Gathering: an assembly or meeting, especially a social or festive one, or one held for a specific purpose. –Google dictionary
Gathering: a coming together of family and friends to celebrate a special occasion and toast the bonds of friendship with Gallo wine. –The Wimpy Vegetarian
Halloween for me is the (un)official kickoff for the fall gathering season that leads to winter. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza are next, culminating in New Years and a major exhalation onto a sofa with a good book.
I love getting friends together for a Halloween potluck (sans costumes since I can NEVER think of a good costume). Something casual, almost last-minute, but full of fun. Sometimes these are the best parties of all. If you decide to have your own Halloween gathering of friends (with or without costumes), here are some fun entertaining ideas from the folks at Gallo Family Vineyards.
This year, I’m making this mummy calzone. The tomato sauce uses GFV Merlot wine and can be make a week ahead. Just keep it in the refrigerator until you need it, or freeze it for up to 6 months. You can make your own pizza crust, or buy it at your local store. But don’t forget to pick up some Gallo wine using this handy store locator. And here’s a $1-off coupon to take with you!
The folks at GFV have lots of ideas coming up for entertaining during the holidays, so you might want to follow them on social media to keep up to date:
- 1 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes (I highly recommend San Marzano)
- 9 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp Gallo Family Vineyards merlot wine
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 kalamata olives
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-ounce can)
- 2 roasted and peeled red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 1-lb package frozen pizza dough (or make your own)
- Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all of the Sauce ingredients together in a baking pan and stir a few times to mix up a bit. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes. The sauce should be cooked down enough that you can draw a line through the middle with a spoon and the line remains for at least 15 seconds.
- Thaw the pizza dough according to the package directions.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll into balls. Place one ball on a lightly floured work surface and cover the other three.
- Roll out the dough in the shape of a circle to the thickness you prefer. My circle was about 8" in diameter. Place the pizza round on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese down the middle in the shape of a column.
- Spoon ⅓ cup Sauce on top and finish with a light sprinkling for mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- For the mummy bindings, slice the dough into 1" wide strips on either side of the Sauce and cheese.
- Working with one side at a time, wrap the strips over the Sauce and cheese.
- The top strips form the covered head.
- Lightly baste with butter. Cover with plastic. and repeat with the remaining balls of doughs. Always keep the remaining balls covered with plastic.
- Reduce the heat to 375˚F and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Beef Stew with Ghost Dumplings by Momma’s Meals
- Blackened Chicken Legs with Red Beets and Potatoes by Jelly Toast
- Brain Cupcakes with Red Moscato Wine Shooters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Dracula Wine Jelly by Basic N Delicious
- Gallo Family Red Moscato Cocktail by Flour On My Face
- Ghoulishly Good Red Moscato Punch by The Weekend Gourmet
- Halloween Buffalo Ranch Pork Bites by Family Foodie
- Meringue Bones with Raspberry Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mummy Calzone by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Poison Apple Pomegranate Sangria by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Pumpkin Chili by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Moscato Candied Apples by The Messy Baker
- Red Moscato Spider Sangria by Run DMT
- Red Velvet Cake Eye Balls by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Red Wine Caramel and Chocolate Apples by Ruffles & Truffles
- Roasted Garlic Hummus by Alida’s Kitchen
- Smoked Trout Pate Spider Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Bites with Bloody Maria Dipping Sauce by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Witches Blood Risotto by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Zombie Bite Wine Slushies by Feed Me, Seymour
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.