Light potato salad mixed with lentils and tomatoes…perfect for picnics and BBQs.
After a winter and spring of house remodeling projects, I am so ready for the BBQs, picnics, and casual entertaining that Memorial Day weekend heralds. Well, just as soon as we fix our deck enough to hobble through another year. It’s squishy in a way that no deck should be. The hard truth is that it needs to be completely replaced. But since it’s only about 4 inches above the ground with no real safety issues, we’ve elected to just replace the rotting supports for now.
Yesterday, while our team of workers yanked up weathered boards, CM (Carnivorous Maximus) wondered aloud if we should just rip it all out and redo the deck right now. But seeing the panic flit across my face, we agreed that next year is soon enough. There are design issues that need to be sorted through, requiring a new approach, and I (and our savings accounts) need some breathing time.
So we packed up the car and headed to Tahoe for a few days of lakeside fun in the sun. And a BBQ.
As a kid, one of my all-time favorite BBQ dishes was potato salad. I could always count on someone bringing a huge bowl of it – and I feasted on all it’s forms. Over the years I moved away from the mayonnaise dressing, and more recently began adding legumes and tomatoes for a vegetarian meal. If you’re heading to a BBQ this weekend, here’s my latest favorite. The best part – you can make it all ahead of time and it just keeps getting better.
This is a great potato salad for vegetarians’ main dish, and a perfect side dish with BBQ ribs. If you want to add meat to the salad, I suggest frying up some crispy bacon and sprinkling it on top just before serving.
Lentil and Potato Salad
Beluga lentils are perfect in salads as they hold their shape so well through the cooking process.
Lentil and Potato Salad
- 1/2 cup Beluga lentils
- 8 fingerling potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced spring onions
- 1/2 seeded Serrano pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Lentil Potato Salad
- Bring 2 cups water to a simmer and add the Beluga lentils. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and cool.
- Bring a pot of well salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool. Slice or halve the potatoes when cool enough to handle.
- Toss the spring onions, Serrano pepper, tomatoes, celery, and parsley together in a large bowl. Add the lentils and potatoes.
- Whisk together the vinegar, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil and dress the salad.