Fluffy pancakes made with corn flour and loaded with blackberries for a special breakfast.
This week’s theme for #SundaySupper is Mother’s Day, hosted by Heather Lynn at the wonderful Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks blog. My thoughts immediately flew to pancakes. But not for breakfast. Pancakes for me means breakfast for dinner.
Breakfast for dinner conjures up quiet suppers, all snuggled into the den sofa in my jammies after a long day. And it brings back childhood memories of my mom’s special dinner for just the two of us. Pancakes wasn’t a proper dinner in my dad’s view, meat needed to be the main event for him, so breakfast for dinner was reserved for those nights he was traveling for business. As soon as he was out the door, swinging his suitcase into the trunk of the car, mom would catch my eye with a conspiratorial look, and I laughed, knowing what treat was in store for dinner that night. On those nights, she would break her firm rule of no TV on a school night, and we’d curl up together in her bed with our pancakes, bacon and syrup and feel decadent for a night.
Even today, so many years after her passing, this simple meal recaptures that bond, and the sweet memory of our special dinners together. Happy Mother’s Day, mom.
Blackberry Cornbread Stacks
- 3/4 cup (3.375 ounces) corn flour
- 1/2 cup (2.25 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup blackberries
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, and chia seeds, if using them, in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, apple sauce, olive oil and lemon zest into a smooth batter.
- Break the egg into a small bowl with the yolk intact. Carefully reach under the egg with your fingers and remove the yolk, allowing the white of the egg to slide back into the bowl through your fingers. Be careful not to break the yolk, and place it in the batter. Whisk it thorough into the batter.
- Whip the egg whites to a froth. Add a pinch of salt and whip on high speed until the whites form soft peaks. Add the whipped whites to the batter and fold them in with a rubber spatula. The best way to do this is by cutting through the whites with the spatula, scooping up the batter over the whites and turning the bowl a quarter after each swipe through the whites. You should have small chunks of whipped whites when you're done.
- Carefully fold the fresh blackberries into the batter.
- Heat a griddle over medium low heat and slick the surface with a little butter. Pour the batter on the griddle in ¼ cup disks. Cook for five minutes on one side, or until the edges of the pancakes begins to firm. Small air bubble may form on the surfaces. Flip with a metal spatula and cook for another 3 minutes.
And now go check out the rest of our Mother’s Day feast!
Mother’s Day Brunch:
Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet