Best way to make grilled peaches coated in ginger and butter, served with dairy-free coconut ice cream, and crumbled ginger cookies.
Have you ever thought that the peaches you had in August tasted completely different from the ones you tried back in May? Maybe you thought it was just the difference between eating a peach at the height of the season and one picked a little too early. You whispered to a friend, “The flavor and texture were so different, they could scarcely be considered the same fruit!” Newsflash – they probably weren't, even though they were both labeled peaches.
I can never resist stone fruit. I love them all, from the sweet flesh of deep red cherries I snack on in the car, to juicy peaches whose sweet goodness runs down my fingers with the first bite. Apricots show up first here in northern California, with the rest rushing in together with a flourish. By July, it's an orgasm of Tuscan colored fruit piled on worn tables under tents at the markets.
All Stone Fruits are Hybrids
My Favorite Grilling Partner
Grilled Peaches with Ginger a la Mode
- 2 ripe peaches get freestone peaches so the pits are easily removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lightly Dried Ginger from Gourmet Garden
- 1 pint Coconut Bliss Ginger Cookie Caramel Ice Cream Non-Dairy and Gluten-Free
- 4 Tate's Bake Shop Gluten-Free Ginger Zinger Cookies
- Fire up the grill on high, and lay down a Cookina Grilling Sheet on the grill.
- Slice the peaches in half, twist, and remove the pits. With freestone peaches, it's really that easy when the peaches are ripe.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, and dip each peach half in butter. Sprinkle the cut surfaces generously with brown sugar and ginger.
- Place the peaches on the Grilling Sheet, with the cut sides facing down. Reduce the heat to medium, close the lid of the grill, and grill for 20 minutes, or until softened.
- Lift the peaches with a spatula, and place in the bottoms of 4 bowls. Top with a scoop of ice cream, and crumble 1 cookie over each bowl.
- Serve immediately while the peaches are warm and the ice cream just starting to melt.