Four ingredients transform into long, crisp, cheesy puffed sticks. This hand-held appetizer is perfect for easy mingling at parties, and is always a hit.
For a party, make these cheese straws up to the baking step, cover and chill. When you're ready to serve them, just heat up the oven and bake them off.Jump to Recipe
Hand-held party appetizers are always a great thing to have in your back pocket. I like to have Roasted Chickpeas, an assortment of olives, cheese and crackers laid out. When guests first arrive, they want to visit with others who've arrived, and no one wants to bother with an appetizer that needs a plate and a fork.
These classic cheese straws made with easy puff pastry and cheese fit the bill. What makes this puff pastry easy? This recipe uses frozen puff pastry.
❤️ Why you'll love this cheese straws recipe
- Everyone will LOVE them.
- They're the perfect hand-held appetizer while everyone mingles with a cocktail.
- Put them all together, arrange on a baking sheet, and bake off just before guests arrive.
🧅 Ingredients + Notes
- Frozen puff pastry - Dufours is the best IMO, but Pepperidge Farm is fine, and it's vegan.
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Cayenne pepper
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to products and foods I use in my kitchen. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. To view my entire storefront of recommended kitchen tools and equipment, check out my shop on Amazon.
🔪 Recommended Equipment
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Pastry wheel or pizza cutter
👩🍳 Preparation Tips
- Chilling the dough before baking helps them to hold their shape.
- When twisting the puff pastry, it's inevitable that the dough will stretch a bit, but try not to stretch it very much.
📇 More Puff Pastry Appetizers
Puff Pastry Spicy Cheese Straws (Recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Thaw the frozen puff pastry.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the thawed pastry dough sheet into a 12-inch square. Using a pastry brush, brush half of the oil over its top surface.
- Sprinkle half of both cheeses, and half of both the salt and cayenne over half of the pastry sheet. Fold the other half of the pastry sheet over the part covered in cheese. Roll the dough again 10 – 12 times, keeping a neat rectangular shape.
- Brush the pastry sheet with the remaining oil, and sprinkle the remaining cheese, salt and cayenne evenly over the surface. Lightly flour your fingers, and firmly press the cheese into the dough.
- Using either a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, slice the dough into ½-inch strips. Carefully twist into spirals, being careful not to stretch the dough, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through, or until they turn a golden brown.
- Carefully move the twists to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. These are best eaten the day you make them, as they lose their crispness overnight.