Glazed blueberry tarts, easy dessert

When my mom got married, she moved directly from her parents home where her mom did all the cooking to one that she shared with my dad. Not the adventurous type, she refused to bake anything that didn’t come from a box, scrupulously followed every recipe, and had a regular rotation of meals. But every meal was thoughtfully prepared, and really good (unless it included grits).

After she passed away a number of years ago, I sifted through stacks of boxes filled with photographs, letters, and stray scraps of paper that must have meant enough to her to have saved… a couple of my better report cards, a Valentine I’d made in 2nd grade all trimmed in lace, some long chain necklaces all knotted together. One of the most memorable little treasures was a letter carefully penned in her neat cursive handwriting, written early in her fledgling marriage, to her mother-in-law, a cold woman with whom she had always had a difficult relationship. I don’t know why she had the letter. Maybe she changed her mind about mailing it. Or perhaps she retrieved it when my grandmother passed away. I’ll never know, and it doesn’t matter.

In the letter, she asked for help in cooking a steak. A business connection of my dad’s was coming to dinner in the next month with his wife, and mom was nervous. She assured her mother-in-law that she was doing her best to be a good wife to my dad and desperately needed advice. What cut should the meat be, and how thick? When should she salt it? How should she cook it, and for how long? She needed ideas for side dishes, dessert, and all sorts of things that would become instinctive to her over time. But this was before that happened, before she became the strong self-confident – one might even say dominating – woman I knew, and it gave me a rare glimpse into the young, nervous, new wife that she was at one time.

Glazed blueberry tarts, easy dessert

And it reminded me of a slower, more lean time in life when picking up the phone was a financial decision for more weighty issues than dinner menus. In honor of her on Mother’s Day, and that memory, I’m sharing my favorite dessert she made for us every summer – Blueberry Pie. It’s not cooked, so it bursts with fresh blueberries. There’s a syrup thickened on the stove that holds it all together, and is perfect for days when you want a great dessert without all the trouble.

Glazed blueberry tarts, easy dessert

Cooking Notes:

The original recipe (shown here) is for a 9″ pie. I cut the recipe in half to make 4 tarts.

This is a recipe for your best blueberries.

Both cream cheese and mascarpone work well in these tarts.

Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Yield: One 9" pie

Ingredients...

• 1 3-ounce package cream cheese or mascarpone
  • 1 9" pastry shell
  • 4 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Whipped cream

Directions...

1. Soften the cream cheese or mascarpone while you bake the pastry shell according to directions. Let the pie shell completely cool. Spread the cream cheese on the base of the pie shell.
  2. Fill the shell with 3 cups of blueberries.
  3. Combine the remaining cup of blueberries with the water in a small pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer for 4 - 5 minutes. Strain, reserving all of the juice. Mash the berries to get all the juice out. Discard the berries.
  4. Combine the sugar and corn starch in the same small pot over medium high heat. Gradually stir in the reserved blueberry juices. Cook, stirring constantly until thick and clear. Cool slightly and add the lemon juice.
  5. Pour the syrup over the berries in the pastry shell. Chill.
  6. Serve with whipped cream (I substituted Greek yogurt)

Cooking Notes...

Cooking time does not include baking the pie shell, as that can vary on the package. Approximate time to bake a pie shell can range from 15 to 30 minutes.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

This week at #SundaySupper, Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake! is hosting us as we celebrating mom with a story, a memory or a recipe. Please go see what the rest of the family is sharing today!

Mother’s Day Breakfast:

Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:

Mother’s Day Main Dishes:

Mother’s Day Desserts:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , , ,

34 Responses to “Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts – #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Run DMT May 11, 2014 at 4:29 am #

I loved that story and the glimpse into a mom’s culinary adventure. Your tarts are simply stunning.
    Run DMT recently posted..Chocolate Babka for Mother’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Liz May 11, 2014 at 4:46 am #

That letter is certainly a treasure! I think I felt that way as a newlywed :) Your tarts look exquisite!
    Liz recently posted..Chocolate Caramel Tart #SundaySupperMy Profile

3. rossi May 11, 2014 at 5:27 am #

awww wonderful piece I loved this and the glimpse you had of the mom you didn’t know t
    the young nervous starting out mom very great to read on mother’s day
    rossi recently posted..Eleanor Parker Dead: ‘Sound Of Music’ Actress Dies At 91My Profile

4. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious May 11, 2014 at 6:33 am #

adore the story about your mom. So true about picking up the phone…it used to be a special occasion to get a long-distance call!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Scotch Tea Cookies for Mother’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Cathy May 11, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Oh Susan! Luscious blueberries
    Cathy recently posted..Mothers Day Strawberry Salad with Individual Asparagus Crab Mousse #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 11, 2014 at 9:02 am #

Your tarts are just gorgeous! Perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch!!

