Easy cornbread cake baked covered by a blanket of luscious blackberries, topped by oat streusel.

blackberry cornbread buckle summer cake recipe

I’ve had a hankering to make a blackberry buckle for a long time. Every since, in fact, I saw this recipe on Food52 for Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by janeofmanytrade. So, a couple of weeks ago when Carnivorous Maximus and I stopped by a farm stand in the Central Valley selling boxes brimming with fat blackberries, I knew immediately what I would make.

But would they be good enough for this dessert that I’d been planning in my head for, like, a YEAR? After all, the expectations of any dish I make are inversely proportional to how long I procrastinate in actually making it. When I put off making my own hummus for five years, I expected my first go at it to be rock star. Good enough for the Food Network. Giada should be calling me.

So purely in the interest of research, I slipped one of those juicy babies into my mouth when the farm stand operator wasn’t looking, and it softly burst open with warm berry sweetness and just a touch tart. Sold. Money was quickly exchanged (thanks Myles!). I reserved one box just for snacking and morning yogurt. The rest were destined for buckle greatness I would serve at a casual dinner party with friends.

blackberry cornbread buckle

What’s a buckle? Cake batter generously covered with luscious, juicy fruit and finished with a streusel topping. The weight of the fruit buckles the cake as it bakes, creating a very rustic, farmhouse-like cake. It might not win prizes for how it looks, but it’s one of my favorite ways to eat cake in the summer. It’s tender and moist with a burst of fruit. Summer perfection on a plate.

Rustic blackberry cornbread buckle, easy summer cake recipe

Farmstand Blackberry Cornbread Buckle: #SundaySupper BBQ

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 75 minutes

Yield: Serves 6

This recipe was slightly adapted from Blackberry Cornbread Buckle on Food52 by janeofmanytrades.

Ingredients...

• 1/2 t salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
  • 3/4 c cornmeal
  • 2 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • Oat Crumb Topping (below)
  • Oatmeal Crumb Topping
  • 1/2 c all purpose flour
  • 1/2 c rolled oats
  • 1/3 c light brown sugar
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/8 t baking soda
  • 4 T unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes

Directions...

Blackberry Buckle
  1. Combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon zest, rosewater, and cardamom in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 10" deep dish pie plate, 10" x 10" pan, or 11" pie plate, and set aside.
  3. Cream the butter with the sugar, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, waiting until each egg is completely mixed in before adding the next. You may need to scrape the bowl in between adding the eggs, particularly after the first one.
  4. Whisk the flours and baking powder together to thoroughly distribute the baking powder through the flours. Even though this is a buckle, it's nice to have an even buckling, so to speak. Fold the flour mixture into the batter in thirds using a spatula until combined. Pour in the buttermilk and continue folding until no streaks remain.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the surface. Top the cornbread evenly with the berries. By now, there should be some juices in the berry bowl - make sure you add those too! The berries should cover the entire cake.
  6. Sprinkle the Oat Crumb Topping evenly over the fruit, and bake until a pick comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Because of all the berries, it's good to test the cake in a few areas. This cake is fantastic served warm or cold, but warm is just a little better. And don't forget a scoop of ice cream.
  7. Oatmeal Crumb Topping
  8. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and toss around with your fingers. Add the butter cubes and rub the ingredients together with your fingers until pea sized crumbs are formed.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

This week #SundaySupper celebrates BBQs and we’re all sharing recipes to serve at your next one, whether it’s a small dinner for two or a neighborhood block party BBQ. Big thanks to Jenny of The Messy Baker and Melanie of Melanie Makes blogs for co-hosting us this week! If you’re pulling together a BBQ tonight or anytime soon, we’ve got a bazillion fabulous ideas for you. From beverages (including wine pairing ideas) all the way through dessert, we’ve got you covered here at #SundaySupper.

Beverages

Appetizers

Sides and Accompaniments

Main Dishes

Desserts

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , ,

31 Responses to “Blackberry Cornbread Buckle: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Ala July 20, 2014 at 12:40 am #

Susan, I’m in love with how you put it: my ideas most definitely fulfill the inverse procrastination-epicness relationship you described! How’d your hummus turn out–was it as rock star as you’d hoped? I once put off these layered brownies for a bajillion months and was horrified when I pulled them out to find layers oozing everywhere over an overbaked crust. Yech! But you really can’t go wrong with a solid buckle, especially this one–looks lovely! It’s great to meet you over here for Sunday Supper!

2. apuginthekitchen July 20, 2014 at 5:51 am #

I just saw that buckle on Food52 the other day and thought that I really need to make it. Your buckle is gorgeous Susan and I bet CM really enjoyed!! I love blackberries and can’t wait for them to show up at the farmers market haven’t seen one berry yet.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Gluten Free Cherry CrispMy Profile

3. Cheryl July 20, 2014 at 7:47 am #

LOOKS SO GOOD! I love the way it buckles! So cool. I would love it if you would bring this recipe to my recipe link party The Yuck Stops Here this week. It will start Tuesday evening at 8pm ET on my blog, Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos. I hope to see you there. HUGS
    Cheryl recently posted..Easy Fruity Salad for a #SundaySupper Summer BBQ PartyMy Profile

4. cheri July 20, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Hi Susan, blackberries are ripening up much earlier here than usual, this looks like the perfect way to enjoy them with others. Pinned!
    cheri recently posted..Chickpea, Farro and Feta Salad with a Toasted Spice VinaigretteMy Profile

5. Tara July 20, 2014 at 9:54 am #

What a great recipes, I don’t think I have ever had Buckle!! Love when desserts are called funny names. Yours looks great!!

