website)!!! i will have to scout around there for a while!

• says

Great! I’ve searched through a few of them over the last few years, and I tend to like this one the best. I think they do a pretty good job on both a detail level and summarization. And they frequently update it for information. I’d put all my recipes through it but it’s a pretty laborious process. I’m always looking for good sites like this if you run into any others too.

• Joni says

Thanks for replying…I’ll be sure to try it with sweet potatoes since my daughter prefers them over russets.

• says

And frankly sweet potatoes are healthier. The yogurt sauce feels like it could still work, but I’d consider maybe a pinch of nutmeg in it instead of the cayenne. And maybe a little orange zest. I’m going to have to try these with sweet potatoes next :-) Would love to hear how they work for you.

2. Sam says

How about almond flour? That’s a similar (ish) texture to bread crumbs and I imagine similar to pumpkin seed meal?

• says

Almond flour is very similar in texture to the pumpkin seed meal, and is a great suggestion. We unfortunately are a nut-free family here with allergies, but I think it would work very well!

3. Colleen says

Hi, looks delicious — could you suggest something in place of the egg? Or perhaps try it without? Thanks!

• says

The egg is the glue that holds them together, and it provides some moisture. It’s not so important in eating them, but in the saute/fry process, you don’t want them falling apart as you flip them. So I would suggest either 1) eliminating the egg, browning them on either side quickly in a saute pan, then transferring them to a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F; or 2) use a vegan egg substitute. Common substitutes are 1/4 cup applesauce, soy yogurt, or silken tofu; or 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 2 -3 tablespoons warm water. Among these choices, the applesauce might be my last choice unless I change out the white potatoes for sweet potatoes. I haven’t actually made them this way, but it feels like to me that the other choices would work very well with the white potatoes. Or you could try it without the egg altogether and see what happens :-).

• says

I definitely think they could be baked. I haven’t done them this way I admit, and you might want to brown them first with a quick 1 – 2 minute saute on each side. Otherwise bake them at 400 degree F to get a good browning. You’ll notice I recommended 350 degree F oven to Colleen above. I recommended a lower temperature to her because she would be eliminating the egg that provides some moisture. If you keep the egg in, I’d move the heat up to 400.

4. says

The consistency should not be too dry or crumbly. There should be some good moisture from the egg and from the steam of the cooked quinoa and potato. The egg and the potato should hold the patties together pretty well. I did not chop the spinach – it wilted from the warmth of the potato and cooked quinoa so that chopping wasn’t needed. Were your ingredients at room temperature by any chance?
    The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..#SundaySupper #CookForJulia: Pissaladiére Niçoise – Vegetarian Style My Profile

5. says

These look absolutely amazing! Any way to combine quinoa and spinach is a win in my book. Two powerhouse ingredients – in a dish that would be perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I love it!

I’m hosting a Quinoa link up party on my site, Queen of Quinoa, and would love for you to enter this recipe if you’d like :)

The event is called Thank Goodness It’s Quinoa (TGIQ) and is hosted bi-weekly. You can visit this weekend’s here:

Hope to see you there! And thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!

6. says

Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I
    think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.
    disaster video recently posted..disaster videoMy Profile

7. says

Such games indirectly teach children about aspects of
    life on earth. People of aall ages love to explore and play games, whether it’s online or on mobile phones.
    Examples of some traditional games include basket ball, hockey, football, cricket etc.
    Juegos One recently posted..Juegos OneMy Profile

8. says

I was suggested this blog by way of my cousin. I
    am no longer sure whether this put up is written through him as no one else understand
    such special about my difficulty. You are wonderful!
    Christy recently posted..ChristyMy Profile

9. says

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long
    as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My website is
    in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would really benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Beatrice recently posted..BeatriceMy Profile

1. […] also really looking forward to trying this kale and quinoa bake from A Cambridge Story and these quinoa potato cakes florentine with mustard-yogurt sauce from the Wimpy Vegetarian. I’ve got plenty of quinoa from the bulk section, so let me know what your favorite quinoa […]