Tender buttermilk scones with strawberries, lemon and ginger.

Strawberry Lemon Scone for Easter brunch

When life gives you lemons, make scones.

We have a lemon tree in our backyard, and since this is our first year in our new home, it’s our first year for lemons. It gives me such a happy feeling when I look out the back window and see sunny globes hanging from the branches like Christmas ornaments.

I’m adding zest and juice to everything. Pasta, vinaigrettes, lentils, and these scones.

Strawberry Lemon Scone for Easter brunch

This week’s theme for #SundaySupper is the Easter / Passover Feast. Next year I’m seriously considering hosting a seder here for my husband and friends, but since our new kitchen is being completed just this week, I took the easy route this year with scones for  Easter brunch. Fresh strawberries are everywhere now, perfect with lemon from our tree, and then I decided to throw in some ginger at the last minute. It’s totally optional, but I highly recommend it if you make these in your own kitchen. They’re easy to make, and so tender from the buttermilk.

Strawberry, Lemon and Ginger Scones

• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 12
tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 pound strawberries (about 14 strawberries)
  • 4 ounces candied ginger (about 1 cup)
  • 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Directions...

1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, lemon zest, and allspice together in large bowl or in the bowl of food processor.
  2. Cut the butter into the flour mixture by hand (or whiz with food processor) until the mixture becomes a meal texture and turns a slight yellow. Pour into a large bowl.
  3. Slice strawberries and the candied ginger. Toss into the bowl with the flour and butter mixture.
  4. Form a well in the middle and pour in the vanilla extract and buttermilk. Stir until a dough forms and spill out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead a few times to completely incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet. Place on a sheet of parchment paper and flatten into a disk a little more than 1/2 inch thick. The disk should be around 8 1/2 inches in diameter. Slice into six equal triangles. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
  5. Freeze for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
  6. Transfer dough and parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
  7. Bake for about 20 minutes or until reddish-brown on top.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

And now go see what the rest of the #SundaySupper family is bringing to the table this week. Big thanks to Alaiyo at The Pescatarian Journal for hosting us this week!!
Breakfast/Brunch

Appetizers:

Savory and Sweet Breads:

Sides and Salads:

Main Dishes:

Desserts:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , ,

54 Responses to “Strawberry Buttermilk Scones: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Dionne Baldwin April 19, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

I love the touch of ginger and I would totally add it if I made these! I must confess, I am jealous of your lemon tree. :) I love lemons!
    Dionne Baldwin recently posted..Beef AdoboMy Profile

2. The Ninja Baker April 20, 2014 at 2:34 am #

How cheery to have lemons peeking in at you. Lemons truly do add that little extra zing to a dish…I am intrigued by your idea of adding ginger =)

Happy Easter & Post Passover, Susan =)

3. Liz April 20, 2014 at 3:37 am #

Lucky you with the fresh lemons at your disposal! Your scones sound amazing!!!
    Liz recently posted..Layered Chocolate Mousse Cake #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Manu April 20, 2014 at 3:57 am #

Ohhh I wish I had lemons too! In fact I am considering planting a lemon and lime tree in my yard soon! These scones sound delicious!
    Manu recently posted..Colomba Muffins #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes April 20, 2014 at 4:03 am #

Perfection! Your scones are perfect for a leisurely Easter Morning breakfast.

6. Cindys Recipes and Writings April 20, 2014 at 5:12 am #

I love scones thanks for a great breakfast idea!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Mixed Greens with Hot Bacon Dressing #SundaySupperMy Profile

7. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 20, 2014 at 5:40 am #

Oh my gosh! Your scones look to die for. They are just simply beautiful!!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Banana Carrot Cake Bread #SundaySupperMy Profile

8. Susan April 20, 2014 at 6:17 am #

What I would give to have a lemon tree of my own! Well I guess for now I’ll just continue to buy and then make your lovely scones.
    Susan recently posted..Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere April 20, 2014 at 6:35 am #

I’ve never thought to add ginger to the strawberry lemon combo. This sounds amazing!
    Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Italian Easter Bread (Pane di Pasqua) #SundaySupperMy Profile

10. Seduction In The Kitchen April 20, 2014 at 6:37 am #

These look Great! I love to have one now on my Brunch Table :)
    Seduction In The Kitchen recently posted..Paska Bread #SundaySupperMy Profile

11. Stacy April 20, 2014 at 7:14 am #

Gorgeous scones, Susan! There is nothing better than being able to go out and pick your own fruit and vegetables. Such a great feeling! Love the strawberry lemon combination but the addition of the candied ginger is inspired!
    Stacy recently posted..Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious April 20, 2014 at 7:21 am #

I feel exactly the same way about my lemon tree out back. Happiness!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Smoked Salmon Dip with Greek Yogurt and Capers for Easter #SundaySupperMy Profile

13. Tara April 20, 2014 at 7:49 am #

I sat staring at those for the longest time, I want one badly. I am in love with ginger lately, man those look good!!

