Great vegetarian dinner of spaghetti with chickpeas and spicy tomato sauce with roasted tomatoes.
This week’s theme for SundaySupper is Meatless Meals, hosted by Tammi at Momma’s Meals. This is one of my favorite “go-to” dishes for rushed evenings since I nearly always have a stash of cooked chickpeas on hand and this Roasted Tomato Sauce is part of my regular pantry. All I need do is cook some pasta noodles, pull the sauce and chickpeas from the fridge to toss together in a sauce pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Presto magic, I’ve got a great vegetarian dinner on the table in well under 30 minutes.
As a note, I’ve used this sauce on pizza, in quesadillas with some cheese, and heaped over roasted eggplant slices. And it’s perfect to make when tomatoes are out of season. It’s got great thick texture and a deep tomatoey flavor accented with the kalamata olives. I like my sauce a little spicy but you can omit the red pepper flakes and cut back a bit on the garlic if you want. I feel the most important thing to stay true to is the canned tomatoes you use. Go for the San Marzano tomatoes. They’re worth the extra money. And I always buy whole peeled tomatoes and crush the tomatoes in my hands so I can feel like an Italian nonna, and so I can have tomato chunks in the sauce.
Serves: Serves 3 - 4
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano), crushed by your hands
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, pepper and sugar
- ½ box spaghetti noodles
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F and combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the chickpeas, noodles, and Parmesan cheese in a 9" X 13" baking dish. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring it once half-way through the roasting. The garlic should be soft, and have a roasted flavor, and the sauce will be thick and jammy. Smash with a fork to break up the garlic a bit.
- Warm up the chickpeas and cook the pasta according to directions on the box.
- Dust with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Now go check out some fabulous ideas from the SundaySupper family to go meatless this week!!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.Pin It