Delicious tart of kale, caramelized onions, cauliflower and roasted tomatoes in a cheddar cheese crust.

vegetable tart with kale in a cheddar crust

I think we’re fitting the rain of one season into one month here in the Bay Area. To be fair, it’s not that we’re getting a lot of hard, driving, flooding rain. It’s more drizzle, light rain, heavy raindrops falling from overladen leaves kind of weather. And we had such a dry winter until now, it doesn’t feel PC to complain.

The kale in my garden is just thrilled.

kale in my garden

This is the best time of year for kale. Lots of young, sweeter leaves to pick. Unfortunately, I find that the central stem, which is uber-tough, needs to be removed before cooking  – even with the younger leaves.

kale and cauliflower tart with a cheddar crust

I’ve been playing with a kale tart for months now and got a few versions I liked, but they were all heavy in fat from all the ricotta, parmesan, or goat cheese I was adding. I eliminated most of the cheese from the tart filling, added some to the tart shell, and added squash and apples to the filling. Great idea, but it didn’t quite work. I tried adding sausage, like this great one from My Pantry Shelf. I loved it, but wanted to go vegetarian with this. Back to the drawing board. And then I landed on this combination that was so good, my husband and I argued over who deserved the last piece more. We ultimately split it right down the middle. This will be my “go-to” kale tart for a long time to come.

Cook’s Notes

Go here to see my step-by-step instructions with photos for making a fool-proof crust.

The ratio of ounces to cups that I use is 4.5 ounces = 1 cup of flour.

The Cheddar Crust Recipe, below, makes two tart or pie crusts. Or you can use one-half of the recipe for a crust, and the other half for cheddar crackers. For crackers, just roll out the crust and use a pizza wheel or sharp knife to slice the dough into the shape of crackers you want. Lightly salt and bake at 375° F for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and puffed.

Kale and Cauliflower Tart with a Cheddar Crust

Serves 4 – 6

Cheddar Crust

• 10 ounces all-purpose flour
  • 8 ounces unsalted butter, very cold, sliced into 1/4″ sections
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
  • 1 1/2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons ice water, or more for the dough to come together

Tart Filling

• 1 cauliflower, with florets separated
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil, separated
  • sprinkling of salt, pepper and ground cayenne
  • 1 1/2 red onions, peeled, quartered, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 4 cups, packed, sliced kale with the central stem removed
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice, roughly 1/2 orange
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese

Cheddar Crust

Place the flour, salt, cayenne and cheddar cheese into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to distribute all the ingredients into the flour.

Add the butter all at once and pulse about 10 times until the butter is the size of small peas. Add the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water and pulse a few times. Test the dough by pinching it. If it sticks together well when pinched, you’ve added enough water. If not, add additional water. For me in making this crust, it took three tablespoons, but sometimes it’s taken four.

Dump the dough mixture, including loose flour, onto a work area. Fraisage, or smear the dough with the palm of one hand. Do this three times. This helps to create the layers of a buttery crust. See photos and a more detailed explanation in my post on making a fool-proof crust, also found in my Pantry Section of the this blog.

Form into two disks of equal size (this crust recipe is enough for two tarts or pies). Wrap in wax paper or plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Roll out to 1/8″ thickness between two pieces of wax paper. Place in a tart shell or pie plate. Chill until you’re ready to bake.

Tart Filling

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Toss the cauliflower florets in 1 tablespoon olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and roast until tender (15-20 minutes). Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 375° F.

Slice tomatoes in thick slices, horizontally. Toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Place on the baking sheet with a new piece of parchment paper and roast until slightly dried and puckered, about 20 minutes. Set aside.

Add the final tablespoon to a heavy sauté pan with the butter over medium heat. Add the red onions and sauté until very limp. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook until caramelized, stirring periodically. This will take around 40 minutes, and is well worth the extra time to do. Remove onions and set aside. Keep the sauté pan over medium-low heat.

Add the orange juice to the sauté pan, and scrape up the bits of caramelized onion. Add the kale, and a light sprinkling of cayenne, salt and pepper. When the kale becomes limp, add the onions and cauliflower; toss to combine.

Keep the oven at 375° F. Remove the unbaked shell from the refrigerator, and place it on a baking sheet. Fill the shell with the kale mixture. Sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on top. Arrange the tomatoes on top of the cheese, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is a golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve warm.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Kale – Cauliflower Tart in a Cheddar Crust” Subscribe

1. Laura @ The Art of Cooking Real Food March 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

I so can’t wait to make this! It’s going on the menu for this upcoming week. Gorgeous!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

It’s honestly the best thing I’ve made lately. I think you’ll really like it. I’d love to hear how it goes!

