coconut chocolate truffles recipe with creamy strawberry jam decadent

It’s time for another SundaySupper and it’s all about Valentine’s Day. I went traditional with chocolate, how could I not? And I settled on truffles. It’s been way too long since I’ve made them.

Truffles are show-stoppers. Decadent, hard chocolate shells protecting luxuriant, silky centers. When I was in school, I was lucky enough to attend a few of Alice Medrich’s chocolate classes when she guest chef-ed one week. I’m not sure anyone knows more than she does about chocolate, and I warn you, chocolate is not known for being forgiving. She has rules. And if you don’t follow them, it’s not pretty.

Some Chocolate Rules:

Always melt chocolate in a bain-marie. A bain-marie is a bowl that is placed over simmering or hot water; a warm bath, in other words. When the chocolate starts to melt, remove the bowl from the water. Yes, you can live on the edge with shortcuts like the microwave, and I have. I’ve also melted chocolate in a pan, sans bain-marie, and have, on occasion, helplessly watched it seize up into an ugly, mottled mass. This usually happens when I’ve run out of chocolate, and have to run to the store to buy more to finish the recipe. The bain-marie is the only fool-proof method I can swear by.

Be careful not to sprinkle the melted chocolate with any water. A lot of water is fine, but a sprinkle can be fatal and cause chunks of chocolate to form, and the surface of the chocolate can turn an unappealing dull gray.

For dipping the truffle centers, the temperature of the dipping chocolate is the single most important key to getting a successful shell coating. The ideal temperature is anywhere between 100 degrees F and 105 degrees F. Warmer than 105 degrees F will melt the frozen creamy center, making it impossible to work with. Cooler than 100 degrees F will harden the shell too fast, preventing a consistent shell thickness and surface texture.

Assuming you’re not working with tempered chocolate, the chocolate powder dusting at the end is to dress up the truffle surface. Tempering contributes to a shiny surface. You can get a shiny surface with untempered chocolate by adding oil or butter, but that can change the hardening characteristics. I was deliberately going after a hard shell to enclose a very, very creamy center, and didn’t want to take any chances.

Decadent Chocolate – Coconut (Super) Creamy Truffles with Strawberry Jam

Adapted from Alice Medich’s Cold Creamy Cocolat Style Truffles

Makes 20 large truffles

Truffle Centers

• 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 4 tablespoons your favorite strawberry jam
  • 2 teaspoons ground cardamom

Truffle Shell

• 16 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Truffle Centers (Chocolate Ganache)

Bring the coconut milk to almost a simmer over medium – high heat. Place the chocolate chips in a large bowl and pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate all at once.

Using a rubber spatula, gently stir until the chocolate is completely melted and combined with the coconut milk in one smooth, creamy mixture. Stir in the strawberry jam and cardamom. The key movement is slow and easy – whisking it will make the centers more cake-y instead of creamy — a tip I learned in a class I took from the chocolate Queen, Alice Medrich.

Strain the chocolate mixture through a fine metal strainer into an 8″ X 8″ baking pan, and cover it with plastic. Freeze for three to four hours.

These are very, very creamy centers, which makes them more of a challenge to form. Methods for forming the centers range from ice-cream scoopers, to wearing thin latex gloves and forming them by hand, to using two spoons. I’ve tried them all, but prefer the two spoons approach combined with the latex gloves.

The first step is to put several spoons in the freezer to get them really, really cold to prevent the chocolate from melting on contact. Then I line a tray that can fit in my freezer with parchment paper.

Remove the ganache from the freezer and be prepared to work quickly before the chocolate softens. Once it starts to soften, slide it back into the freezer.

Using one cold spoon, scoop up the amount of ganache you want for your centers. Cup another cold spoon over the chocolate and smooth the surface to round it, scooping under it to transfer it from the first spoon to the second. It should now be in the shape of a quenelle. Using a combination of the first spoon and latex gloved hands, shape the ganache into a domed shape of a truffle.

