The weather is warming up here in the Bay Area, and we’re officially in the first holiday weekend I associate with summer. To celebrate, this week’s theme for Sunday Supper is picnics, and for me a picnic isn’t a picnic without deviled eggs.

I wanted to add some heat to this classic, and stirred in some horseradish along with a couple of pinches of cayenne pepper. Both are optional.  I mixed everything together and piped the filling into the egg cavities, and classed them up with a topping of peppered smoked trout. You don’t have to pop open a bottle of champagne to enjoy these little guys though. They go just as well with lemonade. I should note that as a nod to a healthier version than the traditional ones with mayonnaise, I substituted plain yogurt.

smoked trout deviled eggs, picnic, easy entertaining, recipe

I didn’t have Greek yogurt on hand, but if that’s your preference, no worries, go ahead and use it. Créme Fraiche would work too, or sour cream, as both go great with smoked trout. But yogurt will be your healthiest, lowest fat version.

5.0 from 1 reviews

deviled eggs with smoke trout, horseradish, for a picnic, recipe, easy entertaining#SundaySupper: Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8

Classed up version of deviled eggs with smoked trout. Perfect for any picnic. Champagne optional.
  • 8 large eggs
  • ⅓ cup yogurt (I used full fat)
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
  • 1 tablespoon spring garlic
  • 2 teaspoons fresh dill
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon country mustard
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
  • few grinds of black pepper
  • smoked trout
  • handful of microgreens
  1. Place the eggs in a large pot and fill the pot with enough water to cover the eggs by one to two inches. Bring to a simmer, but not a full boil in order to avoid cracking the eggs. Simmer for two minutes. Remove from the heat and cover the pot for 12 minutes.
  2. Remove the eggs from the hot water and immerse them in cold water. Peel under cold running water, and slice in half.
  3. Pull the white part of the egg gently aware from the yolk and remove the yolks into a bowl. Mash with a fork.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients except the microgreens and smoked trout. Stir with a fork until as smooth as possible.
  5. Spoon the egg mixture into a piping bag fitted with a piping tip, and scrape the filling towards the tip.
  6. Hold the bag with both hands and squeeze the filling through the tip into the cavities of the eggs.
  7. Top with pieces of smoked trout and a sprinkle of microgreens.
Notes
Creme fraiche or sour cream can be substituted for the yogurt, or mayonnaise for more traditional deviled eggs.

Sunday Supper Movement

And now, go see what else the #SundaySupper group is bringing to the picnic. And have a very wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

Salads and Slaws:

Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina

Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite

Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven

Cold Pea Salad  from Shockingly Delicious

Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles

German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food

Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker

Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife

Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama

Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days

Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands

Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.

Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian

Spam Musubi from Kimchi Mom

Desserts:

Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots

Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP

Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen

Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie

Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen

Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?

Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey

Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles

Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love

Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood

Drinks:

Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef

Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel

Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog

Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked

Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog

Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes

Check back on Sunday for all the recipes! You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.

Tags: , , , , ,

32 Responses to “#SundaySupper: Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs” Subscribe

1. The Ninja Baker May 26, 2013 at 3:04 am #

Horseradish and yogurt are such great ideas! It’s like the V-8 commercial bumping of the forehead moment – Why didn’t I think of that?

The accent with the smoked trout, I imagine is wonderful, too.

Thank you, Susan for this very elegant and perfect for a picnic or cocktail party recipe =)

2. CCU May 26, 2013 at 3:13 am #

Honestly, devilled eggs have never looked so classy before, I love the idea of adding dish to them! Simply gorgeous :)

CCU
    CCU recently posted..Lotsa Choc-Chip LoveMy Profile

3. Katy May 26, 2013 at 3:41 am #

I love devilled eggs, and yours look delicious! Thank you for sharing :)
    Katy recently posted..Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche for #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Stacy May 26, 2013 at 5:22 am #

Champagne is never optional at our house. Most special occasions demand it, and deviled eggs. Yours look wonderful! I love the pretty micro-greens heaped in the middle!
    Stacy recently posted..Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting for #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Renee May 26, 2013 at 6:07 am #

I’m afraid these eggs wouldn’t make it to the picnic. I may or may not accidentally leave them behind and then be forced to eat them all by myself later. Ahem.
    Renee recently posted..Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich for #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Jen @JuanitasCocina May 26, 2013 at 6:42 am #

It’s the horseradish in these that has sent me over the edge! YUM!
    Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Bacon Ranch Potato Salad ~ Picnic #SundaySupper!My Profile

7. apuginthekitchen May 26, 2013 at 6:51 am #

I love deviled eggs and your elegant lower fat version is terrific. Especially love the smoked trout garnish. Delicious!! Have a great holiday.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..VOTE For My Chocolate Hazelnut Raspberry Bars Please!!My Profile

8. Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom May 26, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Susan! I love this! what a great idea to add smoked trout! and what a BEAUTIFUL presentation . . I really love this!
    Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Kale Pasta Salad for a Picnic #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Amanda @ Marocmama May 26, 2013 at 9:15 am #

This is something my husband would devour. Thanks for the idea!