7. Mary @ Fit and Fed May 11, 2014 at 9:34 am #

That is so interesting to think of the dinner menu being worthy of a letter from your mom to her mom-in-law. It shows not just that phone calls were expensive, but that business entertaining was a really important part of her role. It certainly was a big part of what my mother-in-law did, too, home entertaining that helped her husband in his career. I like the use of the fresh raw berries in the tarts!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Celery Root, Granny Smith, Fennel, and Manchego SlawMy Profile

8. Marlene @Nosh My Way May 11, 2014 at 9:46 am #

I love your story of your mom as a new wife learning to cook. Your blueberry tarts, well your photo paints a thousand wrords.
    Marlene @Nosh My Way recently posted..Smoky Paprika Shrimp #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Seduction In The Kitchen May 11, 2014 at 11:13 am #

MMMM these look so good! Happy Mother’s Day!
    Seduction In The Kitchen recently posted..#SundaySupper Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream CupcakesMy Profile

10. Shannon R May 11, 2014 at 11:55 am #

These look fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Shannon R recently posted..Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake Recipe #SundaySupperMy Profile

11. Laura Dembowski May 11, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

These tarts are so pretty and so easy to make. Perfect for mom’s day off, right?
    Laura Dembowski recently posted..White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. The Ninja Baker May 11, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

What a heartwarming story, Susan. Truly touching…Your blueberry tarts look to be bliss on a plate and a beautiful tribute <3

13. cheri May 11, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

What a beautiful story and treasure Susan. I think sometimes it’s hard to imagine our Mom’s as unsure and uncertain as we all know we are in certain stages of our lives. This makes them so much more vulnerable to us. Happy week-end to you!
    cheri recently posted..Cheese BiscuitsMy Profile

14. apuginthekitchen May 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

I love the story Susan, your Mom sounds like an amazing woman and I love this recipe. I really prefer blueberries uncooked and love this. Happy Mothers Day and thank you for sharing such a wonderful memory.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Happy Mothers Day Blueberry WafflesMy Profile

15. Tara May 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

I love a blueberry tart like this, I have to make these, I can’t wait!!

16. Choc Chip Uru May 11, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

Your mum sounds like an incredible person, thanks for sharing your story and such a delicious recipe :D
    Blueberries are definitely a weakness :D

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Guest Post: The Dough CollectiveMy Profile

17. Sarah May 11, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

What a gorgous cap-off to Mother’s Day
    Sarah recently posted..Chocolate Almond Prune Bread – A Mother’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

18. Jennifer Miller May 11, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

There are no words to describe how amazing your blueberry tarts look — seriously delicious!
    Jennifer Miller recently posted..Mom’s Macaroons #SundaySupperMy Profile

19. Courtney @ Neighborfood May 11, 2014 at 7:00 pm #

What a wonderful story about your mother. This dessert is so lovely! It looks just my style!
    Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Orange Julius #SundaySupperMy Profile

20. Rosemary Mark May 11, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

Lovely Mother story Susan! Will definitely need to try these tarts. I still use your syrup thickened method from your Strawberry Cardamom Galette. :)

21. laurasmess May 11, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

These are beautiful Susan. What gorgeous photos, too… really shows off the plump freshness of the blueberries. Thanks for sharing your mum’s story with us (haha… my grandmother used to use packet cake mixes all the time! I think she liked playing it safe, too) x
    laurasmess recently posted..Bread in Common, FremantleMy Profile

22. Librarian Lavender May 12, 2014 at 1:59 am #

What a wonderful story. Cold mothers in law can be very scary indeed. I love the recipe and the tarts are looking delicious!

23. dina May 12, 2014 at 5:46 am #

these look so delicious!

24. Erika May 12, 2014 at 7:30 am #

Beautiful post, Susan! I LOVE the light in the second photo! I loved reading about your mom–so weird to think about how our parents were once young and actual people too ;) I used to despise all cooked fruit pies as a kid (now I love ‘em all!) but this would have been the perfect solution for me. I think it’s a shame to waste perfect, fresh blueberries by cooking them anyway–beautifully ripe and fresh on top of a tart is the way to go! And the blueberry syrup sounds like an AWESOME addition!!
    Erika recently posted..Pancake Fridays: Caramelized Grapefruit Dutch Baby (for two)My Profile

25. Shaina May 12, 2014 at 10:11 am #

These tarts look beautiful! The way the glaze just oozes all over the blueberries makes them look even more appealing than they already do
    Shaina recently posted..Savor the City Culinary Tours: Taste Atlantic AveMy Profile

26. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom May 12, 2014 at 10:17 am #

Susan,
    love this post and story about your mother!!! I can’t wait to try this recipe! I love that it’s no bake! How long should I chill the tart for? and did you make your own mini tart shells? if so, can you share the recipe? otherwise I’ll just use an all butter pastry crust recipe. . but was just curious. .
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini for Mother’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

27. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva May 12, 2014 at 10:22 am #

You are so fortunate to have your mom’s recipes and letters, what a great story and recipe to share for Mother’s Day! And these look delectable!

28. Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch May 12, 2014 at 11:42 am #

What a gorgeous little Blueberry Tarts! Lovely!
    Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch recently posted..Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake For Mothers Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

29. Soni May 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Such a lovely tribute to your Mom! She sounds like an amazing woman.This dessert has my name written all over it :) I love how easy it is to make and since I also love blueberries I’m surely going to be making it :) Happy Mother’s Day!

30. Terra May 12, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

These are the prettiest tarts!!! I want this for dessert, I adore blueberries!!! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..(From The Vault) Pumpkin Zucchini Bread with CardamomMy Profile

31. Dionne Baldwin May 13, 2014 at 12:41 am #

Thank you for sharing about your mom. I am picturing her measuring everything carefully and following each instruction exactly.

These tarts are beautiful and they look perfect!

32. Nancy@SpicieFoodie May 13, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Such a lovely story and tarts. They look so delicious and perfect for any occasion. Thanks for sharing!

33. Oui, Chef May 16, 2014 at 11:22 am #

Delightful story, and awesome looking tarts. Mom would be proud!
    Oui, Chef recently posted..Crispy Salt and Vinegar PotatoesMy Profile