14. Shannon R April 20, 2014 at 9:53 am #

I’m going to a seder today but spent “Easter” on the couch eating chocolate. Man, these scones look fab, I might have to figure out how to have a second breakfast! I have strawberries too, yum.
    Shannon R recently posted..Passover Vegan Lemon Cheesecake Recipe #SundaySupperMy Profile

15. Shaina April 20, 2014 at 10:36 am #

I’m a sucker for anything that has ginger in it. I would love these scones! Yum! BUT…if you do decide to have a seder next year, no scones allowed! ;-)
    Shaina recently posted..Passover Kugel: Veggie Style #SundaySupperMy Profile

16. cheri April 20, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Hi Susan, I love adding a little of this and that when I cook or bake, adding the candied ginger at the end sounds brilliant. Happy Sunday to you, nice that your kitchen is back together.
    cheri recently posted..Easter breadMy Profile

17. Sarah April 20, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Definitely a winning combination here!
    Sarah recently posted..Whole Wheat Croissants for a #SundaySupper EasterMy Profile

18. Melanie | Melanie Makes April 20, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Just love the combination of flavors here – Pinning!
    Melanie | Melanie Makes recently posted..Aunt Ruthie Mashed Potatoes #SundaySupperMy Profile

19. Martin D Redmond April 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Love this combination of flavors Susan! I bet that ginger makes your scones pop!

20. Jennifer Miller April 20, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

There is nothing better then warm homemade scones! I love your recipe and can’t wait to give it a whirl!
    Jennifer Miller recently posted..Easter Basket Cupcakes #SundaySupperMy Profile

21. Choc Chip Uru April 21, 2014 at 2:29 am #

Mmm these scones could make my breakfast very delicious :D

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..I’m A Newni Student!My Profile

22. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom April 21, 2014 at 7:02 am #

I adore scones!! and what a lovely combo of strawberry, lemon and ginger! love this!
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Greek Easter Bread for Easter/Passover Feast #SundaySupperMy Profile

23. Julie April 21, 2014 at 7:29 am #

I love a good scone – and this flavor combo sounds perfect!

24. Courtney @ Neighborfood April 21, 2014 at 8:06 am #

Mmm…strawberry and lemon is one of the best combos and so great for spring! Wish I had some coffee to go with this!
    Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Garlic Cheddar Swirled Brioche Rolls (No Knead!) #SundaySupperMy Profile

25. Rita April 21, 2014 at 10:28 am #

Yumm. We’ve an orange tree, and even with the drought, we’ve never had more oranges or orange blossoms. What a delightful spring fragrance in the yard.

26. apuginthekitchen April 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

I envy your lemon tree. the scones sound wonderful, and a lovely combination of flavors!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Happy EasterMy Profile

27. Norma Chang April 21, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

I too wish I had a lemon tree. Go to the backyard and pick tree ripened lemon as needed, what a treat.
    Love scones, definitely adding the candied ginger.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, April 21, 2014 – Peas Seedlings UpdateMy Profile

28. mjskit April 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

Congratulations on your lemon harvest!!! Now you’ve made it really difficult. Do I want these scones of Dutch baby for breakfast this weekend. These scones look quite moist and definitely chock full of flavor!
    mjskit recently posted..Fenugreek Fish and Clam BisqueMy Profile

29. Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily April 24, 2014 at 9:36 am #

How lovely to have fresh lemons for those delicious scones! We have small lemon trees and they are so much joy to use in the kitchen. J+C
    Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily recently posted..Cuisinart Mini Food Processor GiveawayMy Profile

30. Christy April 24, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

These sound and look fabulous! Our lemon tree had an off year, and I really miss all the fresh lemons.
    Christy recently posted..Pritikin’s 35th AnniversaryMy Profile

31. Jane's Adventures in Dinner April 25, 2014 at 8:50 am #

I have had a total lemon of a day but I think these scones will make it all better. C:
    Jane’s Adventures in Dinner recently posted..Friday Night Treat: Chorizo WingsMy Profile

32. Oui, Chef April 26, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Love the shot of them oozing delicious strawberry goodness!
    Oui, Chef recently posted..Fried Brussels Sprouts with Curried Sriracha AioliMy Profile

33. laurasmess April 27, 2014 at 2:10 am #

These look beautiful. Love the combination of the fruit with the ginger, I can imagine how delicious these would be when eaten warm with butter. Hope that you had a lovely Easter Susan. I’m hugely behind on all of my favourite blog reading but I’m feeling inspired already x
    laurasmess recently posted..Mary Street Bakery, HighgateMy Profile