Wisconsin is synonymous with cheese and is home to the world’s most award-winning cheeses. Approximately 10,000 dairy farms on rolling hills of lush pastureland produce over 21,000 pounds of milk each year, 90% of which is used for making more than 2,800,000,000 pounds of cheese.
As amazing as that is, it’s not just about production numbers. In Wisconsin, it’s a way of life. Many families and facilities have been making cheese for four generations. Wisconsin has more skilled and licensed cheesemakers than any other state, and boasts the only Master Cheesemaker program outside Europe that’s modeled on the rigorous standards of similar programs in Europe. They’ve studied and preserved time-honored traditions to create more than 600 cheese varieties of unsurpassed excellence to meet the demands of increasingly sophisticated consumers.
Today, Sunday Supper is honoring cheeses made from cow’s milk with the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. You can learn more about their cheeses from their web site, which also has a wonderful Cheesecyclopedia®, and by following their Facebook page. And if you’re interested in more recipes with cheese for your family, you’ve come to the right place. Here are some social media sites to go check out and follow!
And for even more ideas on what to do with cheese, go follow our Cheese Pinterest Board!
Spicy Cheese Twists: #SundaySupper
Note: The prep time includes chilling the twists in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the thawed pastry dough sheet into a 12-inch square. Using a pastry brush, brush half of the oil over its top surface.
- Sprinkle half of each the cheese, salt and cayenne over half of the pastry sheet. Fold the other half of the pastry sheet over the part covered in cheese. Roll the dough again 10 – 12 times, keeping the rectangular shape.
- Brush the pastry sheet with the remaining oil, and sprinkle the remaining cheese, salt and cayenne evenly over its surface. Lightly flour your fingers, and firmly press the cheese into the dough.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper (I prefer a silpat for this). Using either a pastry wheel or sharp knife, slice the dough into ½-inch strips. Carefully twist into spirals and place on the baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and bake for 15 minutes, or until they turn a golden brown. I rotate them about halfway through the baking.
- Carefully move the twists to a wire rack to cook. Serve warm or at room temperature. These are best eaten the day you make them, but store any uneaten twists in a ziplock baggie.
- Note: You may find they’re not quite as crisp the second day
This post is sponsored by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
And now take a look at everyone else’s post on….
- Cheese Crispies by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheese Fondue by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Prosciutto Havarti Spinach Bundles by Daily Dish Recipes
Main Dishes with Cheese:
- Cheese Curd Stuffed Meatball Sliders by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesy Crab Stuffed Peppers by FoodieTots
- Cheesy Skillet Lasagna by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Vegetable Enchiladas by Alida’s Kitchen
- Fontina Chorizo Spinach Quiche by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Ham, Blackberry Ricotta, and Fresh Mozzarella Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Korean-style Poutine 2.0 by kimchi MOM
- Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Couscous Salad with Arugula by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pimento Cheese Potato Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Sausage and Burrata Pasta by Family Foodie
Cheese Side Dishes:
- Cheesy Jalapeno and Bacon Potato Au Gratin by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- White Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Cheese Crepes with Brandied Cherry Topping by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Ricotta Cheesecake Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
10 Ideas for Cheese Dip Dippers by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.