Portabellas stuffed with cabernet onions and spinach

When I moved to a mostly vegetarian diet a couple of years ago, I needed to create some new entrées for the holidays. Let’s face it; whether you’re 2 years old or 75, food is central to festivities, starting with Thanksgiving and continuing all the way through countless holiday parties to New Years Day. So, just two months after my leap into the big green world of vegetarianism, heated debates raged in my extended family over the best way to roast (or deep fry) turkey to get a crispy skin and juicy flesh, while I tried (and failed) to muster interest in tofurkey. Friends discussed whether Christmas Eve dinner should be a standing rib roast with a mustard crust or a simple cioppino stew with hunks of bread, and asked what I thought since I’d recently graduated from culinary school.  I thought I should have delayed my vegetarian mission to January.

Creating a vegetarian dinner for Thanksgiving was fairly easy with all the squash arriving at the markets in their whimsical colors, sizes, and shapes. But once that passed, I wanted to put on my dancing shoes for December. It was time to be festive, to bring out my jewels, to toast the year done, and welcome the new one on the horizon. Unfortunately I stumbled through two holiday seasons with uninteresting vegetarian grain pilafs studded with dried apricots, leaving my need for something special unsated.

I vowed this year would be different. I needed something with wine for the touch of exuberance it brings to otherwise stolid dishes. When I saw #SundaySupper team up with Gallo Family Vineyards, and learned I was one of 20 lucky bloggers chosen to create a recipe with their wine and post about it, I saw my opportunity to resolve my dilemma.

Gallo Family Vineyards crest

I started with tasting a few of GFV’s family of 16 wines, although I’ve been a long-time fan of their Cabernet Sauvignon starting from a blind tasting I attended several years ago when it won the #1 spot. Their crisp Sauvignon Blanc tempted me too, and if I was making a dessert, the white Moscato with tones of honey would have been my choice. All in all, I had a great family of wines to choose from for my kitchen-play.

If you’d like to give Gallo Family Vineyards wine a try, click here for a $2 coupon off any GFV wine.

And before I forget, then head over to a very fun project to create your own family crest. You can create one for your work group, gang of friends, and your family. Have some fun with it! Here’s our family crest! The middle four sections represent our first date over coffee, our marriage in the wine country, the small home we have in the mountains and our even smaller home by the Bay.

Family crest using gallo crest creator

But GFV isn’t just a great vintner, they also give back to the community, their larger family. In fact from now until Dec. 31, 2013, they’re partnering with Meals On Wheels Association of America to fight hunger with our Every Cork Counts™ campaign. Every day, 8 million seniors in the U.S. face the threat of hunger – that’s one in every six seniors.

There’s still time to help – and have a little fun! Visit http://www.EveryCorkCounts.com. Just select a wine bottle, and use it to catch the falling corks. GFV will donate $1.00 for every cork caught! In addition, they will donate $5 for every GFV wine cork you send their way (up to $90,000). All you have to do is uncork a bottle of wine to share with your family, and then mail the cork to the GFV family. Corks should be mailed to:

Every Cork Counts

P.O. Box 3017

Grand Rapids, MN 55745-3017

All corks must be postmarked between now and Dec. 31, 2013, and received by January 15, 2014, so run out and get that case today.

If you want to keep up with the Gallo family, go follow them on their social channels:

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

Instagram

And now read on for the recipe I came up with using Portabella mushrooms and Gallo Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon; easy enough for a weeknight dinner, fancy enough for company. And all dressed up for the holidays in pomegranate jewels.

Portabellas Stuffed with Cabernet Onions and Spinach

Serves 4

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 large yellow onions, sliced
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • ¼ cup golden raisins
  • 2 cups Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 8 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
  • 4 medium portabella mushrooms, stems sliced off
  • ½ cup vegetable broth
  • 1 large sprig of thyme
  • 4 tablespoons gorgonzola
  • ¼ cup pomegranate seeds

Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onion slices, and carefully turn with tongs to coat. As they warm, they’ll begin to collapse into the pan. Continue to cook, occasionally stirring, until browned, about twenty minutes.

