#Secret Recipe Club: Vegan summer wrap of quinoa, black beans, hummus, corn, and tomatoes. Perfect for picnics or lunch on the go.

Vegan wrap with quinoa, black beans, hummus, corn, and tomatoes.

It’s time again for our Secret Recipe Club  ’reveal day’. For the uninitiated, the Secret Recipe Club is a group of around 100 food bloggers, who are separated into four smaller blogging groups. Every month, we’re each assigned a blog in our group to look through. We try a few recipes and chose one to post about. But all month long, we keep our assignment a secret until ‘reveal day’. It’s been a lot of fun – and I’ve found some great new blogs to follow and new recipes to add to my rotation.

Secret Recipe Club

I’m always on the hunt for quick vegetarian lunches. I spend a good part of most days developing, cooking, photographing, writing about food, and frankly the last thing I’m interested in is making a big production about making lunch. Instead, I want to quickly throw something together, take it outside to the deck, and relax for a few minutes while I catch up on the local paper, before heading back to work.

As soon as I saw Sarah’s recipe, I knew it would be the perfect solution.

Sarah, who writes the Fantastical Sharing blog, has been the super-organized, fearless leader for our little group in the Secret Recipe Club since I started, and now she runs the whole show. If you ever want anything organized, Sarah should be on your speed dial.  She serves up family friendly food on her blog that you and your kids will love. Like this Taco Twist Bake , Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, and Laughing Cow Spaghetti Pie. And for dessert – I’ve got her Peanut Butter Cup Blondies on my list to make now, as soon as I hit my target weight. It seems like the perfect way to celebrate.

I switched up her fabulous Quinoa and Black Bean Wraps to make them vegan (I swapped the mayo for hummus and nixed the cheese), and took advantage of the fresh tomatoes showing up at the Farmer’s Market. But one thing I didn’t change a bit was her fabulous spicy quinoa. It’s not over-the-top spicy, but sports a bolder personality than I’ve made before, and was fabulous finished off with a squirt of lime juice. This is officially my new quinoa recipe for anything.

And truthfully, I’ve made this dish twice now, and have had it for lunch AND dinner.

Vegan Quinoa and Black Bean Wraps with Hummus: #Secret Recipe Club

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Yield: The quinoa filling makes 4 cups.

This recipe is from Sarah at the Fantastical Sharing blog, which was adapted from the Je Suis Alimentageuse blog.

Ingredients...

• 2/3 c quinoa
  • 1 c vegetable broth
  • 1/2 t paprika
  • 1/2 t chipotle chili powder
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1 t onion powder
  • 1 c corn (from 1 ear of corn)
  • 1 c freshly cooked black beans
  • 1 c cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 T lime juice (1 lime)
  • 1/2 t kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1 T hummus per tortilla
  • Baby spinach leaves
  • Flour tortillas

Directions...

1. I always rinse my quinoa vigorously before cooking it up. To do this, place the quinoa in a bowl with enough water to cover it by about one inch. Rub the quinoa between your palms vigorously in the water. The water should become cloudy from the saponin, a bitter protective coating on the seeds, being rubbed off. Repeat three times and then rinse under running water. I use a fine mesh strainer for this.
  2. Mix together the rinsed quinoa, broth, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You'll know it's done when the seed looks like curly-q's.
  3. Pile the quinoa into a large bowl and stir in the corn, beans, tomatoes and lime juice. Stir in the salt to taste.
  4. Spread the hummus on each tortilla, lightly cover with spinach leaves, and spoon about 1/3 cup of the quinoa mix in a heaped row, slightly off center. Fold one side of the tortilla over the quinoa and roll up fairly tightly. Use a toothpick to hold it closed.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Now go check out everyone else’s!

Tags: , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Vegan Quinoa-Black Bean Wraps & Hummus” Subscribe

1. Becky Winkler July 27, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

I totally agree with you about lunch–it has to be simple or it may not even happen! This wrap looks delicious. Happy reveal day!

2. Sweet as Sugar Cookies July 27, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

I’m like you. I’m always on the looking for a delicious vegetarian recipe and I think I’ve found it with your wraps. They sound so flavorful and healthy and I have no doubt that my family would enjoy them.

3. JJ - 84thand3rd July 27, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

I always have leftover quinoa in the fridge and it often appears as a quick lunch – I’ll have to remember this idea! Lovely SRC choice :)
    JJ – 84thand3rd recently posted..Strawberry & Blood Orange Frozen MargaritaMy Profile

4. Couscous & Consciousness July 28, 2014 at 12:09 am #

This quinoa sounds deliciously tasty, and putting it in a wrap is a great idea for a quick lunch. Love the idea of using hummus too for a vegan alternative.
    Sue
    Couscous & Consciousness recently posted..Chunky Monkey CookiesMy Profile

5. SallyBR July 28, 2014 at 5:04 am #

Super creative recipe, love the use of quinoa!

6. Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm July 28, 2014 at 5:34 am #

What a great Meatless Monday meal. It is definitely going on my to try list. Great choice.

7. Melissa July 28, 2014 at 6:40 am #

I love that there are quinoa in these wraps. They sound absolutely delicious! Excellent pick this month :)
    Melissa recently posted..Creamy Corn and Pepper TaquitosMy Profile

8. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious July 28, 2014 at 9:04 am #

I just whipped up some homemade hummus this morning, so I just wrote this recipe on our menu plan for the week. AWESOME SRC pick!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Grilled or Roasted S’Mores Banana Splits (Secret Recipe Club)My Profile

9. cheri July 28, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Hi Susan, love the wraps, great combination of ingredients. Sounds like the recipe club is a great way to really meet and follow other bloggers, how fun.
    cheri recently posted..Garden To Grill – Salted Fava BeansMy Profile

10. Emily @ Life on Food July 28, 2014 at 9:47 am #

Mexican food is always so good for dinner. I am loving the sound of adding hummus. Great pick!

11. Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel July 28, 2014 at 9:50 am #

These look awesome! I love quinoa in anything but I don’t think I’ve had it in a wrap before. I loved having your blog this month… so much great, healthy food! I made your Moroccan Chickpea Pockets and they were amazing! Even the meatatarian hubby loved them! :)
    Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel recently posted..SRC: Moroccan Chickpea PocketsMy Profile

12. Helene D'Souza July 28, 2014 at 9:51 am #

I am back to Europe and quinoa is cheaper here then in India so I am looking forward to try your recipe asap Susan. Thanks for sharing and hope you have been fine.

13. apuginthekitchen July 28, 2014 at 11:23 am #

The wrap looks delicious Susan. It is packed with all sorts of good for you ingredients and would be so satisfying, Great recipe!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..DaiseyMy Profile

14. Norma Chang July 28, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

What a great idea, I could eat this wrap for dinner too.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, July 28, 2014, Peppermint Swiss Chard + Carrots ExperimentMy Profile

15. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories July 28, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

I love Sarah’s blog! These are gorgeous and look quite substantial! Yum!

16. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere July 28, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

We’ve done something similar, but without the hummus. Great addition!
    Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Beet Ravioli with Sauteed MushroomsMy Profile

17. Tara July 28, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

Such an interesting wrap! Great pick!

18. Choc Chip Uru July 28, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Simple lunches are often the best, you can definitely see that in this delicious wrap :D
    Great healthy recipe!

19. Christine July 28, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Yum! These look so simple and delicious! Great SRC choice!
    Christine recently posted..SRC: Life on Food’s Peach and Blueberry BuckleMy Profile

20. Sarah E July 29, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

My tummy is growling! I loved these wraps when I made them – and I was really impressed with how much flavor they had. Your pictures are gorgeous! Hummus sounds like such a great addition – I need to try that when it’s just me eating it (my oldest is allergic to sesame). YUM!

Also a side note, I always feel so awful for anyone who does vegan/vegetarian with my blog. [Although I'm sure there are very simple subs for the stuff that isn't v-friendly.] I will say that I am really loving quinoa, so it’s been making more regular appearances lately ;)

I hope you love the blondies when you make them – they are SO WORTH IT!!

21. Des @ Life's Ambrosia July 29, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

You had me at spicy quinoa. So good!
    Des @ Life’s Ambrosia recently posted..Chocolate Cherry Icebox CakeMy Profile

22. Michelle July 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

These look great, high is protein, low in fat. Can’t wait to give them a try. I’ll tone the spice down a bit and my daughter will be on board.

23. The Food Hunter July 30, 2014 at 7:47 am #

I love the spice!

24. Sandi Gaertner (@sandigtweets) July 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

These look great! Perfect when you want a light meal.
    Sandi Gaertner (@sandigtweets) recently posted..Salsa Verde with TomatillosMy Profile

25. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes July 31, 2014 at 11:40 am #

You did a wonderful job with your secret recipe assignment Susan! This is one recipe that my family will love. I love that it’s made with ingredients that I am likely to have on hand. All the more reason to try the recipe. Thanks!

Alaiyo

26. Rebekah @ Making Miracles August 2, 2014 at 8:09 am #

That looks so fresh and tasty!! What a fantastic SRC pick this month!

27. Petra August 3, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

I’m a beginner in the world of vegetarians (or better to say in the world of those who desperately love meat but are trying to cut it out for at least one day per week), so I still don’t know that many recipes and I’m just discovering the new tastes I was missing until now. This wrap sounds like a great quick lunch idea for my next Meatless Monday (I guess everyone know this famous initiative but if not, this is the one I joined), because I also cannot spend hours in the kitchen, I will just try it without corn :)