ROASTED STRAWBERRIES WITH RICOTTA CHEESE AND HONEY

Easy appetizer of roasted strawberries over a spread of ricotta and goat cheeses, and drizzled with honey.

Roasted Strawberries drizzled with honey, ricotta and goat cheese, appetizer, Ask Miss A

It’s so easy to throw some fun cheeses, crackers and olives in my cart at the grocery, that by the time I make the dessert, and prepare the meal for a party, the appetizer often falls through the cracks of my party planning. When friends ask what they can bring when coming to dinner, ‘appetizer!’ is the first think I think of. I’ve never thought the appetizers very important, I guess. But I’m starting to re-think this.

Here’s why.

It introduces the meal, a prelude for the symphony to come.

It sets the tone for the party.

It gives people who might be meeting for the first time, something to share together.

And in the spring and summer with fruits showing up at all the farmer’s markets, it can be a fun way to feature something simple paired with some fresh cheese.

Here’s an appetizer I created using the Roasted Strawberries I posted yesterday. It’s barely a recipe; it’s that easy, and can be served alternatively as dessert. It’s perfect for entertaining as the strawberries can be roasted the day before, and the cheese mixture whipped up in a bowl and placed in the refrigerator until about 15 minutes before guests arrive. So If you’re planning a brunch or party this weekend, set this showstopper out for a nibble, and chill a couple of bottles of Lillet for sipping.

Roasted Strawberries with Ricotta Cheese and Honey
  • Roasted strawberries
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 Tbsp herbed chevre (soft goat cheese)
  • lemon zest from 2 lemons
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • Honey for drizzling
  • Your favorite crackers
  • Fresh mint
  1. Make the roasted strawberries.
  2. Whip together the cheeses, lemon zest, and salt in a medium bowl using a fork. The cheese should be quite smooth, easy for spreading on crackers.
  3. Spread the crackers with the cheese mixture, and top with the roasted strawberries. Sprinkle a little mint on top and drizzle with honey.

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Roasted Strawberries with Ricotta Cheese and Honey” Subscribe

1. Rosemary June 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

ok, you’ve got me convinced! I need to try these roasted berries :)

2. Erika June 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Ahhhh!! Just wanted to say that that is a STUNNING photo. Those strawberries! So photogenic! And such a delicious-sounding recipe, can’t wait to check it out!!

3. apuginthekitchen June 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Looks so good, those berries are just beautiful. You are so right about appetizers, they are a very important part of the whole experience.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Fantastic Salad- Recipe From A Friend And A Beef ContestMy Profile

4. apuginthekitchen June 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Honestly, I am so guilty of avoiding appetizers and you have reminded me not only how wonderful they are, this recipe especially but how important they are, I do the same if people ask what they can bring first thing out of my mouth is appetizer,

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

And I can tell you that when I asked my friend to bring an appetizer, I had the distinct impression that she would rather have brought anything else. I think a lot of us are in the same boat, even with all the cookbooks out there dedicated to appetizers!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Roasted Strawberries and Honey Ricotta on CrackersMy Profile

5. TasteFood June 6, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Heaven on a cracker is what I say.
    TasteFood recently posted..Strawberry Rhubarb CobblerMy Profile

6. Wendy Read June 6, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

Gorgeous Photo!!! I love the look of this and our strawberry season has come and gone (December thru April). This is pinned for next season :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Thanks Wendy! Your season starts and ends earlier than ours with your gorgeous winter Florida weather. We’re still in season through this month, and if it’s cool but sunny along the coast, it can even last a little longer than that.

7. mjskit June 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Oh YUM! This looks heavenly!!!!
    mjskit recently posted..Our Favorite Grilled Halibut RecipeMy Profile

8. Lilly Sue June 17, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Yum! I like this fun appetizer idea :)