Tomato galette for a moderately easy, kid-friendly dinner from the Simply Vegetarian cookbook.
Earlier this week, I ran another poll on Facebook asking my followers and friends to tell me which recipe they’d rather have right now. The choices were this tomato galette with mozzarella cheese or a vegetarian chili topped with cornbread.
Even though it’s hot outside right now, this one went almost right now the middle, with the votes coming in at …….. Proof that chili and cornbread is a favorite all year round. Since the Tomato Galette had the edge in votes, here’s the recipe from the book.
To order your own book, go here. And here’s the recipe most of you wanted right now!
- 1 frozen store-bought pastry round thawed and formed into a 13-inch round
- 4 - 5 ripe Roma tomatoes slice crosswise 1/4
- 1 firm yellow tomato sliced 1/4
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, and/or oregano
Optional Crust Garnishes
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Position a rack in the center of the oven. Place a pizza stone or baking sheet turnedupside down on the rack while the oven preheats.
- Place the pastry round on a sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Arrange the tomato slices in two circles starting from the middle of the pastry, slightly overlapping the tomatoes. Be sure to leave a minimum 1®ˆ-inch border around the outeredge of the dough. Sprinkle the tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the mozzarella, mayonnaise, herbs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper. Place dollops of the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
- Fold the excess dough over the tomatoes to form a crust border. Optional: baste the top of the crust with the egg white and lightly sprinkle with the poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Transfer the galette on the parchment paper to the preheated pizza stone or baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.