Great vegetarian dinner of chickpeas and a spicy roasted tomato sauce tossed in pasta.

This week’s theme for SundaySupper is Meatless Meals, hosted by Tammi at Momma’s Meals. This is one of my favorite “go-to” dishes for rushed evenings since I nearly always have a stash of cooked chickpeas on hand and this Roasted Tomato Sauce is part of my regular pantry. All I need do is cook some pasta noodles, pull the sauce and chickpeas from the fridge to toss together in a sauce pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Presto magic, I’ve got a great vegetarian dinner on the table in well under 30 minutes.

As a note, I’ve used this sauce on pizza, in quesadillas with some cheese, and heaped over roasted eggplant slices. And it’s perfect to make when tomatoes are out of season. It’s got great thick texture and a deep tomatoey flavor accented with the kalamata olives. I like my sauce a little spicy but you can omit the red pepper flakes and cut back a bit on the garlic if you want. I feel the most important thing to stay true to is the canned tomatoes you use. Go for the San Marzano tomatoes. They’re worth the extra money. And I always buy whole peeled tomatoes and crush the tomatoes in my hands so I can feel like an Italian nonna, and so I can have tomato chunks in the sauce.

Spaghetti with Chickpeas and Spicy Roasted Tomato Sauce #SundaySupper

Prep time:

Cook time:

Total time:

Serves: Serves 3 - 4

• 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano), crushed by your hands
  • 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts
  • 2 tablespoons butter, thinly sliced
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, pepper and sugar
  • ½ box spaghetti noodles
  • Parmesan cheese
  1. Preheat the oven to 425˚F and combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the chickpeas, noodles, and Parmesan cheese in a 9" X 13" baking dish. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring it once half-way through the roasting. The garlic should be soft, and have a roasted flavor, and the sauce will be thick and jammy. Smash with a fork to break up the garlic a bit.
  2. Warm up the chickpeas and cook the pasta according to directions on the box.
  3. Dust with Parmesan cheese before serving.

Now go check out some fabulous ideas from the SundaySupper family to go meatless this week!!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters

“Meat”balls

Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles

Burgers

Tacos & Everything Wrapped

Other Main and Side Dishes

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , ,

55 Responses to “Spaghetti & Chickpeas with Spicy Tomato Sauce: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. The Ninja Baker March 9, 2014 at 1:26 am #

Easy to see why you would use this olive and red pepper flake spiked tomato sauce on hand – always. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Susan!

Chickpeas + Susan’s tomato sauce + pasta = home run!

=)

2. Manu March 9, 2014 at 4:01 am #

I totally agree… the tomatoes you use do make a big difference! Yummy sauce… I love the spice!
    Manu recently posted..Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts #SundaySupperMy Profile

3. Melanie March 9, 2014 at 5:50 am #

This not only looks amazing, but it sounds absolutely delicious as well! Pinning!
    Melanie recently posted..four cheese and spinach stuffed shells #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. apuginthekitchen March 9, 2014 at 5:59 am #

The sauce sounds amazing, love that you added chickpeas. What a wonderful meal.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Genoise Or Sponge Cake- Another recipeMy Profile

5. Stacy March 9, 2014 at 6:41 am #

The addition of kalamata olives is genius, Susan. They are so salty on their own but I’ll bet that they make this tasty sauce even more rich and flavorful.
    Stacy recently posted..Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin for #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 9, 2014 at 7:00 am #

Chickpeas and pasta! Oh my gosh, I love it! I am so craving pasta right now!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Lentil Stuffed Peppers #SundaySupperMy Profile

7. Cynthia March 9, 2014 at 8:27 am #

Oh, my, this looks absolutely wonderful! Thank you for such a good idea, Susan. Looking forward to the before and after of the kitchen remodel.
    Cynthia recently posted..WORDLESS WEDNESDAY: PATIENTLY WAITING FOR SPRINGMy Profile

8. Liz March 9, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Your tomato sauce looks divine!!! Nice to know it’s so versatile :)
    Liz recently posted..Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Rosemary March 9, 2014 at 11:31 am #

Even though today is national meatball day, I think I’ll save my sauce-simmered raisin meatballs (http://bit.ly/1i1wbbx) for another day. Your garbanzo spaghetti is my kind of food! Your slow-cooked garbanzos are on my to-try list,

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 9, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Oh my. I had no idea this was national meatball day! And I’ve been wanting to try making some vegetarian meatballs. That’s totally what I should have done. And I want to make yours with the raisins. This pasta is one of my favorites right now. If the tomato sauce gets too dry roasting in the oven, just stir in some water. If anything, extra roasting really makes it meatier.
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Spaghetti with Chickpeas and Spicy Roasted Tomato Sauce: #SundaySupperMy Profile

