A spiced syrup bursting with apple cider flavors for drizzling over vanilla ice cream, hot apple pie, squash soup, or pancakes.

Apple Cider Syrup : The Wimpy Vegetarian

Over the next couple of days, I’ll be posting a Fig Crostata, reminiscent of the crostatas I fell in love with in Italy, and a Cider-Spiced Sweet Potato Soup. Both of these recipes use an Apple Cider Syrup I make every autumn when ciders begin to appear in the markets. As an introduction to these next two postings, I thought I’d share the syrup recipe separately since it can be used a number of ways:

* Mixed with a little maple syrup (or not) and poured over your morning pancakes;

* Brush as a glaze on pie crusts fresh from the oven;

* A drizzle for apple pie fresh from the oven or over vanilla ice cream;

* An ingredient for a soup, pie, or sauces.

It’s so easy to make and I frequently just need a couple or more tablespoons, so I usually just make one cup of syrup at a time and keep it in the refrigerator. I used cinnamon and cardamom as my spices, but feel free to have some fun with this syrup. Infusing the syrup with ginger or allspice would be wonderful options too!

As a note, if you follow the directions, and apply standard canning practices, this would make a wonderful small gift for family and friends now that the holidays, amazingly, are on the horizon.

Apple Cider Syrup

Makes 1 1/4 cups syrup

• 3 cups apple cider
  • 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
  • 5 cardamom pods, smashed
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar

Combine the apple cider, cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods in a wide-mouthed pot and bring the cider to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer until the cider is reduced to 1 cup of liquid, about 30 minutes.

Strain out the cinnamon and cardamom, and return the liquid to the pot. Add the agave nectar and return the liquid to a boil over high heat. Bring the liquid to 218 degrees F, using a candy thermometer to confirm the temperature.

Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring into a jar.

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Apple Cider Syrup” Subscribe

1. lizthechef October 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Perfect for fall!
    lizthechef recently posted..Grandma’s Recipe of the Month: Apple-Almond Spice MuffinsMy Profile

2. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty October 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I adore apple cider syrup! Though I’ve never tried it with cardamom pods … holy yum.
    Kare @ Kitchen Treaty recently posted..M&M’s Pumpkin BreadMy Profile

3. apuginthekitchen October 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Love this, I will be making it can’t wait to get some cider!!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Simple Concord Grape JamMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks Suzanne! I hope you like it. I’d love to hear what other spices you might use if you experiment with it :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Apple Cider SyrupMy Profile

4. Choc Chip Uru October 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

This syrup sounds like heaven my friend 😀
    Looking forward to the crostata!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..A Premature Happy Holidays!My Profile

5. The Wimpy Vegetarian October 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Oh man, CCU, I gotta tell you the crostata is so good. I made it today and got good enough shots off the camera of it so we could enjoy a piece, or two, tonight. You will love it!!
    The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Apple Cider SyrupMy Profile

6. The Squishy Monster October 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

I ADORE Cardamom and cannot wait to try this!
    The Squishy Monster recently posted..Sweet Potato CupcakesMy Profile

7. Terra October 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Nice!!! I made an apple cider molasses last year, and added it to some cookies. I love this recipe, and really need to try it now:-) It sounds like it would be amazing in almost anything:-) Hugs, Terra

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. #SundaySupper: Cider-Spiced Sweet Potato Soup | The Wimpy Vegetarian - October 6, 2012

[…] soup is one I started making last year when I started experimenting with my Apple Cider Syrup. It went through a number of versions until I finally landed on this one. By the time I had it to […]

2. Fig Crostata | The Wimpy Vegetarian - December 4, 2012