Perfect, easy breakfast for two: shirred eggs over garlicky swiss chard. Just don’t forget some bread to sop up the yolk.

Shirred Eggs Over Garlicky Swiss chard : The Wimpy Vegetarian

Even now when I’m *retired*, Sundays remain in my mind a day of complete relaxation. No commitments. Sleeping in and lazing in bed, followed by long cups of tea over the Sunday paper. A football game on in the background, snow falling gently outside.

OK, that’s not what’s happening this Sunday – that’s the Sunday of my childhood, and perhaps of my imagination. The reality is that I have a business meeting in the wine country today, holiday shopping with the masses, and then a rush to get to a dinner party with close friends. All fun, mind you, but there will be no time to laze in bed, let alone even read the paper.

Shirred Eggs lateral : The Wimpy Vegetarian

Ah well, there’s always next Sunday. And these shirred eggs will be on the menu. They’re perfect for a brunch, or just a lazy Sunday breakfast for two.

Shirred Eggs Over Garlicky Swiss Chard

Prep time:

Cook time:

Total time:

Serves: Serves 2

• 2 large bunches of Swiss chard (about 12 cups chopped without the stem)
  • 1½ cups water
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • pinch each dried red pepper flakes, salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
  • ⅔ cup coarsely grated Gruyere swiss cheese
  • Fresh thyme leaves
  1. Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
  2. Remove the stem and center vein of the Swiss chard, and either discard or save for another use. Chop the chard into bite sized pieces.
  3. Bring the water to a simmer in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chard and toss frequently as it wilts. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chard is tender. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
  4. In the same sauté pan, add the butter and olive oil. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic and spices. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until the garlic starts to turn golden. Add the chard and stir to combine. Sauté for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
  5. Separate the chard into 2 gratin pans, each of which are suitable for a single serving, and form two wells in each gratin large enough to accommodate the eggs.
  6. Crack the eggs into a bowl and slide them gently into the wells. The yolks should be intact and not broken.
  7. Divide the heavy whipping cream between the two gratins and pour over the top.
  8. Divide the cheese between the two gratins and sprinkle over the top.
  9. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes depending on how set you prefer your eggs; 10 minutes will provide a runny yolk, 12 minutes one that is partially set.
  10. Serve hot with some bread to sop up the yolk.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Shirred Eggs Over Garlicky Swiss Chard” Subscribe

1. Hannah December 9, 2012 at 8:08 am #

What a lovely dish! Lazy Sundays are the best, and to relax and enjoy these eggs would be heavenly. I’ll hope for next Sunday, too! Enjoy your day and the holiday season!
    Hannah recently posted..Konafa (Middle Eastern Cheesecake)My Profile

2. apuginthekitchen December 9, 2012 at 9:05 am #

I never knew what shirred eggs were until now, I made something similar before and just love it, not only for the ease but it tastes great. I love your combination of ingredients. Eggs with greens and cheese is great, just perfect for a lazy Sunday or any day for that matter.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Triple Threat Chocolate Squares-Day 5 of 7 Days of Holiday Cookies And A Give Away!!My Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Shirred eggs were new to me too until a few years ago. I’d heard of them but had no idea what they actually were. They’re really so easy, and aren’t typically over the greens like I did. But I agree with you – eggs, greens and cheese is unbeatable.
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Shirred Eggs Over Garlicky Swiss ChardMy Profile

3. Choc Chip Uru December 9, 2012 at 11:27 am #

What a perfect Sunday breakfast my friend :)

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Guest Post #3: Peanut Butter Banana S’mores BarsMy Profile

4. TasteFood December 10, 2012 at 9:42 am #

This looks wonderful. I could dive into a bowl of that right now.
    TasteFood recently posted..Gløgg – Mulled Spiced WineMy Profile

5. mjskit December 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Oh I love this recipe! We eat a lot of Swiss card and a whole lot of eggs, but have never combined them. Because we love baked eggs, I know that we would both love this recipe! Thanks for this! It’s a keeper!
    mjskit recently posted..Coconut Rice with Pickled PeppersMy Profile

6. Cass @foodmyfriend December 11, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Oh – My – God. This looks like heaven!!! Perfect breakfast. Although, I would totally eat it for lunch or dinner!I have nominated you for a Reality Blog Award. Come collect! :) x http://www.foodmyfriend.com/2012/12/reality-blog-award/comment-page-1/#comment-28013
    Cass @foodmyfriend recently posted..REALITY Blog Award!My Profile

7. Kari@Loaves n Dishes December 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Susan, I just discovered your blog from Cass at Food Is My Friend. I’m so glad that I stopped by. I love your recipes and your photos.
    I am especially enamored of this dish. I love rich shirred eggs, and that you paired it with vitamin rich swiss chard and gruyere makes for such a yummy meal.
    Kari@Loaves n Dishes recently posted..WHIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIESMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks so much Kari! I love Cass’s site, and am so happy for the support she’s been giving me!! Welcome! The shirred eggs are sooo good, I have to admit, and am serving them at Christmas for a holiday breakfast!!

8. kale December 13, 2012 at 11:58 am #

this is precisely the kind of breakfast i would want to wake up to, already prepared for me. because i do not have the presence of mind in the morning to make something this beautiful for myself.
    kale recently posted..the diary of kale: tonsupa/atacames, ecuadorMy Profile

9. Karen S Booth March 23, 2015 at 3:03 am #

Hi Susan! I was your secret recipe maker this month for SRC and this was the lovely recipe I picked to make!
    LOVE your blog and have been a follower for a long time.
    Karen
    Karen S Booth recently posted..A Spring Breakfast Recipe: Shirred Eggs over Kale and Garlic with EspeletteMy Profile