Deviled eggs all classed up with smoked trout, perfect for your next picnic! Champagne optional.
The weather is warming up here in the Bay Area, and we’re officially in the first holiday weekend I associate with summer. To celebrate, this week’s theme for Sunday Supper is picnics, and for me a picnic isn’t a picnic without deviled eggs.
I wanted to add some heat to this classic, and stirred in some horseradish along with a couple of pinches of cayenne pepper. Both are optional. I mixed everything together and piped the filling into the egg cavities, and classed them up with a topping of peppered smoked trout. You don’t have to pop open a bottle of champagne to enjoy these little guys though. They go just as well with lemonade. I should note that as a nod to a healthier version than the traditional ones with mayonnaise, I substituted plain yogurt.
I didn’t have Greek yogurt on hand, but if that’s your preference, no worries, go ahead and use it. Créme Fraiche would work too, or sour cream, as both go great with smoked trout. But yogurt will be your healthiest, lowest fat version.
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup yogurt (I used full fat)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon spring garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon Dijon country mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- few grinds of black pepper
- smoked trout
- handful of microgreens
- Place the eggs in a large pot and fill the pot with enough water to cover the eggs by one to two inches. Bring to a simmer, but not a full boil in order to avoid cracking the eggs. Simmer for two minutes. Remove from the heat and cover the pot for 12 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the hot water and immerse them in cold water. Peel under cold running water, and slice in half.
- Pull the white part of the egg gently aware from the yolk and remove the yolks into a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the microgreens and smoked trout. Stir with a fork until as smooth as possible.
- Spoon the egg mixture into a piping bag fitted with a piping tip, and scrape the filling towards the tip.
- Hold the bag with both hands and squeeze the filling through the tip into the cavities of the eggs.
- Top with pieces of smoked trout and a sprinkle of microgreens.
And now, go see what else the #SundaySupper group is bringing to the picnic. And have a very wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!
Salads and Slaws:
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Spam Musubi from Kimchi Mom
Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Check back on Sunday for all the recipes! You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.Pin It