Crunchy coconut prawns appetizer with a sweet and spicy dip of apricot preserves + pepper jelly.
In my mind, these started out as Beer Battered Coconut Prawns. The plan was to take a recipe I slaved over last summer for coconut prawns and tweak it a bit with beer. They were The Summer Project That Drove Me Crazy with weeks of attempts, countless variations, and more pounds of shrimp than I want to admit, all to get a crispy crust. And all for love, I might add.
CM (Carnivorous Maximus), aka the husband, has to restrain himself from snagging coconut prawns from waiters’ trays as he’s walking through a restaurant. They rank high on his list of favorite foods, and although he vigorously denies it, I think they remind him of his bachelor years in Hawaii as a young ER doctor zipping through shifts before hitting the beach where the bikinis were.
So he happily ate his way through each batch I tried, judiciously weighing in on the crunch factor, the tenderness of the shrimp, and coconut flavor.
Aiming at first for a healthy version, I tried baking them.
I kicked up the heat to broil.
I experimented with rice flour, potato flour, and salting the shrimp.
“Pah-lease just FRY them!!”
I was losing that sense of fun togetherness, and agreed to fry the suckers. The secret to frying is using a high oil temperature. That way, the shrimp cook fast and are in the oil a much shorter time. The shorter the time, the less oil they absorb.
I could actually hear the crunch across the room when he ate that first batch out of the frying pan. Now I just needed to tweak the oil temperature a bit, and experiment with the coconut flakes. Home stretch, I remember thinking.
I tried sweetened and unsweetened coconut. I tried small flake and big. I even gave large toasted flakes a run for its money. In the end, I settled on a combination of large and medium, and enough coconut to last me a lifetime.
So yesterday, I bought some shrimp, and after long pondering, decided on Anchor Steam beer. I kept a bottle out at room temperature to play with today, and that was the last I gave it any thought until we tested the finished prawns this afternoon and I spied the bottle of beer still on the counter.
CM generously offered, “it’s okay with me if you make another batch with the beer.”
I’m not saying my love for him has limits, but going back to the store for more shrimp wasn’t happening today.
“Next time”, I responded. Because with these coconut shrimp, I’ve learned there’s always a next time.
Be sure to bring the oil back up to 375˚- 400˚F between batches of the shrimp. This ensures a brown crispy skin and shorter time in the oil.
All-purpose flour, rice flour or potato flour can all be substituted for the coconut flour.
I’ve used sesame oil, and it works well as a substitute for peanut oil. I imagine Canola oil would too.
This week’s theme at #SundaySupper is “MAN FOOD!!”, hosted by the wonderful Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen blog fame. And now you know why this Sunday’s post isn’t my latest kale kerfuffle, as CM likes to put it.
It wouldn’t be honest.
It needed to be something that he considers his food. I drew the line at meat, and we’re both on a diet, so I ended up with these wonderful little prawns – a perfect little appetizer for your next party. Or a great lunch or dinner for your guy along with a really big kale salad for yourself.
And now, go check out what the rest of the guys got this week!!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.Pin It