10. Liz May 26, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Such a gorgeous presentation, Susan! And I love the idea of topping deviled eggs with smoked trout…delish!
    Liz recently posted..Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream #SundaySupper #MemorialDay #PicnicMy Profile

11. Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) May 26, 2013 at 10:46 am #

So amazing! Deviled eggs are my one of my favorites. I love the heat contrasting the creamy egg and complemented with the salty, smoky trout. All flavors that I love.
    Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) recently posted..Two Words: Spam Musubi #SundaySupper #PicnicMy Profile

12. Cindys Recipes and Writings May 26, 2013 at 10:47 am #

I love smoked trout with horseradish and sour cream. It sounds like a great addition to deviled eggs!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage for #SundaySupperMy Profile

13. Diana @GourmetDrizzles May 26, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!! Beautiful photos, fantastic recipe, and those microgreens are such an elegant touch!

14. Megan @ I Run For Wine May 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

I love this twist on deviled eggs. Your photos are beautiful. YUM!!

15. Tara May 26, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Perfect deviled eggs!! Your photos are amazing too!!
    Tara recently posted..Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken for #SundaySupperMy Profile

16. kathia Rodriguez May 26, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

I really going to try this one, so good.
    kathia Rodriguez recently posted..Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants #SundaySupperMy Profile

17. Sarah Reid, CNP (@jo_jo_ba) May 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

So elegant! Delish
    Sarah Reid, CNP (@jo_jo_ba) recently posted..Nathan’s Cookies for a #SundaySupper PicnicMy Profile

18. Shannon @VillageGirlBlog May 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

I love deviled eggs! They are one of my favorites and your are so creative! I love the Dijon mustard and the micro-greens!
    Shannon @VillageGirlBlog recently posted..Spaghetti Salad for a #SundaySupper PicnicMy Profile

19. Martin D. Redmond May 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

What a great twist on deviled eggs. Love your recipe!
    Martin D. Redmond recently posted..Top 10 Wines For Picnic #SundaySupperMy Profile

20. Camille @ Growing Up Gabel May 26, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Oh boy I think my husband would love these with smoked salmon! What a great idea!

21. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes May 27, 2013 at 5:09 am #

A picnic is not complete without deviled eggs Susan. Love the addition of horseradish! I´m always looking for ways to use it, and I do love eggs in any form. Love this recipe.
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Loaded Butterscotch Bars #SundaySupperMy Profile

22. The Squishy Monster May 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Thank you for this inspiration! I never thought to add smoked meat to deviled eggs…amazing!

23. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons May 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

This is, perhaps, the most beautiful deviled egg presentation I’ve ever seen! I would DEFINITELY have champagne with these :)
    Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted..grilled chicken sandwiches with green goddess sauce #sundaysupperMy Profile

24. Nancy @ gottagetbaked May 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Susan, your photos are simply beautiful! And great spicy kick to the deviled eggs. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love eggs – I woud eat more of these than is good for me. A tall glass of champagne would be perfect to wash these down with.

25. Jennie May 28, 2013 at 7:58 am #

How creative. I love the addition of smoked trout. Yum!
    Jennie recently posted..Strawberry-Basil Lemonade: Spiked or Unspiked ~ #SundaySupperMy Profile

26. Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes May 28, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Oh my goodness. Yes please. The smoked trout sounds amazing and looks so pretty sitting on top of these. Deviled eggs are one of my weaknesses. THESE ARE AMAZING!

27. Family Foodie May 28, 2013 at 11:05 am #

My daughter and I love deviled eggs. The addition of smoked trout would be amazing! Your deviled eggs look great.
    Family Foodie recently posted..Family Friendly Summer Vacation in Florida | South Seas Island ResortMy Profile

28. Susan May 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

These are the prettiest deviled eggs I’ve seen Susan! I bet they taste great too.

29. mjskit May 28, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

I have a “little bit” of smoked salmon leftover from supper tonight and these eggs topped with the salmon would make a perfect lunch. What a great way to step the deviled egg up a notch or two. Thanks for sharing this!
    mjskit recently posted..A Simple Snack with Apples, Walnuts and RaisinsMy Profile

30. Katie May 29, 2013 at 6:20 am #

I’ve never tried deviled eggs with smoked trout before – sounds really interesting!
    Katie recently posted..A tour of the gardenMy Profile

31. Hannah May 30, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Susan, these eggs sound sublime! I could happily eat a platter of them. Love the added horseradish and the smoked trout is inspired. I’m saving this to make for one of my son’s graduation gatherings – deviled eggs are one of his favorites. Thanks for sharing!
    Hannah recently posted..Cherry Mint ShrubMy Profile

32. Soni May 31, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Oh love the cayenne in there!Nice to enjoy tasty Deviled Eggs with a hint of heat in the background!!Smoked Trout and Horseradish also sound great!So Yumm!!
    Soni recently posted..Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks #SundaySupperMy Profile