6. Simply Gourmet July 20, 2014 at 9:57 am #

I need a big plate of this–looks so good! I love berry buckles but don’t make it very often. I need to print this today. Thanks for a great summer recipe.
    Simply Gourmet recently posted..Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza #SundaySupperMy Profile

7. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate July 20, 2014 at 10:48 am #

What an interesting dessert, cornbread and crumble all rolled into one!

8. Sarah July 20, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

One of these days I’ll need to taste a buckle, never had one before
    Sarah recently posted..Two Tomato Chutney for a Summery #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Laura Dembowski July 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

I so wish my farmers’ market had blackberries, but it never does. Buckle is one of my favorite treats, but I’ve only made it with blueberries. Both the blackberries and cornmeal sound like inspired additions.
    Laura Dembowski recently posted..Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie #SundaySupperMy Profile

10. Emily {Jelly Toast} July 20, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

I love how you made this a cornbread buckle – and the blackberries sound perfect! Beautiful photos, too!

11. Melanie | Melanie Makes July 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Love the cornbread component of this dessert!

12. Roz July 20, 2014 at 2:41 pm #

What a perfect summer treat to bring to a BBQ! Love it!
    Roz recently posted..Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup #SundaySupperMy Profile

13. Amy Kim July 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

Susan – congrats again on your award-winning huevos rancheros! And it was a pleasure meeting you, albeit brief!

I love this buckle and am now going to make this for my potluck next week!

14. Liz July 20, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

Susan, it was such a thrill to meet you…and share dinner last night! I need to make hubby a blueberry dessert and yours looks like a winner!

15. mjskit July 20, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

Thanks for introducing me to a buckle! I’ve never heard of it. You certainly sold it with those mouthwatering pictures! What a delicious treat.
    mjskit recently posted..Hash Brown Cakes with Andouille SausageMy Profile

16. Barb | Creative Culinary July 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Just picked up some fresh blackberries this weekend too…this looks like a great use for them.
    Barb | Creative Culinary recently posted..Orange Creamsicle CocktailMy Profile

17. Choc Chip Uru July 20, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

I have never seen cornbread buckle before, you are so creative! I can just imagine all that fruity goodness combined with delicious fluffiness :D
    Fantastic!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..CCU Undercover: Your ForkMy Profile

18. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction July 21, 2014 at 6:08 am #

This is gorgeous! It’s been a long time since I’ve had a buckle!

19. Martin D Redmond July 21, 2014 at 7:02 am #

I’ve never had a buckle before. It looks fabulous!
    Martin D Redmond recently posted..Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party #SundaySupperMy Profile

20. Courtney @ Neighborfood July 21, 2014 at 7:12 am #

Susan, I am so bummed I didn’t get a chance to talk with you more at the conference! I can’t believe how quickly the weekend flew by. Too many people to talk to, so little time! I’m glad we had our moment during the photo though. :) It was great to at least say hello face to face! This cake is gorgeous. Pretty sure I would eat it for breakfast.

21. Maureen July 21, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

I haven’t had a buckle since I lived in Maine a VERY long time ago. This one looks better than anything I remember but I do remember how much I loved it.
    Maureen recently posted..Thai Curry Pastes from Scratch Class at The Golden PigMy Profile

22. Norma Chang July 22, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

That is one good looking buckle and it should win a prize both for looks and taste.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, July 21, 2014 – Garlic Harvest + Temporary KitchenMy Profile

23. Kimberly July 22, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Oh my … this looks gorgeous!

I love a good “buckle” … and this one totally fits the bill!
    Kimberly recently posted..Margarita Fruit Salad for #RecipeReDuxMy Profile

24. Christy July 22, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

What a great recipe – I’m craving blackberry buckle now!

I noticed you are going to IFBC – looking forward to meeting you!
    Christy recently posted..#SundaySupper – BisteccaMy Profile

25. Terra July 22, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

Love buckle recipes! Your addition of cornmeal must make this recipe rock! Your recipe looks fabulous! Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Cherry Bourbon Crumble Bars #RecipeReduxMy Profile

26. Laura July 23, 2014 at 1:53 am #

This looks delicious, I wonder if I can justify having it for breakfast. :)

27. Dionne Baldwin July 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

I would absolutely love to try a buckle, especially this blackberry buckle. I’ve never made one before and now I am inspired to try it!
    Dionne Baldwin recently posted..Grilled Steak Southwest Salad #WeekdaySupperMy Profile

28. Shikha @ Shikha la mode July 24, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Hey, taste always comes first – no use otherwise! And this still looks gorgeous!

29. Alice July 24, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

I havent seen a cornbread buckle before – how interesting! I love these kinds of desserts for breakfast… : ) thanks for sharing!
    Alice recently posted..Grilled Sanma! #SundaySupperMy Profile

30. Oui, Chef August 1, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

I don’t think I’ve ever had a cornbread buckle…love the look of it!
    Oui, Chef recently posted..Brownie and Dulce de Leche Ice Cream SandwichesMy Profile

31. Claudia August 1, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

So tasty! That appears to be amazing!
    Claudia recently posted..Braising Barbecue GrillMy Profile