As the spoons warm up, you may need to switch to colder spoons reserved in the freezer. Be prepared for a little frustration as it takes a few to get a pattern down.

Place on a parchment lined tray that will fit into your freezer.

Cover the tray with foil and slide the truffle centers into the freezer for at least four hours.

Note: If you’re making these in advance, they can stay in the freezer overnight. Once they harden, you can place them in a sealed container and keep them frozen for up to two months.

Truffle Shells

When you’re ready to dip the centers, you’ll need to work fast, so first lay out the equipment you’ll need: a rubber spatula for stirring the chocolate; an instant read thermometer to read the temperature of the dipping chocolate; a small bowl containing the chocolate powder; a small sifter/strainer for the powder; a fresh tray lined with parchment for freshly dipped truffles; a large sauté pan of water; a shallow bowl containing the chocolate chips; and a dinner knife (not serrated).

Bring the water to a simmer in the sauté pan. Turn off the heat. Place the bowl filled with chocolate chips on the water. Using a spatula, occasionally stir the chocolate as it melts.

Once it’s melted, test the temperature with an instant read thermometer. When working with chocolate, temperature is EVERYTHING. When the temperature is between 100 degrees F and 105 degrees F, you’re ready to dip. If the chocolate is much more than 105 degrees, it will start to melt the truffle center, which isn’t that stable to begin with. If it’s much cooler than 100 degrees, it will freeze onto the truffle before you can smooth it the shape you desire. Once it cools too much, turn the stove burner on under the water for a few minutes to warm the water up again.

Dipping is another skill that will develop with practice. Just like making centers, there are a number of methods for dipping: spoons, gloved hands, and a dipping tool set. I used the combination of a knife and gloved hands:

Initially just take one truffle center out of the freezer at a time so that you don’t feel rushed. Remove the bowl of chocolate from the pan of water, drying the bottom of the bowl with a towel. Place the truffle in the bowl, and move it around the bowl with the knife, spreading the chocolate and turning it over with the knife. Lift it out of the chocolate with the knife under it and wipe off chocolate dripping down.

Using the knife, lower the truffle onto the tray freshly lined with parchment and gently lever the knife away.

Place some chocolate powder in the sifter and sift a little over the truffle.

Repeat with the rest. If necessary, refrigerate until the shells harden. Mine hardened within 15 or 20 seconds.

These truffles can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to two months.

Please check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper family is serving up for Valentine’s Day.  It’s not all about chocolate, so you may find everything you need for a great Valentine’s dinner for someone special.

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:

#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape:  A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats!  We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.  Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun.  Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.  Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!

Tags: , , ,

39 Responses to “#SundaySupper: Chocolate Coconut Creamy Truffles with Strawberry Jam” Subscribe

1. Rosemary February 10, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Susan – Beautiful written detail on making truffles. We shouldn’t fail with your instructions and tips! (but I don’t see where the cardamom goes in? Great idea with strawberries, chocolate and coconut.)

2. Amanda @ Marocmama February 10, 2013 at 9:45 am #

These look really wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing.

3. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips February 10, 2013 at 10:11 am #

I don’t usually like fruit in my chocolates, but the combo of chocolate, jam, and coconut in the filling sounds phenomenal!
    Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted..Individual Beef “Phyllingtons” for #ValentinesDay #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. apuginthekitchen February 10, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Such great and detailed instructions. I love truffles, made them only once and it was to repurpose some ganache. I am the one who tempers chocolate in a microwave most of the time, it usually works well although there have been a few disasters and you are so right chocolate is absolutely unforgiving, What a lovely Valentines day post, enjoy V Day, the lucky recipient of your truffles certainly will.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Rose Scented Pot de Creme #Bake TogetherMy Profile

5. Deb February 10, 2013 at 11:04 am #

What a marvelous treat for Valentine’s Day! Thank you for including instructions about working with chocolate. There definitely is a learning curve!

6. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 10, 2013 at 11:46 am #

The flavors are surprising Susan, and so tempting! Tempering chocolate is time consuming, but no coating is as shiny. Gorgeous truffles!

