Holiday brunch for a crowd (or special breakfast for 2): Crab, shrimp, and asparagus folded into softly scrambled eggs.
We are officially in Holiday mode, with a capital “H”. Festive parties, holiday brunches, and fun dinners are already penciled in the calendar. We even have a Gala in Tahoe this year – our first black-tie-ish dinner in forever. And Kevin, Suzanne, and five of our grandchildren are coming up to ski and snowboard in the New Year. We are lucky. We have so much to look forward to, and we’re excited about the memories we’ll be creating with family and friends over the next month and more.
But this is also a time of year my mind skips back to the Christmases of my youth, and family traditions I looked forward to. One of my favorites was a huge brunch my mom threw, usually just before Christmas. It started when I was in high school, with family friends, since all the kids were around the same age. Following graduation, my friends and I all struck out in a diaspora for new horizons that beckoned, and Christmas was the only time we hit the pause button to head back home. In those college years, mom’s brunches were a time to bring everyone back to the same table again, filled with stories of new lives being created.
She always had a full menu, but the star of mom’s brunches were her Seafood Eggs dish — one of the few recipes I left home with when I moved to Boston for my first grownup job (aka not waitressing at the Mall, or cashiering at a local fast-food joint). The 3” X 5” blue lined card is pretty stained now, but packs the same home-run power it had 30-something years ago, and is perfect served with Gallo Family Vineyards wine.
Gallo has some wonderful limited edition seasonal wines all ready for your parties this year, complete with festive labels and gift tags. Their Holiday White Blend has hints of crisp green apple and sweet caramel – perfect for anyone who loves their Moscato. And their Holiday Red Blend, similar to their Merlot, serves up notes of mixed berries and chocolate. Go to Gallo Family Vineyard’s store locator to find a nearby store, and don’t forget to download a $1 off digital coupon. And be sure to follow GFV on social media to stay up to date on their entire family of wines: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube.
Holiday Crab & Shrimp Scramble | #SundaySupper
Holiday scramble eggs loaded with crab, shrimp and asparagus for brunch for a crowd or special breakfast for two. To increase the decadence, substitute crème fraîche for the milk.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh crabmeat, all shells removed
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 12 skinny asparagus spears, sliced into 1" pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced into 1/4" pieces, white and green parts
- 2 Tbsp Gallo Family Vineyards white holiday wine
- 10 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 squirts of Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly salt and pepper the shrimp and sauté 2 - 3 minutes per side. The shrimp should be loosely curled. Coarsely chop and mix with the crabmeat in a medium bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet and melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and scallions and sauté for 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the wine and continue to cook until the wine has largely evaporated. Add the vegetables to the bowl of seafood.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and sriracha in a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the eggs. When they reach a soft scramble stage, fold in the seafood-vegetable mixture, and cheeses. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes, or until they reach the degree of firmness you prefer. The eggs should be a little creamy from the milk and cheeses.
- Serve warm.
Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
- Holiday Crab & Shrimp Scramble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Donuts by Ruffles & Truffles
- Spiced Apple Monkey Bread with White Wine Caramel by Curious Cuisiniere
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Pastry by Family Foodie
Memorable Main Dishes:
- Baked Swiss Cheese Fondue by Shockingly Delicious
- Curried Turkey Salad by Magnolia Days
- Glazed Ham with Red-eye Gravy by Nik Snacks
- Holiday Braised Short Ribs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Delightful Desserts and Sweets:
- Berry Chocolate Mocha Mousse Dessert by Flavor Mosaic
- Caramel Apple Turnovers by In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate Mousse Cups by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fudgy Chocolate Berry Bundt Cake by Desserts Required
- Italian Wine Doughnut Cookies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Pound Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Chocolate Cookie Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Red Wine Chocolate Truffles by Life Tastes Good
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Wine Caramel Apple Compote by Feed Me, Seymour
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Snowballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.