2. Suzanne March 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Beautiful tart and I love the kale and cauliflower combination. The cheddar crust is a stroke of genius. Your Kale looks fantastic.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Thanks Suzanne!! Hope you’re having a great, relaxing weekend. I’m harvesting more kale tomorrow, so there might be a rush of kale recipes….:-)

3. Lynda - TasteFood March 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Beautiful tart and photo, Susan. This is perfect for the rain today.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Thanks so much Lynda!! And yes, it’s the perfect dinner for a rainy evening. Hope you’re having a great weekend.

4. LiztheChef March 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

If only I had crust-making skills – have all the stuff in my kitchen to make this. Such a perfect “Susan” recipe !!! Ok, maybe I will be brave.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

You can totally do it, Liz!! Next time we get together, we’ll make crusts :-) It’s especially easy if you have wax paper like in the photos.

5. Renee March 25, 2012 at 5:33 am #

This looks so good. I love cauliflower and kale. Plus the cheddar crust – yummy!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks Renee! I’m making it again tonight, it was such a hit here. I hope you have a chance to try it :-)

6. Simone@howtocook-easyrecipes.com March 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

What a lovely looking tart. I’m not a big fan of kale, but I think I will give this a go. Lovely pictures.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks so much Simone! And welcome to my blog. My husband is lukewarm at best when it comes to kale, but this is one recipe he loved. I hope you have a chance to try it!

7. Rosemary March 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

This is definitely a recipe to try! Great photo, I want a piece right now! Wish I had kale in my garden. I just finished eating your Endive and Apple soup (I added leeks because I have so many from my CSA) — yummy!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks Rosemary! I’m really excited you tried the endive and apple soup – it’s a little off the beaten path with the apple in it, but it’s so good. I’d love to know what you think of the kale tart if you make it. Happy Sunday to you and your family!

8. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche March 27, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Just a quick message to say that I’m giving you the Versatila Blogger award – just my way of showing that I read (and love!) your blog :) Check out my blog if you want more information – http://www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com

Also, this tart looks fantastic. Anything covered in cheese is good in my book :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Thanks so much Becca!!! I’m really excited that you’re enjoying my blog so much that you thought of me for an award! I’ll definitely hop over to your blog!!

9. molly oneill March 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

This is so fabulous.
    if you want a massaged recipe, there is a very good one on OBT from last January or febrauary. remind me and I’ll try to send link during class. m

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

Thanks so much Molly!! And thanks for stopping by. I’ll definitely remind you on Thursday about the massaged one. In the meantime I’ll try to find it on your site. I’m always looking for good kale recipes. I have a massaged salad I do, and think it’s a great, great technique with kale. Talk to you on Thursday!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Oh! and in case you see this comment, I’m still working on that piece for you. It’s very, very close now :-). Thanks so much for your help!!

10. lapadia March 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Oh!! What a beautiful and delicious tart and I love the cheddar crust, must try it soon. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe. Love them all with your stories, too :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Oh this is so your kind of recipe Linda!! You would love it. And I’m sure you would have some wonderful ways to change it up too. Thanks so much for your comments – really appreciate them!

11. Karen @ My Pantry Shelf March 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Susan,
    Your tart looks delicious. Kale, cauliflower, and cheddar sound like a pleasing combination. I think my family would love it. It is on the list. Thank you for the link!

Karen

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 27, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks Karen, I love your tart too!! When I want sausage with my kale, your tart is at the top of my list :-)

12. Hannah March 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

What a stunning tart, Susan! Kale and cauliflower are huge favorites in my house so I know we will love every delicious bite.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Thanks so much Hannah! I think you’d really like it. It really feels like your kind of dish to me :-)

13. Ian K. March 5, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

I see that the crust recipe makes two tart crusts. Does the filling recipe make enough for two tarts as well?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 7, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

I sent you back an email, but wanted to respond her as well. First, thanks so much for wanting to make this. We love this tart. The crust recipe makes two crusts, as you mention, but the filling makes one tart. The extra crust provides either an extra crust when you want to make it again (it will keep in the freezer for a couple of months), or a margin of error if needed when making the first tart. I hope you like it!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Adzuki Beans with Miso and Chopped KaleMy Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What Food Writers are Reading | Cook 'n' Scribble - March 28, 2012

[...] me almost happy that Saturday’s 80 degree sun dipped to something-or-other BELOW last night. Here’s dinner! [...]

2. Spicy Squash Boats With Fruity Quinoa Pilaf | The Wimpy Vegetarian - December 11, 2012

[...]   Kale and Cauliflower Tart in a Cheddar Crust [...]