For your holiday breakfast or brunch meals – Dutch baby pancakes made with eggnog and nutmeg, and topped with cranberry sauce mixed with maple syrup.
The best laid plans.
The original plan was Eggnog Dutch Babies With Spiced Pears. I researched flavors that blended well with eggnog. I read other pancake recipes using eggnog. I even got pears a few days ahead of needing them so they’d be softened. (Well, actually closer to a week before I needed them, and they were at that “Shit! I’d better use these right away!!” point of softness. But the weather’s been gloomy here on the west coast, making it near impossible to get a decent photo, so kept delaying when I’d make these guys. -Food Blogger Woes) ANYway, I finally made them.
But I knew pretty quickly they weren’t going to work out as planned. The batter was thick, and it wasn’t doing it’s usual Flying Nun thing. You know, when the sides start to rise up from the skillet.
It tasted fine. Well, more OK than fine. Barely. It was thick and a little tough. Turns out that because eggnog is so much thicker than milk, you have to thin it with a bit of milk when making Dutch babies. Something I hadn’t picked up on in my research. I also amped up the flavors the second time around. The spiced pears were good, they didn’t offer enough contrasting flavor. I needed something more startling, and luckily had some leftover cranberry sauce in the refrigerator from my latest batch. With a few more tweaks, I got the home run I was looking for.
These little baby is easy enough to whip up for any weekend breakfast, and particularly the holidays. While it’s baking in the oven, make the coffee, set the table, and relax for a few moments.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Eggnog
- 2 Tbsp 2% milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Rum
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, plus more for drizzling over the pancake
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE BUTTER in a medium bowl.
- Place the butter in an ovenproof skillet (I use a cast iron skillet), and slide it in the oven to melt. Once melted, pour in the pancake batter and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Stir together the cranberry sauce and maple syrup in a small pot over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer. Pile onto the pancakes with a healthy glug of maple syrup.
This week on #SundaySupper we’re celebrating libations – code for boozy drinks or food. And what perfect timing as we pack our calendars with fun gatherings to celebrate the holidays. Many thanks to Alice at A Mama, Baby and Shar-Pei in the Kitchen and DB at Crazy Food Stunts for hosting us this week!
- Big Easy Milk Punch by The Weekend Gourmet
- Blue Sparkling Star Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Boozy Iced Spanish Coffee by Nosh My Way
- Campari Mint Spritzer by eating in instead
- Cranberry Moscow Mule by Ruffles & Truffles
- Creamy, Loaded Eggnog by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Malibu Breeze by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Merry Berry Spritz by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Minty Lime Rum by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Pomegranate Panache by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Rhubarb Fool Cocktail by Food Lust People Love
- Southern Pomegranate Sparkler by Noshing With The Nolands
- Sparkling Pomegranate Berry Punch by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Vanilla Bailey’s With A Twist by Momma’s Meals
Savory and Sweet Libational Dishes
- Apple Bourbon Pulled Pork Sliders by Curious Cuisiniere
- Beerberry Pancakes by Brunch with Joy
- Beet Relish by What Smells So Good?
- Belgian Beef Stew with Belgian Ale by Cooking On The Ranch
- Brandied Triple Cheese Ball by Magnolia Days
- Champagne Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornish Game Hens with Sausage Red Wine Sauce over Polenta by The Texan New Yorker
- Craft Beer Jelly by Nik Snacks
- Eggnog Dutch Baby Pancakes with Cranberries by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Hot Buttered Rum Balls by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lentil Soup with Wine Braised Shallots by Pancake Warriors
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs by Cooking Chat
- Amaretto Coconut Biscotti with Amaretto Salted Caramel Drizzle by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Amaretto Cranberry Swirled Cheesecake by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Pears with a Warm Tequila-Citrus Espuma by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Bourbon Cranberry Compote by Pies and Plots
- Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Rum Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Chocolate Stout Beer Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Dumante Frozen Espresso Creams by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Honey Chamomile Hot Toddy Tea Cake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Kahlua Bundt Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red Wine Poached Pears with Ricotta and Balsamic Glaze by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Rum Glazed Cookie Cream Buns by NinjaBaker
- Tiramisu Biscotti by The Redhead Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.