how to slow roast tomatoes, balsamic roasted tomatoes, SundaySupper, The Wimpy Vegetarian, recipe

This may not feel like much of a recipe to you, but this is one of my star kitchen staples these days. Frankly I need all the shortcuts I can find, with my time being gulped down by the gallon between remodeling a condo we recently bought a short brisk walk from Lake Tahoe, and packing to move to a much smaller home we’re buying just outside San Francisco. To be honest, it’s not that I might have some of my husband’s meat-centric dinner if I’m not organized. No, if I’m not prepared with a pantry of ingredients like these roasted tomatoes, I’ll be tempted to just have cookies for dinner.

Change is both exciting and sad. One part of me is brimming with anticipation of the new, my mind overflowing with ideas of how the furniture may (or may not) fit into our new digs. But there’s a strand of  sadness woven into the excitement as my fingers relax their grip on a home full of memories. Change is inevitable.

This week’s theme for Sunday Supper is Cooking Low and Slow, hosted by one of my favorites bloggers, Susan at the Girl in the Little Red Kitchen blog. You may think this a theme best suited to cold, snowy winter nights; short ribs cooking all day until heavy meat melts from thick, blunt bones into a thick tomato-wine sauce. But I beg to differ.

I slow roast various foods year round, like these roasted tomatoes. I confess I even buy tomatoes out of season (please don’t hate me) specifically for roasting, as it’s a great way to use tomatoes that lack the in-season juiciness perfect for middle-of-August tomato sandwiches. I roast these beauties, all laid out basted in oil, in an oven using low heat for several hours. While I do the laundry, putter in the garden, and paint the house, the tomatoes gradually thicken with intensified flavor. OK, maybe I don’t have time to paint the house while they’re roasting away, but you get the picture. The result is a hearty tomato-meatiness perfect for pizza, whole grains dishes, and bruschetta. I pack them in a container with fresh thyme twigs and additional olive oil, and put them in the refrigerator until I need them.

A Few Cooking Notes:

I roast my tomatoes for a long time at a low heat. It’s certainly possible to roast them for a shorter time at a higher heat, but the tomatoes don’t seem to thicken up in the same way for the meatiness I want.

The roasting time will vary, according to the juiciness of the tomatoes. I roast mine until they look like the photo: puckered and browned around the edges, the cavities still moist with a very small amount of liquid in them.

The balsamic drizzle is optional, but adds to the meaty, rich flavor I look for.

Here are some dishes to use these intense tomatoes in that you can find on my blog:

Umbrian Lentil Sauté with Roasted Balsamic Tomatoes

• Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 10 twigs fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 300˚ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Wash and dry the tomatoes, and slice them in half, horizontally. Lay them, face up, on the parchment paper. drizzle the oil over them, allowing oil to drizzle onto the parchment paper.

Sprinkle the tomato halves with salt, pepper and the dried thyme.

Roast for four hours. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes, and allow to cool.

Pack into a container and lay the fresh thyme twigs across them. Pour all of the excess oli from the parchment paper, now essentially a tomato oil, onto the top and add about 1 tablespoon of additional olive oil.

Store in the refrigerator for up to one month. They can also be frozen for at least six months. They can probably be frozen for longer, but I haven’t personally done it. I eat them up too fast. :-).

Sunday Supper Movement
And now, go check out all the wonderful Low and Slow Cooking recipes from the rest of the Sunday Supper group!

Low & Slow Breads & Starters:

Asiago Meatballs from Daily Dish Recipes

Slow Cooker Bread: Easy Dinner Rolls from Growing Up Gabel

Low & Slow Mains:

Apricot-Mustard Baked Ham from Healthy.Delicious.

Braniya {Lamb and Eggplant Tajine} from MarocMama

Sweet Pork from Table for Seven

Low & Slow Sides:

Caramelized Garlic in the Crock-Pot from Shockingly Delicious

Slow Roasted Balsamic Tomatoes from The Wimpy Vegetarian

Low & Slow Desserts:

8-hour Cheesecake with Roasted Grapes (gluten free) from Vintage Kitchen

Gluten Free Slow Cooker Glazed Cinnamon Coffee Cake from Blueberries and Blessings

Slow-Cooked Gooey Pina Colada Cake from Juanita’s Cocina

Slow Cooker Pineapple Coconut Rice Pudding from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz

Wine Pairing Recommendations for Low & Slow Food from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter Sunday to discuss cooking low and slow! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “#SundaySupper: Roasted Balsamic Tomatoes” Subscribe

1. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes May 19, 2013 at 3:16 am #

Roasted tomatoes can save so many recipes Susan. The flavor is unsurpassed and the touch of balsamic is a great addition, will try it. Nice picture!
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..8 Hour Cheesecake with Roasted Grapes #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Choc Chip Uru May 19, 2013 at 3:36 am #

Good luck on your move my friend, it will be a big change but I know you will enjoy the experience!
    Lovely roasted tomatoes today!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Time To Get Beautiful!My Profile

3. Renee May 19, 2013 at 4:21 am #

I can’t wait to see how you use these tomatoes this coming week. They look so good and what a fabulous way to use the out-of-season not-so-great tomatoes in the store.
    Renee recently posted..Sauerbraten for #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Cindys Recipes May 19, 2013 at 5:05 am #

I never thought about roasting tomatoes this time of year, great idea, Susan!
    Cindys Recipes recently posted..Pork and Sauerkraut Sandwiches for #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Susan May 19, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I love slow roasted tomatoes! The sweetness they bring out is amazing. It also makes an awesome sauce!
    Susan recently posted..Italian Sunday Gravy #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Jen @JuanitasCocina May 19, 2013 at 6:24 am #