Add the nutmeg, half of the salt and pepper, and the raisins, and toss to mix into the onions. Cool another five minutes. Pour in the wine, and cook at a rapid simmer until absorbed, about ten minutes. When the pan is fairly dry, add the spinach. Toss in with tongs. Once most of the spinach begins to wilt, remove to a bowl. The spinach will continue to wilt, so don’t wait until it’s completely wilted before removing to the bowl.

Using the same sauté pan, heat up the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Clean the cap and gills of the mushrooms using a brush or paper towel. I reserve a pastry brush for this, which does a great job of brushing dirt out of hidden nooks and crannies. If they feel dry, rub a little olive oil on their surfaces. But only a little. Mushrooms are very absorbent.

Place the mushrooms, cap side down, in the pan and cook for two – three minutes. Add the vegetable broth and thyme, and flip the mushrooms over. Cover the pan and cook for another two – three minutes. Flip again, and season the mushrooms with the remaining salt and pepper. Divide the onion – spinach mixture between the four mushrooms and top each with one tablespoon gorgonzola. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and cook for an additional two minutes.

Place the stuffed mushrooms on a serving plate and shower their beauty with pomegranate jewels.

Our contributors have had such a fun this week coming up with beautiful recipes around two of the Gallo Family Vineyards Wines, Moscato and Cabernet Sauvignon.  Not only did we have fun cooking with wine, we wanted to share with you some of our favorite Holiday Traditions and Recipes. Wait until you see some of these recipes — they are out of this world!

Sunday Supper Movement

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “Portabellas Stuffed with Cabernet Onions and Gorgonzola: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Renee December 15, 2013 at 3:00 am #

I could eat a bowl of the Cabernet onions all by themselves. Then put it with all the other yummies and wow! What a great dish.
    Renee recently posted..Short Ribs with Pasta for #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Liz December 15, 2013 at 3:43 am #

What a gorgeous, flavor-packed stuffed portabella! I’d never, ever miss meat with this beauty on my plate!
    Liz recently posted..Fudgy Red Wine Brownies #SundaySupperMy Profile

3. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom December 15, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Absolutely lovely. I can’t think of any better appetizer than stuffed mushrooms. The flavor combo is perfect.
    Marjory @ Dinner-Mom recently posted..Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon for #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Lane @ Supper for a Steal December 15, 2013 at 5:14 am #

I love love love this dish! And I know I will be trying it soon. Stuffed portobellas make the best vegetarian dinner.

5. Hezzi-D December 15, 2013 at 6:07 am #

This looks amazing! I’m always looking for vegetarian meals and I love what you’ve stuffed these with. Yum!

6. Shannon @VillageGirlBlog December 15, 2013 at 6:09 am #

This is my kind of goodness! Love the cheese and wine combo with the hearty mushrooms. Yumm-0!

7. Lynda - TasteFood December 15, 2013 at 6:12 am #

Fantastic photo Susan! You’ve succeeded in making me very hungry at 6 a.m.!
    Lynda – TasteFood recently posted..Ginger Spiced Molasses CookiesMy Profile

8. Tammi @ Momma's Meals December 15, 2013 at 7:05 am #

I have no doubt that you’ve accomplished your dilemma with this dish! Happy Holidays!

9. Family Foodie December 15, 2013 at 8:20 am #

What a beautiful dish with photography that has me drooling. It is so true that Holidays are all about the food and traditions! So glad you are part of our #SundaySupper Family!
    Family Foodie recently posted..Special Holiday Recipes | Moscato Stone Crab Scampi #SundaySupperMy Profile

10. Wendy December 15, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Yum…always looking for a great dish for my veg SIL to enjoy when we host dinner. Pinned this one!
    Wendy recently posted..Memorable Holiday Meals and Traditions #SundaySupper with @GalloFamily Vineyards…Featuring Cabernet-Shallot Mushroom CheeseburgersMy Profile

11. Heather // girlichef December 15, 2013 at 8:23 am #

This sounds like a wonderful veggie main dish – filling and loaded with flavor!
    Heather // girlichef recently posted..Mandarin Spice Mulled Wine #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. Rosa December 15, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Oh, Susan! So fabulous!