10. Shaina March 9, 2014 at 11:35 am #

Yum! I would like a big bowl of this now, please :)

11. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips March 9, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

I have to try this sauce. I bet it would be amazing over zucchini noodles or polenta, too!
    Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted..Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup for a Meatless #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. Jennifer Miller March 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

Chickpeas and pasta — nothing better :)
    Jennifer Miller recently posted..Olive Tapenade #SundaySupperMy Profile

13. Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen March 9, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

WOW what a perfect meatless meal! I must try to get my carnivore to give it a try!
    Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen recently posted..Cheesy Tomato Casserole for Meatless Meals #SundaySupperMy Profile

14. cheri March 9, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

What a great meal, I love chickpeas with pasta. The sauce looks amazing!
    cheri recently posted..Roasted Asparagus with Fried Egg, Prosciutto and Crispy Gremolata CrumbsMy Profile

15. Cheryl March 10, 2014 at 12:12 am #

I love chickpeas! This is one I might just have to try. Thanks so much for the idea, I had never thought to use chickpeas as a protein for spaghetti. HUGS

16. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere March 10, 2014 at 2:24 am #

I would never have thought to put chickpeas in a pasta sauce! This looks fantastic!
    Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna #SundaySupperMy Profile

17. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom March 10, 2014 at 4:42 am #

Love how simple yet flavorful and delicious this is!!! yummm!!
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto for #SundaySupperMy Profile

18. Renee March 10, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

Gorgeous dish and so easy to make. I definitely want to make the sauce. I love roasted tomatoes.
    Renee recently posted..Mediterranean Tomato Tart for #SundaySupperMy Profile

19. Choc Chip Uru March 10, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

What a delicious addition of chickpeas to this Neapolitan pasta :D

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Daddy’s Throwback & Winner Announced!My Profile

20. Rita March 10, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

Susan, have you tried this sauce cooked on the stovetop, uncovered?
    Rita recently posted..Comment on Marinara Simmered Meatballs with Raisins by Rosie’s KitchenMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 10, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

There’s no reason this shouldn’t work on the stove, although I haven’t made it that way. The major difference, and perhaps the only one, is that I can leave it completely untended while it’s roasting the oven (except for stirring once, half way through the roasting) and just pull it out when done. On the stove, I need to stir much more often or the bottom will likely burn a bit. Oven roasting is just easier in that way.

21. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons March 10, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

I agree, San Marzano tomatoes are worth every penny, especially in a dish like this, where they’re one of the stars. Lovely recipe!
    Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted..Easy Online Grocery Shopping with Door To Door OrganicsMy Profile

22. Cass @foodmyfriend March 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

I have already saved this one. Can’t wait to make it. It looks delicious :)

23. Cindys Recipes and Writings March 10, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

Interesting flavor combo, Susan. Sounds delicious!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Herb Frittata #WeekdaySupper #greenMy Profile

24. Lane @ Supper for a Steal March 11, 2014 at 10:48 am #

I think I could just drink a bowl of the sauce. Sounds heavenly. Love that you added chick peas. I like to throw them in everything!

25. Sarah March 11, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

I LIVED on this in college!! Sooooo good and cheap!
    Sarah recently posted..Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” – Meatless #SundaySupperMy Profile

26. Laura Hunter March 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Perfect! This uses staple ingredients from my pantry so it is a perfect week day meal idea.

27. Viviana@bonheurcuisine March 11, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

As soon as I read the post I saved it and today we just had it for dinner! Thanks for such a great dish! Though I used the tomato can available and a bit less garlic and red pepper flakes because of my children. We love spaghetti and the chickpea/ olive/ pine nuts combo was indeed great!
    Viviana@bonheurcuisine recently posted..peach ginger streusel loafMy Profile

28. Terra March 11, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Love the idea of adding chickpeas. Since I need more protein in my diet, and I am not a huge fan of eating a lot of meat, this is perfect. Your sauce sounds fantastic, love this recipe! Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Fluffy Browned Butter Applesauce PancakesMy Profile

29. Soni March 13, 2014 at 8:39 am #

Oh my God!I’ve had a similar pasta dish in an Italian restaurant that closed down sometime back :( I’ve been craving this dish for a long time and I think I’ve finally found the recipe :) Will be serving this for our dinner very soon :) Thanks Susan!Pinning!
    Soni recently posted..Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) #SundaySupperMy Profile

30. Courtney @ Neighborfood March 13, 2014 at 9:28 am #

Great alternative to traditional meat sauce. Love these photos as well!

31. Anne @ Webicurean March 15, 2014 at 10:07 am #

That some big beautiful bowl of pasta! I don’t know that I’ve ever had chick peas with pasta, but I’ll bet it’s delicious!
    Anne @ Webicurean recently posted..Pasta Patate #SundaySupperMy Profile