7. sunithi February 10, 2013 at 11:48 am #

OMG, these look decadently delish ! Love that you used coconut milk. Is it the canned kind which is thicker or the pack kind which is thinner ? Wanna try this. The strawberry jam inside must make it even more decadent ! Yummm
    sunithi recently posted..Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse With Coconut Cream #SundaySupperMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian February 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

I used the canned thicker kind. If you end up using the thinner, you might want to cut it back to 1 cup, but I honestly haven’t tried it. I should mention that the strawberry jam gives a hint of fruit, almost like the fruity overtones in the chocolate already. It doesn’t scream strawberry, although I’m still playing with that aspect of it :-) But decadent it is, to be sure!!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..#SundaySupper: Chocolate Coconut Creamy Truffles with Strawberry JamMy Profile

8. Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite February 10, 2013 at 11:54 am #

These look wonderful. And very clear instructions.

9. TasteFood February 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

How can anyone resist the phrase that includes supper, chocolate and truffles at once?
    TasteFood recently posted..Spiced Pear Tarte TatinMy Profile

10. Soni February 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Ooh love your truffles with Coconut Milk and strawberry jam sounds perfect for VDay!!Thanks for the instructions too!They’re very useful for somebody like me who’s really bad at making these kind of desserts :)
    Soni recently posted..Indian Shrimp Pulao for Valentine’s Day#SundaySupperMy Profile

11. Katy February 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

I love making truffles and these ones sound fabulous! I’ll have to try them soon!
    Katy recently posted..Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts for #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. Choc Chip Uru February 11, 2013 at 1:27 am #

What gooey delicious truffles :)

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..World Nutella Day 2013My Profile

13. Jennie February 11, 2013 at 5:43 am #

I just fainted. Seriously, these look amazing!

14. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere February 11, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Just pinned these truffle instructions. I’ve wanted to make truffles for a while, but have been pretty intimidated. I feel like I can’t fail with such great instructions here though!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian February 13, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Thanks Sarah! I hope the instruction help. The other thing that will help is just making them. Be prepared that the first few many not be perfect. But as you continue, it will get easier as you learn what works for you. These are pretty creamy centers, which makes them harder to work with. You might want to consider starting with 1/2 the coconut milk called for to make them easier to roll.

15. Amy Tong February 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

These truffles are simply divine! I love the hard shell contrast with the creamy center. Thanks for all the great tips in making these successfully. :) Can’t wait to make some of my own and share with my loved ones.

16. Norma Chang February 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Those truffles look sinfully good. Thanks for the detailed tutorial hopefully mine will turn out half as good looking as yours.
    Norma Chang recently posted: http://gardentowok.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/a-little-bit-of-chinese-lunar-calendar-facts-a-shrimp-recipe-kitchen-hint/

17. mjskit February 12, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

You’re killing me here Susan! These look SO yummy!!!! Happy Valentine’s Day!
    mjskit recently posted..Shrimp and GritsMy Profile

18. Hannah February 13, 2013 at 10:11 am #

All I can say, Susan, is YUM!! These are gorgeous little chocolate treats. Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Hannah recently posted..Cardamom-Scented Truffles for Valentine’s DayMy Profile

19. Cass @foodmyfriend February 14, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

These look incredible. What an awesome Valentines Day treat! You have out done yourself :)
    Cass @foodmyfriend recently posted..Meringue KissesMy Profile

20. Mary @ Fit and Fed February 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Yum! One of my sons is making truffles tonight (delayed Valentine’s project) and I just sent him these directions, they really give a good overview of the process! I’m jealous that you got to take classes from Alice Medrich, we have her Pure Dessert cookbook and love it!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Dark Chocolate-Dipped Frozen Banana with Cocoa NibsMy Profile

21. Lilly Sue February 20, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Oh wow these look AWESOME! I want one!! These sound so delicious :)
    Lilly Sue recently posted..Chocolate Chip BarsMy Profile