#SundaySupper Post! Zucchini succotash cobbler with corn, yellow beans, and tomatoes, topped with cornbread.
So it turns out today is National Acorn Squash Day. I had no idea there was such a day, did you?
With all due respect to acorn squash, I’m going to cook a bunch of it up, but not right now. I’m just not ready to let go of summer. And once I move onto acorn and its siblings, butternut, kabocha, and pumpkin I’ve turned my back on summer.
So acorn squash, I’ll see you for sure in October.
For this last month, this is still one of my favorite vegetable combinations in life: zucchini, onions, corn, tomatoes, jalapeño, and yellow beans. I put them on pizza, over pasta, and in omelets. This week I put them in a casserole and baked some cornbread on top. So, so good. For one final month.
Summer Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping
- 3 Tbsp mustard butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced (a little less than 2 tablespoons)
- 3 garlic cloves minced (1 tablespoon)
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups yellow beans, trimmed and sliced into 1" pieces
- 2 cups corn kernels (2 ears of corn worth)
- 1/2 cup leek confit
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh dried oregano
- 1 tsp dill seed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped small tomatoes)
- 2 Tbsp halved kalamata olives
Cornbread Biscuit Topping
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Butter an 8" X 10" baking pan.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, and add the onion and jalapeño pepper. Sauté until completely softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the zucchini, yellow beans, corn, leek confit, wine, salt, oregano, and dill seed. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and fold in the cheeses, tomatoes and kalamata olives.
- Using a spatula, scrape the succotash filling into the prepped baking pan. Pour the Cornbread Topping (recipe below) over the top and bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, and melted butter in a small bowl. (Make sure the butter has cooled off a bit to prevent scrambling the eggs!)
- Combine the flours, baking powder, and salt in a second, medium bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until completely mixed in.
In honor of Acorn Squash Day, we’re celebrating squash this week at #SundaySupper. All kinds of squash, thank you very much, because we’re equal opportunity.
Our wonderful hostesses this week are Alice of A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen and Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva. Please join us later today and share some of your favorite ideas for squash of all kinds. And go check out what everyone at #SundaySupper came up with!
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.