Crunchy winter salad of kale, Napa cabbage, apples, and honey roasted peanuts all dressed in a fabulous Thai peanut butter dressing. This post is part of The Food Network’s #ComfortFoodFeast series on their blog, FNDish……..
Some salads are all about the salad, and the dressing is just along for the ride. But sometimes, the salad is all about the dressing. This is one of those.
The unassuming sauce you see in the jar is a peanut butter dressing, and may look a little drab, but trust me – looks can be deceiving. This party girl bursts with flavors of soy sauce, lime juice, pomegranate molasses, and ginger, and comes together in minutes without much more than a sharp knife, bowl, and whisk.
I would love to take all the credit, or really any of it at all, but it’s modeled on the recipe by a friend of mine who owns a wonderful winery in the Napa Valley way up on Diamond Mountain. Her recipe is on Food52 here. All I added were some little tweaks for my own preferences – a little more peanut butter and garlic, swapped out the warm water for peanut oil, nixed the peppers, and added lime – but Mare did all the heavy lifting.
If you make this, and you really must, make a big batch and throw it in the refrigerator for all kinds of things. Toss in a broccoli salad, use as a marinade for cauliflower (think cauliflower satay), or incorporate into a dip for raw veggies, French fries, or shrimp (for the meat and fish lovers). I could see this as a glaze for salmon too – with just a little brown sugar to get it all to caramelize a bit on the grill.
And, of course, use it to dress this crunchy salad of kale, napa cabbage, fresh mint, apples, and peanuts. Let me know how you like it!
- 4 Tbsp chunky natural peanut butter (I get the kind freshly made in the machine at my market)
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar (I use Marukan)
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced (I use Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic Stir-in-Paste)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced (I use Gourmet Garden Ginger)
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 bunch curly kale, stems removed, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1/ 4cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 apple, cored, quartered, and sliced thinly
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl.
- Toss together all of the salad ingredients.
- Just before serving, toss the salad with ¼ cup of the dressing. Add more to taste by the tablespoon. Any dressing left over can be saved in the refrigerator.
I’m contributing to The Food Network’s blog FNDish today for their very fun theme of Peanut Butter. It’s part of their #ComfortFoodFeast series that will be wrapping up soon as we sweep into Spring. Go check out everyone else’s post below, and then go check out our Pinterest Board for more recipes.
The Lemon Bowl: Peanut Butter Magic Shell
Feed Me Phoebe: Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Peanut Butter Crispy Bars
The Mom 100: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Easy 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Winter Kale, Apple and Mint Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing
Healthy Eats: 5 Healthier Ways to Enjoy Peanut Butter for Dessert
FN Dish: 6 Foods That Belong with Peanut Butter