Comforting cheesy polenta topped with a mole sauce and roasted peppers.

Cheesy Polenta with Mole and Roasted Peppers 600, The Wimpy Vegetarian

I lived in Italy in a former life.

I crave pasta and risotto. So it must be true. If I buy canned tomatoes, they’re San Marzano. And every soup I make simmers with a chunk of Parmesan rind. Unconvinced? I’ve got more proof.

Dessert? A fig crostata, prego. Appetizer? Farinata. And when I want comfort food, I make polenta.

Maybe it just means I should live in Italy in this lifetime. But until that happens I can at least cook like I do. This is one of my favorite polenta recipes that I top with a mole and some roasted peppers. I know, I know. Moles aren’t Italian. They’re Mexican. But I lived there in another lifetime too. Hop on over to my column Steak and Kale on The Weiser Kitchen to check it out!

Ciao.

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Cheesy Polenta + Mole & Pepper Relish” Subscribe

1. apuginthekitchen January 12, 2014 at 8:32 am #

Wonderful recipe Susan, although when I think of polenta I think of Italy the marriage of corn and the latin mole is a perfect combination, corn is such a staple in latin cuisine. Fabulous comforting dish!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Second Anniversary Or Is It Blogoversary!My Profile

2. laurasmess January 12, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

This looks so, so delicious Susan! That creamy, soft cheesy polenta is a perfect accompaniment to the Mole. I love fusion food, as Suzanne said… the cornmeal seems to be a natural accompaniment in Latin cuisine so I think you’ve done an amazing job. I defintiely want to make this very soon, I’m drooling whilst looking at that photo! xx
    laurasmess recently posted..Must Winebar: Cool for Cats Summer SeriesMy Profile

3. Derik January 13, 2014 at 8:17 am #

I love San Marzano tomatoes. Even canned they taste so fresh! This dish looks like an interesting yet very tasty dish.

4. sippitysup January 13, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Wow. Did I know you another lifetime? These are my flavors too. GREG

5. Christina January 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Good for you! I love polenta many ways, but have never tried it Mexican-style! The photo is fabulous! CC

6. Norma Chang January 13, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

Cool combo, very creative.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, January 13, 2014 – Seed Starting Stand & Grow Lights + A Delicious SaladMy Profile

7. Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 14, 2014 at 8:32 am #

I agree, polenta is total comfort food! I must have lived in Italy in my past life too. ;)

This looks amazing!!

8. Mary Frances January 15, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Polenta seems like a natural partner for a mexican-inspired sauce! Looks fantastic!
    Mary Frances recently posted..Chicken Breasts Roasted on Tomatoes and FennelMy Profile

9. mjskit January 16, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Now that’s a great fusion dish! I’ll put anything on polenta and obviously so would you. :) Mole? Love it! Lots and lots of great ingredients and flavor! Wonderful dish!
    mjskit recently posted..Cranberry Rooibos ChaiMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 16, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Totally love polenta. I might not put ice cream on polenta, but I’d at least try it :-)