13. Gallo Family Vineyards December 15, 2013 at 9:29 am #

To our #SundaySupper friends and family: Our sincere apologies, but we seem to be experiencing some issues with our $2 off savings. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely that this issue will be resolved before our #SundaySupper chat later today. Once we are able to get the offer back up and running, we’ll be sure to let all of our #SundaySupper readers know. Again, we are so sorry! –Alexis

14. Alida December 15, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Everything about this dish sounds just delicious. You’ve taken stuffed mushrooms to a whole new level! :)
    Alida recently posted..Red Wine Chocolate Cake #SundaySupperMy Profile

15. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious December 15, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Cabernet onions, cabernet onions, cabernet onions. I just like saying that!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Red Wine Risotto for #SundaySupper and Christmas DinnerMy Profile

16. lizthechef December 15, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Lovely recipe, one that I will definitely make – Larry can have a lamb chop with his…
    lizthechef recently posted..Christmas Cranberry ChutneyMy Profile

17. Constance @FoodieArmyWife December 15, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Oh Susan, these stuffed mushrooms are simply gorgeous.
    Constance @FoodieArmyWife recently posted..Fettuccine with Italian Sausage and Mascarpone | #SundaySupperMy Profile

18. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips December 15, 2013 at 10:31 am #

This is totally my kind of meal!!
    Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted..Lemon White Wine Green Beans & Mushrooms for #SundaySupper with @GalloFamilyMy Profile

19. Cindys Recipes and Writings December 15, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Susan your stuffed mushrooms are a hit with me!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Pomegranate Spinach Salad #TheSaladBarMy Profile

20. cathy December 15, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

What a great idea for a vegetarian dish with a meaty taste plus the great flavors of Gallo Family Wine — thanks Susan!

21. Bea December 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Susan these look absolutely out of this world. I would love to have one of those on my plate right now :)
    Bea recently posted..Moscato Orange Chicken with Olives for #SundaySupperMy Profile

22. The Hungry Mum December 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Mushrooms are one of my very favourite vegies – they are so substantial. This dish looks wonderful.
    The Hungry Mum recently posted..Christmas cookie recipe swap – how to make a healthier version of no-bake chocolate cracklesMy Profile

23. Amy Kim December 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

This looks AMAZING. Love the cabernet onions which could be an accompaniment for a lot of things! Great recipe!

24. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere December 17, 2013 at 6:47 am #

This is making my tummy rumble! I need to find some portabellas!
    Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Tuscan Style Seafood and Bread Stew for the Feast of Seven FishesMy Profile

25. apuginthekitchen December 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

I love portabello’s I think I would take this dish over a steak any day, So rich and meaty. I love how you prepared these. I will be making them!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Pandoro Bread PuddingMy Profile

26. mjskit December 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

What a great post Susan! I can’t imagine the challenge of designing and making a vegetarian holiday meal. I’m very thankful that I don’t have to. :) Love your salad! Lots of flavors and deliciousness.
    Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!
    mjskit recently posted..Twinkle Light Parade Albuquerque 2013My Profile

27. Kaylie @ Skinny Muffin January 7, 2014 at 7:54 am #

This looks amazing. I’m a vegetarian, too, and it has forced me to like portobello mushrooms. Now I LOVE them. And gorgonzola is so decadent and delicious. Almost like a feisty cheese that would make the best companion in this dish. Can’t wait to try this!!
    Kaylie @ Skinny Muffin recently posted..Rice, Bean and Kale BurritoMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 7, 2014 at 9:29 am #

Exaaactly. I would never have tried portobellas on my own. I just not a big mushroom girl at all. But now I love them too. I have them almost every week right now. I hope you like this dish! And welcome to my blog :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Sweet Endings: Chocolatey Chocolate BrowniesMy Profile

28. Terra January 11, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

You know were my mind went? I totally want to grill this recipe, it would be a perfect grilling recipe:-) I love that you used Gorgonzola, it must be an awesome flavor combo! Beautiful! Hugs, Terra