chocolatey chocolate brownies from Alice MedrichI know. You’re totally done with dessert. Chocolate is history. Sugar is packed away. You’re actually craving some winter kale sautéed in miso with raisins.

But, I’ve got this fantastic little recipe, actually one of Alice Medrich’s of chocolate fame, that you can just tuck away until, say, Valentine’s Day. I didn’t change it much, but if you’ve got the recipe in one of your cookbooks, I have made some changes to the instructions to make this recipe an even bigger success.

Or if you decide to make it on the spur of the moment today, it will make a sweet ending to the year.

I wish all of you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year in 2014. See you next year.

Chocolatey Chocolate Brownies

by Susan Pridmore (slighty adapted from Alice Medrich)

Make 16 medium squares

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 55 -65 minutes

• 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (2.5 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Slice the butter into tablespoon pieces, and combine with the sugar, cocoa, salt, and cardamom in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. The mixture will still be granular as the sugar will not be dissolved.

Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. The batter will look thick, shiny, and well blended.

Add the flour and stir with a spatula until you cannot see it any longer, then beat with a wooden spoon vigorously for 40 strokes . Spread evenly in the lined pan. Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes on a rack. Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and using a knife, gently pull the foil from the sides of the brownies. Allow to completely cool on a rack.

Transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Sweet Endings: Chocolatey Chocolate Brownies” Subscribe

1. lizthechef December 31, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

LOL – yes, packed away the sugar but a girl can dream! Lovely shot – Happy New Year, Susan. X0
    lizthechef recently posted..Cranberry Pistachio Icebox CookiesMy Profile

2. Rosemary December 31, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

I was just looking at my baking chocolate stash yesterday and thinking about brownies! I usually use an adaption of a Fanny Farmer recipe with unsweetened chocolate. Your Alice version looks good especially with Dutch process chocolate.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 31, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

I’m sure the Fanny Farmer recipe is great, Rosemary, but I have to admit this is my new favorite brownie recipe. I think made at least 5 batches over the holidays . Alice’s recipes are so great, and this one is no exception. Wishing you and your family a very happy new year!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Sweet Endings: Chocolatey Chocolate BrowniesMy Profile

3. apuginthekitchen December 31, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

I can never pack away my chocolate or sugar, I love this recipe. Made the original I really like brownies made with cocoa. I love the cardamom addition. Happy New Year!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Hoppin John For Good Luck, A Broken Finger And Happy 2014My Profile

4. TerriSue December 31, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

I’ve always used the recipe attributed to Katharine Hepburn. She was addicted to them. I don’t know though…..cardamom and cinnamon, and they are so thick and dense. I just might be giving these a try.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 1, 2014 at 9:29 am #

The biggest thing Alice Medrich is known for is her recipes with chocolate. She used to have a shop in Berkeley called Chocolat and built her reputation there. That said, these are very chocolatey and moist, which the photo doesn’t do justice too. And as a warning, addictive. I made at least 5 batches over the holidays :-) I’m going to google the ones attributed to Katharine Hepburn, b/c now you’ve got me curious!

5. Maureen December 31, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

Holy cow, those brownies look so fudgy and chocolatey that I’m going to blow my New Year’s resolutions and it’s only 10:18am on January 1st here in Australia. Feel sorry for my lack of control because I’m about to head to the kitchen.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 1, 2014 at 9:30 am #

Thanks Maureen. Surely we have a few days grace period on our resolutions, I know that’s how I approach them. That might be part of my problem with resolutions though LOL. Happy New Year to you and your family Maureen!

6. Lynda - TasteFood January 1, 2014 at 11:31 am #

I am never done with dessert. Perfect for the new year! Happy new year, Susan.
    Lynda – TasteFood recently posted..Crispy Duck Banh Mi SlidersMy Profile

7. Erika January 2, 2014 at 6:29 am #

Oh man yummm. You’re right–I’ve mentally put chocolate in a box for now, but tucking these away for Valentine’s Day sounds perfect :) Happy new year Susan!
    Erika recently posted..Pancake Fridays: Pannenkoeken (Dutch pancakes)My Profile

8. mjskit January 2, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Oh my – I these look SO buttery and chocolatey – almost like fudge. My favorite type of brownie!
    mjskit recently posted..Red Chile Chicken TamalesMy Profile

9. Elaine @ JoinMeForDinner January 7, 2014 at 12:04 am #

Does anyone ever tire of chocolate?

10. Norma Chang January 7, 2014 at 4:36 am #

Sugar may be packed away but not chocolate. Like how there are so few ingredients in the recipe yet the finished product looks so decadent. I could have a chunk for breakfast right now.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvard University’s Glass Flowers Collection – FruitsMy Profile