Satisfying, healthy soup bursting with autumn flavors of sweet potatoes and apple cider.
We're suddenly launching into autumn here in California. We've swung from (really) hot sunny days to changing skies, and a bite in the air. It's a subtle change, but one that ushers in the familiar changes, sights, and smells of fall. Autumn is my favorite season of the year, a pause after all the high energy go-go days of the summer, that starts to turn my thoughts back to home.
Autumn is a ramp up to Christmas and celebrates family and friends-that-are-like-family with Halloween and Thanksgiving as it's ‘high' holidays. A time to exhale, pick up the threads of the patterns of life, and gather at the dinner table again. Here are a few things I always associate with the autumn. What are some of yours?
Changing skies bringing new gray clouds
Crisp evenings with leftover warmth from the day
Huge glowing harvest moons close to the horizon
Hayrides sitting on bales of hay
Brightly colored maples and aspens
Raking leaves into big piles to jump into
Ironing red maple leaves between wax paper
Squash! Piles of pumpkins, butternut, kabocha, acorn, delicata waiting to be roasted
Back to school
Soft corduroys with heavy socks
Warm comfort food
Cozy dinners with family and friends
And the color orange
This soup is one I started making last year when I started experimenting with my Apple Cider Syrup. It went through a number of versions until I finally landed on this one. By the time I had it to my liking, autumn was done, winter half over. So I've been keeping it in the back of my mind just waiting for autumn to roll around again. It's super easy, and very healthy with all the sweet potatoes.
Cider Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- 5 sweet potatoes about 4 1/2 cups once it's baked
- 6 tablespoons 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 red onion finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 40 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons [url]Apple Cider Syrup ∞http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/2012/10/apple-cider-syrup/[/url]
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the microwave oven or via your favorite baking method. Allow to cool, peel and chop. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the red onion and thyme and sauté until the onions are very soft.
- Add the orange juice, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the veggie broth and bring back to a simmer. Add the potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree the soup using an immersible blender, food processor, or blender. If using a food processor or blender, return the soup to the pot and add the Apple Cider Syrup and salt to taste.
- Serve hot.