Slow Roasted Tomatoes = food of the gods!
    Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Slow-Cooked Gooey Pina Colada Cake ~ Low & Slow #SundaySupper!My Profile

7. Julia May 19, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Delicious! These roasted tomatoes look perfect and so full of flavor. Great Sunday Supper you put together!!
    Julia recently posted..Mediterranean Quinoa SaladMy Profile

8. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 19, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Roasted tomatoes are my favorite! What a great dish!!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Minestrone Soup #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. lapadia May 19, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Love it…These look beautiful and sound delish!
    lapadia recently posted..Coco-Nutty JumbleMy Profile

10. apuginthekitchen May 19, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Very exciting times, congratulations on the homes. These delicious tomatoes are wonderful to have on hand. So simple to make and so many uses.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..VOTE For My Chocolate Hazelnut Raspberry Bars Please!!My Profile

11. Amanda @ MarocMama May 19, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I loooove balsamic vinegar and tomatoes raw so I can’t imagine how much better this is going to be cooked – but I will be trying it very soon.

12. Chris Baccus May 19, 2013 at 10:29 am #

So much is right with this recipe. What a great combo and so many options of how to use roasted tomatoes for a complete meal.
    Chris Baccus recently posted..Texas Brisket for #SundaySupperMy Profile

13. Hezzi-D May 19, 2013 at 10:41 am #

I’m sure the tomatoes taste awesome after they’ve been roasting and with the balsamic. I need to try this soon!
    Hezzi-D recently posted..French Dip Sandwiches #SundaySupperMy Profile

14. Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite May 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

This is such an incredible idea. I can think of so many uses for these tasty tomatoes
    Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite recently posted..Slow Cooker Chana Masala #SundaySupperMy Profile

15. Diana @GourmetDrizzles May 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

These are incredible, Susan! I adore anything with balsamic, and something about a slow roasted tomato, schmeared on bruschetta, or to flavor roasted veggies- I’m in. Good luck on your move, too. Sending good thoughts your way as you go through lots of new changes and feelings about it all! ;-)

16. Amy @ swiss miss in the kitchen May 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Wow!! Your roasted tomatoes look delicious!! Perfect for summer season!! Love the added thyme! :)

17. Erin @ Table for 7 May 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

What a beautiful photo! These sound amazing!!
    Erin @ Table for 7 recently posted..Crock Pot Sweet Pork #SundaySupperMy Profile

18. Katy May 19, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Those tomatoes look absolutely beautiful! Good luck with all the big changes!
    Katy recently posted..Rice, Bean and Vegetable Casserole for #SundaySupperMy Profile

19. Tara May 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Your tomatoes are stunning!! Life can throw us some curve balls for sure but I have always said change is good. Our house is up for sale right now and I am ready for it!!
    Tara recently posted..Dry Rubbed Smoked Back Ribs for Low and Slow #SundaySupperMy Profile

20. Robin May 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

I roast everything else, why not tomatoes! I’ll have to wait a bit as we just recently put in the garden starts, but I’ll keep this in mind. We too will be moving to a smaller house in about 2 years. I have to say, I can’t wait. Less space, less cleaning.
    Robin recently posted..Friday Feature: Avocado 10 WaysMy Profile

21. Tammi @ Momma's Meals May 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

I love balsamic and I love tomatoes! This is a MUST try for me! Thanks for sharing!

22. sunithi May 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

Gorgeous ! Can’t believe you made this in a slow cooker ! They looks so colorful. Can’t wait to make this ! I would just eat it plain !
    sunithi recently posted..Pineapple Coconut Rice Pudding With Saffron #SundaySupperMy Profile

23. Debra May 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

I would eat this like candy!
    Debra recently posted..Heirloom Bean Burrito with Goat Cheese and Romesco SauceMy Profile

24. mjskit May 19, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Oh YUM! Now I just need to find some decent tomatoes. Looks delicious!
    mjskit recently posted..Chipotle Grits with Feta CheeseMy Profile

25. Liz May 20, 2013 at 2:46 am #

I’ve made something similar and they are SO good!!! I think I need to whip up another batch :)
    Liz recently posted..Black Bean and Avocado Salsa…#SecretRecipeClubMy Profile

26. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere May 20, 2013 at 4:00 am #

These sound amazing! I’m hoping we have a large tomato harvest this year so I can try this!
    Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Crock Pot Italian Beef #SundaySupperMy Profile

27. Martin D. Redmond May 20, 2013 at 5:52 am #

What a great recipe, and I love tomatoes and balsamic! Good luck with the move!
    Martin D. Redmond recently posted..Wine Pairing Recommendations For Low and Slow Food #SundaySupperMy Profile

28. Family Foodie May 20, 2013 at 10:07 am #

I love balsamic with fresh tomatoes, so I’m sure it is just as tasty on top of these slow roasted tomatoes. This looks heavenly. Good luck with your move!
    Family Foodie recently posted..Easy Weekday Supper Recipes #WeekdaySupperMy Profile

29. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons May 20, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Yum, I bet these would be GREAT on top of some mac and cheese! Good luck with the move and remodel. Whew, that’s a lot to take on at once!
    Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted..monday morning musings – vegan before 6 and girly footballMy Profile

30. collinite July 19, 2013 at 6:12 am #

Hi would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re using? I’ve loaded your
    blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.

Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a
    fair price? Kudos, I appreciate it!
    collinite recently posted..colliniteMy Profile